Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on October 04, 2019, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 30, 2019, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: standa on September 30, 2019, 08:53:19 AM
What was in that spot before Edwards? Was it Woolco?

I remember Waldbaums had a store in Elmwood years ago. What is there now?

I think the ShopRite building was originally either a King's or Grant's department store. The Waldbaums in Elmwood became a Dollar Dreams store in the 2000s and was repurposed in to several mini shops (a small dollar store, nail place, a short lived Joey'z Shopping Spree, and short lived Blast Fitness). They just put in a thrift store too. The plaza is anchored by Price Rite.

Wasn't that where the Caldor former Star was? I believe that was a Star and Food Mart. The Star architecture was cool!!!

Yes! The Caldor became Ames before becoming vacant for about 6 years until PriceRite came in. The Food Mart had the similar appearance of the one up the road in Farmington by the Westfarms Mall where Nordstrom Rack is now. The brown facade. Very old school and simple.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 04, 2019, 06:28:21 PM

I think the ShopRite building was originally either a King's or Grant's department store. The Waldbaums in Elmwood became a Dollar Dreams store in the 2000s and was repurposed in to several mini shops (a small dollar store, nail place, a short lived Joey'z Shopping Spree, and short lived Blast Fitness). They just put in a thrift store too. The plaza is anchored by Price Rite.

Wasn't that where the Caldor former Star was? I believe that was a Star and Food Mart. The Star architecture was cool!!!

Yes! The Caldor became Ames before becoming vacant for about 6 years until PriceRite came in. The Food Mart had the similar appearance of the one up the road in Farmington by the Westfarms Mall where Nordstrom Rack is now. The brown facade. Very old school and simple.

So,  where Nordstrom Rack is  was a Food Mart. There was an Office Max that was in 3 towns. The Front door was in Newington the back door was in Farmington. I worked at that OfficeMax and Route 9 was next to it. I worked in that store and one day,  I was doing the late shift and a  guy was walking out the door with an IBM computer.  When I got in the store, the manager told me he stole it. He parked his car on Rt 9 and stole it, then drove off...

That store manager didn't know about computers, he came from CVS... Office Max was crazy... Especially Enfield Office Max...

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on October 05, 2019, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on October 04, 2019, 06:28:21 PM

So,  where Nordstrom Rack is  was a Food Mart. There was an Office Max that was in 3 towns. The Front door was in Newington the back door was in Farmington. I worked at that OfficeMax and Route 9 was next to it. I worked in that store and one day,  I was doing the late shift and a  guy was walking out the door with an IBM computer.  When I got in the store, the manager told me he stole it. He parked his car on Rt 9 and stole it, then drove off...

That store manager didn't know about computers, he came from CVS... Office Max was crazy... Especially Enfield Office Max...

I don't remember both Food Marts vividly as I was about 4 or 5 years old when Farmington closed. I was in the Elmwood one as Dollar Dreams, which I don't believe changed the interior much. It was quite small. The Farmington one I remember a bit more. It was so similar to Elmwood but bigger. I can recall walking in that store by the Frozen Food aisle. Even then, Food Marts were SO plain looking inside and rundown (but still a great store). Farmington was performing poorly by the early 90s. But they also let that location deteriorate. Maybe grocery stores could get away with a lot more back then. They had the brown "barn" façade with a white FOODMART sign and two Waldbaum's "crown" signs on both sides. As a kid, I was confused at the time as I thought that location was called "Foodmart Waldbaum's Foodmart" LOL. Anyway, it was either in 93 or 94 when they closed it suddenly on April 8th. My parents drove past the store after it closed and either I had a dream about it or it was true, but there was an article in the newspaper vending machine just outside the store about the closure and there were several copies laid out on the sidewalk. I'm not even certain they had a closing sale. Most of the employees were sent to other locations and I even worked with one who was sent to Elmwood and then to the successful Bishop's Corner store when Elmwood closed. 

Of course today that plaza has become semi-high-end with Nordstrom, LA Fitness, etc with the regular mix of stores like Michael's, Petco, Burlington and TJ Maxx.

BillyGr

Just FYI - if anyone is in the Hudson (Greenport) NY area, the former location of ShopRite is currently housing Spirit Halloween store this year.

No idea how much of it may be open, but possibly a chance if anyone wants to see what might be left from ShopRite inside the store.

Everything Community

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 01, 2019, 04:37:39 AM
I worked at the West Hartford ShopRite from 2010-2017. This store always had problems. The family assumed they would do well here for the sake the store was in West Hartford (on the line) and would serve Hartford. The neighborhood around there is not great at all. You really have to know how to run a business down that way. I am so angry when I read the comments on Facebook. The minimum wage and food tax is being used as an excuse for the closure, while in fact, the store has been doing poorly for a long time. When I left there in 2017, they were losing sales. They changed their ad and product offerings to match the Fresh Grocer chain in PA (they took away a lot of the fresh bakery, and changed the deli and seafood) and raised prices throughout. Customers must have noticed this and shopped at other ShopRites if they were able to. The family priced the store out of business. They just had the perfect timing to make these excuses. This was a long time coming. It was a beautiful store when they opened, but the age of that building showed right through. They had a huge rodent problem (I saw a few run across aisles), it still smelled in the back room, they lost power at least twice and had to throw out all their perishables and start over, and also had several electrical issues. My last year there, the power had went out about 6 times in one week. It was pathetic. This on top of the fact they had so many incidents with shoplifting and the store was even robbed in the middle of the day last year just made this decision a bit easier. The one thing I will say is that they had some really good full time staff left here and played great music in the end. I will miss it.

This ShopRite is expected to close in November 2019.

Facts about this store:

-Opened in Mid-2010, replacing Shaw's Supermarket

-Located on the Hartford/West Hartford border line

-There's a nearby Stop & Shop in Hartford (just over 1/4 mile) and a Walmart in Hartford (just about 1/2 mile)

-Was a busy store before the store closing was announced. During our today's visit (10/19), there was not a lot of stuff (limited deli, barely meats, still lots of candy, ice creams, etc...) at this ShopRite.

Reason of closing: Underperforming (terrible sales!) #StoreClosing

AmesNewington

Quote from: Everything Community on October 20, 2019, 04:29:04 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on October 01, 2019, 04:37:39 AM
I worked at the West Hartford ShopRite from 2010-2017. This store always had problems. The family assumed they would do well here for the sake the store was in West Hartford (on the line) and would serve Hartford. The neighborhood around there is not great at all. You really have to know how to run a business down that way. I am so angry when I read the comments on Facebook. The minimum wage and food tax is being used as an excuse for the closure, while in fact, the store has been doing poorly for a long time. When I left there in 2017, they were losing sales. They changed their ad and product offerings to match the Fresh Grocer chain in PA (they took away a lot of the fresh bakery, and changed the deli and seafood) and raised prices throughout. Customers must have noticed this and shopped at other ShopRites if they were able to. The family priced the store out of business. They just had the perfect timing to make these excuses. This was a long time coming. It was a beautiful store when they opened, but the age of that building showed right through. They had a huge rodent problem (I saw a few run across aisles), it still smelled in the back room, they lost power at least twice and had to throw out all their perishables and start over, and also had several electrical issues. My last year there, the power had went out about 6 times in one week. It was pathetic. This on top of the fact they had so many incidents with shoplifting and the store was even robbed in the middle of the day last year just made this decision a bit easier. The one thing I will say is that they had some really good full time staff left here and played great music in the end. I will miss it.

This ShopRite is expected to close in November 2019.

Facts about this store:

-Opened in Mid-2010, replacing Shaw's Supermarket

-Located on the Hartford/West Hartford border line

-There's a nearby Stop & Shop in Hartford (just over 1/4 mile) and a Walmart in Hartford (just about 1/2 mile)

-Was a busy store before the store closing was announced. During our today's visit (10/19), there was not a lot of stuff (limited deli, barely meats, still lots of candy, ice creams, etc...) at this ShopRite.

Reason of closing: Underperforming (terrible sales!) #StoreClosing

Funny you posted this today as I went there this afternoon. It is so sad seeing the store this way as I spent a number of years working there. Many Saturday night/Sunday morning overnights changing tags and signs. Learned a lot and only became stronger as I had to learn to do a lot of things on my own. The change in the weekly ad was not smart on their part. Sales were dropping two years ago and they figured if they changed their offerings in perishable departments, and changed pricing on items you usually have to buy a certain number of, business would boom. But what they did was increase regular pricing drastically compared to other ShopRites and even raised the sale prices on several items on sale in other SRs but were not in their own flyer. They also cut out several promotions that the other SRs had and if you wanted that promotion or price, you'd have to bring another flyer to the service desk. Customers must have noticed this and started shopping elsewhere. The new flyer started three or four months before I left and it was a disaster. Wakefern never sent the right price changes every week for West Hartford's flyer and the Scanning department had to adjust wrong prices on Sunday and even in to Monday as they were found. They lost money on that alone with the amount of free items that had to be given to customers if the price rang up wrong. Perhaps they were trying to sink their own ship all along. The owners were so picky and particular about that store in the beginning but that wore off the past few years. They also never had a great relationship with the landlord.

standa

Does the Shoprite at the Stroud Mall have a mall entrance?

BillyGr

Joeg

Does any one know whom is going to take over the old Shop Rite of West Hartford??  Anybody know what family?? (i.e. Garafalo. Cohen etc)??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on January 05, 2020, 03:52:32 PM
Does any one know whom is going to take over the old Shop Rite of West Hartford??  Anybody know what family?? (i.e. Garafalo. Cohen etc)??

I'm pretty sure Wakefern is done with that location. I doubt they'd ever reopen it. It was a terrible location bordering Hartford. They were doing poor sales for years. Also, competition creeped up on them in the area (Aldi, Walmart expansion) and of course Stop and Shop is one block away. Then of course the people with money from West Hartford went to their Stop and Shops, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Big Y. ShopRite would have been more suitable for Newington. The closest locations for me are East Hartford and Cromwell.

Bdubs

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 05, 2020, 06:03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure Wakefern is done with that location. I doubt they'd ever reopen it. It was a terrible location bordering Hartford. They were doing poor sales for years. Also, competition creeped up on them in the area (Aldi, Walmart expansion) and of course Stop and Shop is one block away. Then of course the people with money from West Hartford went to their Stop and Shops, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Big Y. ShopRite would have been more suitable for Newington. The closest locations for me are East Hartford and Cromwell.

Yeah, that store was dumpy when it was a Shaw’s. Everything from the old walk in coolers to the freezer units in that store dated back to the Edwards days, they did very few upgrades. Shaw’s did a horrible job maintaining their stores, before they ceased operations in CT I serviced nearly every one in the state, and out of all of them I’d say East Hampton and East Hartford were probably the only 2 stores in the best shape.  Anyone going into that store would have to do a complete gut out, and if you’re familiar with that area it’s not one of the nicest either.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Bdubs on January 07, 2020, 06:41:56 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on January 05, 2020, 06:03:02 PM

Yeah, that store was dumpy when it was a Shaw’s. Everything from the old walk in coolers to the freezer units in that store dated back to the Edwards days, they did very few upgrades. Shaw’s did a horrible job maintaining their stores, before they ceased operations in CT I serviced nearly every one in the state, and out of all of them I’d say East Hampton and East Hartford were probably the only 2 stores in the best shape.  Anyone going into that store would have to do a complete gut out, and if you’re familiar with that area it’s not one of the nicest either.

ShopRite tried to fix the salesfloor up as best they could and they kept it clean the whole time they were there, but the backroom was old and in disrepair. Probably mostly the same as Edwards. It smelled so bad at times because of the old trash compactor. I think the building has seen its day. I believe Shaws was looking to demolish the building at one point and start over, but that never happened.

You are right on the neighborhood. The store was more of a headache than anything. 

MikeRa

Wakefern's The Fresh Grocer store at 40th & Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA, is set to close next month
https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/02/fresh-grocer-penn-shut-down-acme
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Brammy

ShopRite in Southington, CT took out 3 registers - 2 Express and one Main line and replaced them with 4 additional self checkouts. The new self checkouts are expected to come online next week.
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

Geez... I really feel like I'm at Price Chopper again! Grand Opening Day at ShopRite. Today was a blast in Vernon, CT. If you live in this area, you need to go there (I'm serious!) next time you're around grocery shopping at the site of the former Price Chopper.

Highlights of this store:
-24 aisles
-12 checkouts
-Pharmacy opened during conversion before the whole store opened.
-The Corner Cafe (new at newly opened/remodeled ShopRites)
-Busy store (though not as slow for checkouts!!!)

standa

Which other CT Shop Rites have a Corner Cafe?

Brammy

Quote from: standa on March 09, 2020, 12:01:06 PM
Which other CT Shop Rites have a Corner Cafe?

It's not called Corner Cafe, but Southington has a cafe. They have a hot food bar and salad bar and 5 tables. Waterbury (which was previously was a Price Chopper) has a cafe.
The Real Brammy

JimSawhill

Quote from: Everything Community on March 08, 2020, 08:59:26 PM
Geez... I really feel like I'm at Price Chopper again! Grand Opening Day at ShopRite. Today was a blast in Vernon, CT. If you live in this area, you need to go there (I'm serious!) next time you're around grocery shopping at the site of the former Price Chopper.

-24 aisles
-12 checkouts

Is this Shop-Rite in the old Grants/Ames space of Tri-Cities Plaza? I know that Buzzuto's had an Adams in the old Finast/Edwards space. What is there now? I wonder who is in the old D&L space...

Everything Community

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 28, 2020, 03:28:10 PM

-24 aisles
-12 checkouts

Is this Shop-Rite in the old Grants/Ames space of Tri-Cities Plaza? I know that Buzzuto's had an Adams in the old Finast/Edwards space. What is there now? I wonder who is in the old D&L space...

Yes, that ShopRite is where Grants\Caldor\Ames\Price Chopper used to be over the years. It is now the training center for the Hartford Hospital. Don't know about D&L.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Everything Community on March 28, 2020, 08:47:38 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 28, 2020, 03:28:10 PM

-24 aisles
-12 checkouts

Yes, that ShopRite is where Grants\Caldor\Ames\Price Chopper used to be over the years. It is now the training center for the Hartford Hospital. Don't know about D&L.

Thank you... Does anyone know about the old Shaw's in Vernon?

Brammy

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 30, 2020, 07:06:42 AM
Thank you... Does anyone know about the old Shaw's in Vernon?

The Vernon Shaw's became Stop and Shop in 2010.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

ShopRite in Bristol has closed their pharmacy. I was there yesterday and there was a sign where the pharmacy used to be that said This ShopRite Pharmacy Location is closed Permanently. There may have been other things on the sign but there were things that partially blocked the sign.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

My friend took me to the Cromwell, Connecticut ShopRite yesterday. Part of it is in the former Xpect Discounts and part of it is in part of the former KMART. I like the store. It's nicer than the Southington location and even though it's smaller than than the Southington store, it doesn't seem as cramped.
The Real Brammy

EddieJ1984

The Shoprite of Yardley, PA recently expanded their self checkout to be alot of registers, like how Walmart's and some Giants have them.

The Shoprite of Bordentown, NJ now finally has Self Checkout registers (but in the regular style). They are still keeping up the 80s neon decor.

AmesNewington

According to their respective Facebook pages, the owner of the ShopRites of Bristol and Waterbury, CT is retiring at 40 years in the business. He is selling the Bristol store at 1200 Farmington Avenue to Grade A ShopRite which is operated by the Cingari Family with the other stores located in Southern Connecticut. Along with this development, the Cingari family will NOT buy the Waterbury store at 943 Wolcott Road and the store will close within the next few weeks. My family used to shop at the Bristol store for a few years and really didn't like the changes they made to the store toward the end of our shopping tenure there. The employees were always friendly. The store itself is an old and outdated building that spans several decades. I'm wondering what changes will be made to Bristol. The store has virtually no windows except the entryway and exit doors. I've never been to Waterbury. All I know is that it was a former Price Chopper and ShopRite kept the interior pretty much the same according to pictures on Google.

Waterbury is the third ShopRite to close within five years. First West Haven in 2017, then West Hartford in 2019, and finally Waterbury this year. That in no way means ShopRite is doing poorly. In fact they are a solid competitor in the state. They have increased ads on the radio and television in the past year. Cromwell opened a new state of the art store in 2019. They also opened a very nice store in Vernon in 2020 replacing a Price Chopper.

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 09, 2022, 08:00:55 PMAccording to their respective Facebook pages, the owner of the ShopRites of Bristol and Waterbury, CT is retiring at 40 years in the business. He is selling the Bristol store at 1200 Farmington Avenue to Grade A ShopRite which is operated by the Cingari Family with the other stores located in Southern Connecticut. Along with this development, the Cingari family will NOT buy the Waterbury store at 943 Wolcott Road and the store will close within the next few weeks. My family used to shop at the Bristol store for a few years and really didn't like the changes they made to the store toward the end of our shopping tenure there. The employees were always friendly. The store itself is an old and outdated building that spans several decades. I'm wondering what changes will be made to Bristol. The store has virtually no windows except the entryway and exit doors. I've never been to Waterbury. All I know is that it was a former Price Chopper and ShopRite kept the interior pretty much the same according to pictures on Google.

Waterbury is the third ShopRite to close within five years. First West Haven in 2017, then West Hartford in 2019, and finally Waterbury this year. That in no way means ShopRite is doing poorly. In fact they are a solid competitor in the state. They have increased ads on the radio and television in the past year. Cromwell opened a new state of the art store in 2019. They also opened a very nice store in Vernon in 2020 replacing a Price Chopper.

Wonder if the Waterbury location was not doing well - if it was doing well and the other owner didn't want it, it seems surprising that the corporate group wouldn't take it over, even if on a temporary basis to see if they could get one of the many other owners to take it, rather than losing the store totally.

AmesNewington

Quote from: BillyGr on September 10, 2022, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 09, 2022, 08:00:55 PMAccording to their respective Facebook pages, the owner of the ShopRites of Bristol and Waterbury, CT is retiring at 40 years in the business. He is selling the Bristol store at 1200 Farmington Avenue to Grade A ShopRite which is operated by the Cingari Family with the other stores located in Southern Connecticut. Along with this development, the Cingari family will NOT buy the Waterbury store at 943 Wolcott Road and the store will close within the next few weeks. My family used to shop at the Bristol store for a few years and really didn't like the changes they made to the store toward the end of our shopping tenure there. The employees were always friendly. The store itself is an old and outdated building that spans several decades. I'm wondering what changes will be made to Bristol. The store has virtually no windows except the entryway and exit doors. I've never been to Waterbury. All I know is that it was a former Price Chopper and ShopRite kept the interior pretty much the same according to pictures on Google.

Wonder if the Waterbury location was not doing well - if it was doing well and the other owner didn't want it, it seems surprising that the corporate group wouldn't take it over, even if on a temporary basis to see if they could get one of the many other owners to take it, rather than losing the store totally.

This happened to West Hartford. I worked at that store but wasn't there when it closed. The store was not making a profit. The owners decided to close it and corporate must have not wanted to keep it going. There was more theft there than buying, so I assume that was the same case in Waterbury. When the owners of the Enfield store wanted to sell, the Garafalo family partially took over with Wakefern sharing ownership, as Enfield is far away from the other Garafalo owned ShopRite stores. However, perhaps Enfield was more profitable, and they felt there was potential to keep it open instead of shutting it down.

Brammy

The Cingari Family plans on a major renovations for their newly acquired store in Bristol. There is a big article on the front page of today's Hartford Courant. The article on the Courant's website is for subscribers only. I would have bought a copy of the paper, but it's $4.

Also worth noting The Cingnari Family also just finished renovations of the Norwalk store.
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Just noted that this wasn't posted.

ShopRite (Wakefern via their subsidiary ShopRiteStores) has decided to close all 5 locations in the greater Albany NY area.

These stores have been opened over the last 12 years, after then member Big V closed the original stores in the Albany area back in the 1980's.

Stores are in Niskayuna, Albany, Colonie, Slingerlands and North Greenbush (The most recent, opening in late 2017).

They will be closing by December 9th, starting with 30% off all remaining items as of today 10/29.  Some sections were already cleared out (such as health & beauty).

The next closest store in Hudson will remain open, as will the PriceRite location in Schenectady (both predate these other stores opening).

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on October 29, 2023, 05:55:18 PMJust noted that this wasn't posted.

ShopRite (Wakefern via their subsidiary ShopRiteStores) has decided to close all 5 locations in the greater Albany NY area.

These stores have been opened over the last 12 years, after then member Big V closed the original stores in the Albany area back in the 1980's.

Stores are in Niskayuna, Albany, Colonie, Slingerlands and North Greenbush (The most recent, opening in late 2017).

They will be closing by December 9th, starting with 30% off all remaining items as of today 10/29.  Some sections were already cleared out (such as health & beauty).

The next closest store in Hudson will remain open, as will the PriceRite location in Schenectady (both predate these other stores opening).

This was posted about last week in the "Stores Shutting Down This Year...." thread, as I would do when any business shuts its doors, however there are a few things I would like to add:

- Another ShopRite is closing - in Ellenville, as its lease will not be renewed. This closure is expected to take place effective in the summer of 2024.

- I find it highly concerning how the Price Rite of Schenectady is operating on its own in the region, especially after the closing of the Queensbury store a few years back, and that they may choose to close it in the future.