Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

They're behind by a week or two in Southington.  >:( Not sure when they're gonna open.

Anyways a lot of naysayers said Shoprite was gonna be in big trouble moving into the old Shaw's building in Wallingford because it's more or less in-between Stop & Shop and Walmart Supercenter. Well guess what? Sales are up since moving from Meriden at the end of June.

DerangedHermit

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on November 02, 2010, 11:28:40 PM
Anyways a lot of naysayers said Shoprite was gonna be in big trouble moving into the old Shaw's building in Wallingford because it's more or less in-between Stop & Shop and Walmart Supercenter. Well guess what? Sales are up since moving from Meriden at the end of June.

That's because SR is one of the more competitive supermarkets on the East Coast. Stop & Shop seems to push their agenda more by building a critical mass of cookie-cutter stores with average prices, while ShopRite's co-op members are usually aggressive on prices.

Walmart is the 800-pound gorilla of retail, but their stores seem to make sure that no one's ever really happy working or shopping there.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on November 02, 2010, 11:28:40 PM
They're behind by a week or two in Southington.  >:( Not sure when they're gonna open.

Well the latest update is that Southington will be opening Wednesday November 17th, 8 days before Thanksgiving and 1 week later than the November 10th date we were given at Orientation.

ynkeesfn82

Grand Opening Shoprite of Southington Wednesday November 17th 8AM. 750 Queen Street. 860-736-0044. I'll be in the parking lot fetching carriages 5PM-11PM Wednesday/Thursday and 2PM-830PM on Friday.

ynkeesfn82

Grand Opening of Shoprite in Southington was held yesterday. It was jammed packed all day long. I'm not allowed to say how much we made, but what I can tell you is that sales were well above what were projected and we outdid what we made during the Grand Opening of our sister store in Wallingford back in June. No expense was spared and it cost over $7 million to complete gut and overhaul the building. It looks nothing like the Shaw's that used to occupy the building and if you ask me they make better use of the space than Shaw's did. 17 check out lanes of which 4 are self-checkouts and 2 are express lanes.

AmesNewington

Congrats on the success of the Southington Grand-Opening. I'm so jealous of every town with a ShopRite. I SOOO wish Newington would get a ShopRite. We have no decent-priced and service grocery store in town (two Stop and Shops, **blah**, a Price Chopper that could be a lot better service wise **Southington is better**, and Stew Leonards and Aldi are not traditional grocery stores). The Foodmart building is turning real ugly, worse than your Southington Shaw's. Pretty soon it won't need to be demolished by actual machinery. A small ShopRite would be wonderful here. Not everyone in Newington is rich and can afford high prices. I wish the West Hartford store wasn't where it is (near Hartford line). It doesn't have self-checkout mainly for that reason (the new Big Y doesn't either). I see many Newington residents shopping in WH. That is argument enough for a ShopRite here.

ynkeesfn82

Sign for Shoprite Plaza in Southington.

ynkeesfn82

8 months of complete Interior Demolition/Some Exterior Demolition + Construction + nearly $8 Million = The Drust Family Shoprite of Southington. Opened 11/17/2010.

retailisking

ShopRite's next area for expansion is the Capital Region, which it left in 1988 (PriceRite has a single location in Schenectady.)  Judging from the comments, there's a lot of excitement about their possible return.

http://blog.timesunion.com/realestate/on-the-agenda-the-shoprite-planned-for-central-avenue/5645/

The plan for their planned 65,000 square foot store has advanced at Albany's Zoning Board of Appeals.

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Plan-for-new-ShopRite-advances-911986.php

EddieJ1984

Couple months ago the shoprite near me replaced the tacky banners

with permanent signs on it (pic courtesy of flickr user otherstream)

fannnncy  ;D

ynkeesfn82

How 'bout changing the color of that tacky looking building and replacing that old school sign?

DerangedHermit

Is the inside of the store as tacky as the outside?

EddieJ1984

Quote from: DerangedHermit on December 30, 2010, 10:53:42 AM
Is the inside of the store as tacky as the outside?

No self check outs, aisles could be wider, street signs on the corner of some of the aisles of nearby streets.
Nah not tacky  ;D

Here is a pic from the same flickr user (otherstream) of the inside

It last got renovated in the mid 90s when they expanded it (it goes vertical aisles, then horizontal aisles in the part that was expanded)
It is not possible to shop here and not have to wait for someone at some point to get out of the way, lol

A remodel would be nice, get rid of that yellow "Shop Rite...For Everyday Low Prices" sign below the storefront. Put up current logo and the current Shop Rite wordmark and it would be fine, oh and make it a tan/biege concrete since that what everything looks like these days. You know reports are saying that shoprite is now the #1 store in this area, so they should show it by making the store look nicer.

MikeRa

That particular Shop Rite, on Frankford Avenue, was a Food Fair/Pantry Pride until it closed in the late 1970's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3613375474/in/set-72157615211788677/

The Shop Rite on Roosevelt Boulevard also has the old 1974 "Shop Rite" circular logo, and a 1980's "Shop Rite" on the building.  The signs on the "Boulevard Plaza" street signage does have the current style Shop Rite signs.  This particular Shop Rite also expanded into the smaller store that's next to it.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

EddieJ1984

Shop Rite's 40th Anniversary of their CAN CAN sale is starting.
And with that, they have nestle crunch in a retro wrapper (and note that the shop rite part of it is part of the wrapper and not a sticker)

I also hear they may have retro progesso soup cans and such (I'll have to look)
There is also this going on with doritos, frito's and rold gold (this is national tho as i've spotted the retro doritos in other stores)

Man between that, AND pepsi and mountain dew throwback being back (this time the bottles and cans don't have limited time)
There's a whole lot of retroness goin on!

ynkeesfn82

I noticed the Nestle's Crunch at my store right around Christmas time. 40 cents is a kick ass price for it.

I saw the old-school looking Doritos at another store I was in, but it was only one flavor with the old school-looking packaging. All the other flavors had the modern look to them. And there's yet another super spicy flavor. I don't even remember what it was.

EddieJ1984

Yea, it seems to be just the taco flavor, which is fine with me since I like the taco doritos.

retailisking

Do you guys think ShopRite or PriceRite are good candidates to take over the closing Shaw's locations?  Can they effectively compete with Market Basket?

BillyGr

They also had these as the sale for $0.99 this week (with $10 purchase):

retailisking

That's soooo cool!  You gotta hand it to a banner that gets its vendors on board for custom labels like this.

retailisking

Make that TWO ShopRites for the Capital Region...these guys don't waste time, do they?

http://blog.timesunion.com/realestate/retail-watch-new-supermarket-for-slingerlands/

ynkeesfn82

I got next weeks flyer at work today. They also have  retro labels on Hostess Ho-Hos, Tasty Kakes, and Progresso Soup.

retailisking

That's the kind of vendor-level support that customers can embrace.

ynkeesfn82

Forgot to mention that my store #315 in Southington (and most likely our sister store in Wallingford) were giving away a free 12 ounce can of Coke with a Can Can 40th Anniversary logo on it to their customers on Thursday. And it's good for discounted admission at different events at MSG in NYC.

BillyGr

Quote from: Illusions DJ Marc on January 07, 2011, 12:44:54 AM
Forgot to mention that my store #315 in Southington (and most likely our sister store in Wallingford) were giving away a free 12 ounce can of Coke with a Can Can 40th Anniversary logo on it to their customers on Thursday. And it's good for discounted admission at different events at MSG in NYC.

Hudson (NY) store had those out also yesterday, in a box by the specials aisle (they have a double aisle in the center labelled aisle of values) - the sign said for the first 1,000 customers.
I don't know how many people were getting them, though as the box wasn't overly large and could have been easily missed if you weren't looking that way (rather than having them, say, by the door or by each checkout).

The funny part is that when they scan at the register it's labelled on the receipt as a six pack, and rings up $0.50 (shows underneath savings of $3.xx, which I guess is the difference bwtween what a 6 pack might cost and this),then the $0.05 deposit then takes off $0.50 with PP card (so you wind up paying just $0.05 for the deposit, which you could get back if you don't want the can to keep).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on January 07, 2011, 10:56:00 PM
Hudson (NY) store had those out also yesterday, in a box by the specials aisle (they have a double aisle in the center labelled aisle of values) - the sign said for the first 1,000 customers.
I don't know how many people were getting them, though as the box wasn't overly large and could have been easily missed if you weren't looking that way (rather than having them, say, by the door or by each checkout).

The funny part is that when they scan at the register it's labelled on the receipt as a six pack, and rings up $0.50 (shows underneath savings of $3.xx, which I guess is the difference bwtween what a 6 pack might cost and this),then the $0.05 deposit then takes off $0.50 with PP card (so you wind up paying just $0.05 for the deposit, which you could get back if you don't want the can to keep).

At my store whoever was manning the self-checkout lanes (which is right in front of the exit door) was handing the cans out to all the customers. It was amazing how many people refused them. (Why refuse something that's free?) And then you get the "Do you have diet?" - No, you ungrateful brat. Just be thankful you're getting something for free.

RoleModel

The long-rumored Shoprite of Patchogue...now hiring. That toilet flush you might be hearing is the Pathmark next door preparing to kiss their sales goodbye.

ynkeesfn82

I'm surprised it wasn't already on the store closing list.