BERNIE'S TO SHUTTRER ALL 15 STORES

Started by Marc82, January 14, 2010, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

Breaking News from Channel 3 Eyewitness News. Bernie's is filing for bankruptcy and shutting down all 15 stores - 9 in Connecticut, 6 in Massachusetts, and 1 in Rhode Island.

http://www.wfsb.com/money/22238338/detail.html

Whoser

I wonder what will replace the Waterford Store, GameStop Could extend its store. idk.

beachbum2704

UH-OH!!! Our Bernies  in Warwick Rhode Island is in the former Murray's bldg. Another retailer that went out of business quite a while ago. Across the street from the Bernie's is a plaza that is almost empty, only holding a price rite and a work n gear store, that plaza also held a office Depot, Comp USA , Boater's World, and Ritz Camera.

Bdubs

The Bernie's in Waterford is also occupying part of what used to be "Wholesale Depot" a place just like BJ's Clubs, which closed probably 15 years ago or so.  The other half is currently still occupied by Bob's Stores.

Marc82

Update. The Orange Store closed sometime before the Superbowl. Southington and a few others closed this past Sunday. The remaining will close by the end of this week.

Update #2: This may not be the end of the line for Bernie's. If he's able to buy the Bernie's name back hthe owner may open a brand new store in Manchester.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-berniesreborn.artfeb24,0,6334320.story

Bdubs

Today was the last day at Waterford Bernie's.

I really really really wish I got a picture, but on the letterboard sign up near the BERNIE'S insignia on the building, it read "FAIL".  haha.  Work of now former Bernie's employees I take it.

AmesNewington

Apparently, Saturday was the Newington Bernies last day. I just went by it this evening and the sign on the building was still lit up and from what I saw the store was already entirely empty.

Marc82

2 pictures of the Southington Bernie's location. Pictures take yesterday 3/1/2010. They closed on Sunday 2/21/2010. This Bernies was a Waldbaum's Foodmart until 1981 when they moved into The Caldor Village Plaza further down Queen Street where they replaced Village IGA. Bernie's expanded in 2003. Where this entrance and sign is was once a store called Wood-Worker's Warehouse. I had to wait to see what a Southington cop was doing before snagging these shots. Notice in the second picture the computer at the customer service counter is still turned on. As I was getting ready to leave the plaza the landlord went inside the store. I saw the Cornerstone Realty Truck pull up. The guy got out, unlocked the door and went inside.

scottw73

Wasn't there a Consumers Catalog Showroom here at one point??

Marc82

Quote from: scottw73 on March 02, 2010, 09:48:38 PM
Wasn't there a Consumers Catalog Showroom here at one point??

Maybe. Not sure what happened after Waldbaum's Foodmart moved in 81. I wasn't even born then. I'll ask around tho.

ynkeesfn82

Bernie's has canceled its plans to reopen its Manchester store due to the coming of PC Richards.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-bernies-0526-20100525,0,3490406.story