Mall of Memphis

Started by thedisneystore967, March 26, 2005, 02:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedisneystore967

let's each go around and list one dead mall that we know about.....I'll go first.........landmark mall,Alexandria,Virginia

d_fife

a mall that closed I heard was the northway mall in albany across colonie centre that opened in the late 1960s. the mall had montgomery ward and woolworth. Did it have like a KB Toys. lechmere was built behind it in 1987 and to this date it stays vacant. they have a BJs across the street. A marshalls and staples and kids r us and chuck e cheese came to t he mall. Kids r us relocated to northway mall in the late 1990s. chuck e cheese moved. montgomery ward and woolworth closed in late 1997 and the mall died in the late 1990s and got torn down and in 2000 became the area's first target, marshalls (which reloated from inside), linens n things, hit or miss, petco, eb games, staples that relocated from in the mall, citizens bank. the cinema behind is still vacant.

Crawford

Wampanoag Mall---East Providence RI, anchors were Warwick Shoppers World, Cherry & Webb and Almacs Supermarkets, had about 10-15 stores inside
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
a mall that closed I heard was the northway mall in albany across colonie centre that opened in the late 1960s. the mall had montgomery ward and woolworth. Did it have like a KB Toys. lechmere was built behind it in 1987 and to this date it stays vacant. they have a BJs across the street. A marshalls and staples and kids r us and chuck e cheese came to t he mall. Kids r us relocated to northway mall in the late 1990s. chuck e cheese moved. montgomery ward and woolworth closed in late 1997 and the mall died in the late 1990s and got torn down and in 2000 became the area's first target, marshalls (which reloated from inside), linens n things, hit or miss, petco, eb games, staples that relocated from in the mall, citizens bank. the cinema behind is still vacant.

- No, it never had a KB Toys - they were (and still are, I think) in Colonie Center across the street.
- Lechemere may have opened in 1987, but the building was older - it used to be Alpert's Furniture years ago.
- BJ's is actually in the far back (behind Lechmere building & former Cine 10 theaters) - the only way to access it is from Central Avenue or the end of Railroad Avenue (which comes in behind the new Target etc. building).
- The Chuck E  Cheese was where Staples is now - Staples was never inside the mall.

- The mall also had many other mall type stores (CVS, Anderson Little, DejaVu, All for a Dollar, a card place, a Sam Goody for a short time later on and more) and the left hand end (looking from Central Ave.) was conceived as an "off price" center (this is where Marshalls was, along with S&K, a couple discount shoe stores, and later Kids R Us too over a whole side of the hallway).  They never had a food court, but the Woolworth's (center of the mall in the rear) had a harvest house (separated restaurant, rather than just a counter), and there was a pizza place (Ario's) in the center entrance hall.  They even had a chapel (next to Ward's)!

The only remaining buildings from the old mall are the David's Bridal (was Silo at one point, added on later than the rest of the mall), the current Staples/$0.99 cent store building at the front and the empty theater & Lechemere building in the back.

dayville81

Rhode Island Mall - Warwick, RI
    -Old anchors: G. Fox/Filene's, Sears, Cherry & Webb, food court
    -Current anchors: Sears, Kohls, Walmart
    -Problems: Very few small stores, No direct mall connection to Kohls or    
     Walmart
Norwichtown Mall - Norwichtown, CT
   -Old anchors: Styles, Caldor, Stop & Shop
   -Current anchors: Bob's Discount Furniture, Super Stop & Shop
   -Problems: No direct mall connection to Stop & Shop, Several empty
    storefronts, No strong anchor to bring traffic into mall

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
- No, it never had a KB Toys - they were (and still are, I think) in Colonie Center across the street.
- Lechemere may have opened in 1987, but the building was older - it used to be Alpert's Furniture years ago.
- BJ's is actually in the far back (behind Lechmere building & former Cine 10 theaters) - the only way to access it is from Central Avenue or the end of Railroad Avenue (which comes in behind the new Target etc. building).
- The Chuck E  Cheese was where Staples is now - Staples was never inside the mall.

- The mall also had many other mall type stores (CVS, Anderson Little, DejaVu, All for a Dollar, a card place, a Sam Goody for a short time later on and more) and the left hand end (looking from Central Ave.) was conceived as an "off price" center (this is where Marshalls was, along with S&K, a couple discount shoe stores, and later Kids R Us too over a whole side of the hallway).  They never had a food court, but the Woolworth's (center of the mall in the rear) had a harvest house (separated restaurant, rather than just a counter), and there was a pizza place (Ario's) in the center entrance hall.  They even had a chapel (next to Ward's)!

The only remaining buildings from the old mall are the David's Bridal (was Silo at one point, added on later than the rest of the mall), the current Staples/$0.99 cent store building at the front and the empty theater & Lechemere building in the back.

NEW UPDATE - On today's news & in the paper there is interest from Lowes in tearing down both the Lechemere and the Theater buildings and putting up a new Lowes store - this building will face the northway.  Maybe they can also fix the roadway (that goes back to BJ's - it gets quite narrow with a sharp turn due to the theater building).

d_fife

NEW UPDATE - On today's news & in the paper there is interest from Lowes in tearing down both the Lechemere and the Theater buildings and putting up a new Lowes store - this building will face the northway.  Maybe they can also fix the roadway (that goes back to BJ's - it gets quite narrow with a sharp turn due to the theater building).

lowe's coming there. that is not anything unusual. lowe's always wants to build something. it is about time those eyesores (old lechmere and cinema as even grass was growning in the parking lot) got torn down. I bet lowe's won't open until summer or fall 2007. it takes longer to build stuff!

I just found the article after seeing this and here it is.

from http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=443286&category=BUSINESS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=1/25/2006

Northway Mall  

By ALAN WECHSLER, Business writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Wednesday, January  

from COLONIE -- The long-empty Lechmere and Cinema 10 buildings at Northway Mall will be torn down to make room for a Lowe's home-improvement superstore if a proposal before the village of Colonie Planning Commission is approved.
Advertisement

The retailer first approached the village in October about the $5 million, 170,000-square-foot project.

Paperwork filed with the village shows the store would be built on 14.5 acres between the BJ's Wholesale Club store and the big-box strip center anchored by Target, Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts and an Eddie Bauer outlet. The Lowe's building would face the Northway.

Lechmere, a home and electronics store owned by Montgomery Ward, closed in 1997. Cinema 10 closed in 2000.

The project needs approval from the village Planning Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals. Variances on parking, green space and the use of outdoor speakers are being sought from the ZBA.

While the company says there is only room for half the parking spots required under village law, engineers said Lowe's stores in the busy Boston area did fine with fewer parking spots than available here.

Colonie-based Clough, Harbour & Associates LLP, Lowe's engineers on the project, says the store would generate 160 fewer vehicles during the peak of weekday business than when Lechmere and Cinema 10 were in operation. However, the store would bring 50 more vehicles on weekend peak times.

Robert Jess, site manager for Lowe's, declined to comment Tuesday. Jennifer Smith, a spokeswoman for the Mooresville, N.C.-based Lowe's Cos. Inc., said the company is planning to add 150 to 160 stores in the United States this year.

"Certainly we know consumers are driven by convenience," said Smith, who declined to discuss details on the new store. "As we site our stores, we want to make sure the shopping area is convenient to our customers."

Lowe's operates about 1,100 U.S. stores and plans to expand into Canada in 2007. The company is No. 2, behind Atlanta-based Home Depot Inc., in home-improvement sales.

KyleRF

Landmark isn't a dead mall just yet! I went there last year, at 7:00 P.M., and it was quite crowded! Even the Lord and Taylor was!

jmn3

As far as Landmark Mall - has Federated said anything about keeping the Hecht's store open long-term?  I know there's a Macy's down the road at Springfield Mall and I believe there is one up the road a bit at Pentagon City.  Last time I was there a few years ago, Hecht's was pretty busy.  What a weird mall it would be if it ended up with Lord & Taylor and Sears as the only anchor stores.

jmn3

In Buffalo we have a few dead malls, but the one that was the mall that I went to as a kid was always the Seneca Mall.  It's not only dead, but buried at this point!

Opened in 1969

Original anchor stores - Penneys (with the 60's logo and decor), Sattler's (a local chain of off-price discount department stores), and Wm. Hengerer Co. (One of the original chains that were part of the Associated Dry Goods Co.).  Smaller anchors were LL Berger, The Sample, Kleinhans, and Gutman's (all with their own exterior entrances).

1981 - Associated Dry Goods mergers Hengerer's with Sibley's (their chain based in Rochester).  The name is hyphenated for a bit but eventually becomes just Sibley's

1982 - The Sattler's chain goes out of business.  The store is basically closed up and never used again.  Plans to turn the first floor into a food court and the second floor into an area with upscale boutiques never happened.  Eventually as part of a major renovation in the mid-80's, a few stores were placed in the area of the store that was the mall entrance.

1985 - McKinley Mall opens in Hamburg, about 3 miles from Seneca Mall.  Many stores are duplicated at each mall, but the anchors do not.  The mall is completely updated and seems to dodge a bullet.

1986 - Associated Dry Goods is merged with May Department Stores Co.

1988 - Construction begins on the Walden Galleria in Cheektowaga, about 5 miles north on the Thruway

1988 - Sibley's becomes the first tenant at Galleria about six months before the rest of the mall opens

1989 - Sibley's closes the Seneca Mall store, the Galleria opens in May, Penneys closes their Seneca & Thruway Mall stores upon opening their new Galleria store.

1989 - all other major stores and minor anchor stores close during 1989.  Kleinhans (mens clothing store) hangs on for another year or two and then closes, just prior to the entire chain being shut down.

1992 - The last apparel store, Lane Bryant, closes after being in the mall since it's inception in 1969

1994 - Pyramid Cos (new owner) demolishes the entire mall to make way for a power center

1997 - Tops opens a Tops International Super Center on the site.  

1999 - K-Mart opens up

At this point, the rest of the site remains rubble and a mess after the demolition of the mall almost than 12 years ago.  Most people figure that Pyramid doesn't want to develop the site figuring it will hurt their other local property, Walden Galleria.

KyleRF

I will guess that it will become a Bloomingdale's or if Boscov's buys the store, a Boscov's. I say Boscov's because it has purchased some stores in the nearby area.

There is a large Hecht's at Ballston Common in Arlington, Virginia.

What's happeneing with that Hecht's, as that is where the headquarters is?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
I will guess that it will become a Bloomingdale's or if Boscov's buys the store, a Boscov's. I say Boscov's because it has purchased some stores in the nearby area.

There is a large Hecht's at Ballston Common in Arlington, Virginia.

What's happeneing with that Hecht's, as that is where the headquarters is?

i also think Boscov's and Nordstrom should pick up some old filenes locations that wont become macys
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

cool info on Seneca Mall jmn3. I haven't gotten around to updating my Seneca Mall commentary for www.deadmalls.com. Maybe I should, huh? hehe

Zayre88

Wow, i posted the topic of the Auburn Mall at deadmalls.com and they really noticed it at the Sun Journal of Lewiston:

--------------
Published : Friday-December 02, 2005

Retailers hope mall comes back
By Carol Coultas,Business Writer

Since October, the Auburn Mall has been posted on www.deadmalls.com.

Ouch.

The posting - the only one for a mall in Maine - underscores the perception that the once vibrant retail complex is gasping for breath. The Web site founders tour the country looking for under-performing or dying malls.

So it's no surprise that some Auburn Mall tenants are happy to hear there's a new owner who's planning to breathe life into 26-year-old complex. Local developer George Schott bought the mall Thursday.

"It would be a real positive to have a new influence in the mall," said John Caringi, manager of JCPenney. "Anybody purchasing the mall and looking to stimulate future growth is welcome." ...

http://www.sunjournal.com/search/story.php?ID=134101#

d_fife

here is the mountain valley mall in north conway  built in 1980 and had 26 stores. it will be redeveloped into a lowe's with hannaford at its current place and jc penny and some stores in the mall will relocate. kmart closed in november 2000 and it led to more stores in the mall closing

from 'http://www.kgiproperties.com/properties/location/9/

d_fife

here is the mountain valley mall in north conway  built in 1980 and had 26 stores. it will be redeveloped into a lowe's with hannaford at its current place and jc penny and some stores in the mall will relocate. kmart closed in november 2000 and it led to more stores in the mall closing

more mt valley mall in conway nh

d_fife

d_fife

view of the mt. valley mall in conway

Zayre88

The Windham Mall looks pretty dead according to the Redstone flyer.  Most of the small stores in the enclosed section are closed.  Hannaford and Big Lots are the two anchors but the mall does not appear to thrive at all.  

Home Depot is now located at the back corner of Hannaford and is almost as big as the mall itself.  I wonder how long will they keep that small, almost dead mall like that.

(red stores are vacant)

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
The Windham Mall looks pretty dead according to the Redstone flyer.  Most of the small stores in the enclosed section are closed.  Hannaford and Big Lots are the two anchors but the mall does not appear to thrive at all.  

Home Depot is now located at the back corner of Hannaford and is almost as big as the mall itself.  I wonder how long will they keep that small, almost dead mall like that.

(red stores are vacant)

I noticed that. I went to windham oiver a month ago and saw some stores gone and Fashion bug was no longer in the mall!!! the mall opened in 1980 and bradlees closed 10 years ago gand is now Big lots and the cinema. i bet the enclosed section will turn into a part of remaing stores and for a space for one bigger store, but all the other stores are in south portland which is a half hour from there. I saw home depot near the mall and it was in the now hiring section at the time. malls like that die slowly.

d_fife

SMALLER CLOSED MALLS IN MASS:

billerica mall: this mall was built in summer 1975 with a 84,180 square foot kmart, a 41,700 square foot Market Basket and a 52,000 square foot Almy's. almy's closed in 1987 and became Burlington coat factory. the mall has baskin robins, papa gino's. the cinema opened in the 1980s and closed years ago. the mall had TJ maxx and Cherry and WEbb. over the years the mall has seen more stores close. When I went in there in 2000, there were 5 stores left in the indoor part. The kmart must have been remodeled inside and outside. but the old kmart logo was still on the mall's sign. the indoor part is slated to become Home depot, but residents and the town are trying to fight the home depot. The mall is 275,000 square feet.

Chelmsford mall: it opened in the mid 1970s with King's and Child World. King's closed in the 1982 and became a 100,000 square foot Bradlees. The mall was enclosed and had like 20 stores. The mall had Channel store or F&M drug. indoor stores were radio shack etc. The indoor part closed in the late 1999s and Worlds gym came. Child world closed in 1992 and became MVP Sports. bradlees closed in 2001 and became a remdoeled Kohl's. The Chelmsford mall was remodeled and renovated and the every thing except for Kohl's was gone as MVP (Decathalon) closed in 2003. The plaza got STaples, linens n things, michael's crafts, stop and shop pharmacy in 2003-2004. the mall is a whole new plaza!!! wioth a new name and refurbished. the mall was 200,000 square feet and in chelmsford mass on chelmsford st off Rt. 3.

Mystic mall: opened late 1970s with Kmart and Market basket. The kmart closed in early 1980s and became Stuart's that closed in 1995. it is 280,000 square feet and on fith ave near the tobin bridge and in Chelsea mass. adam's furniture replaced stuart's. When I saw the mystic mall in 2002, stuart's labelscar was on the sign.

HArborlight mall: it was in weymouth mass several miles from the highway and near the hingham townline on Rt.3A. it opened in 1976 with a 84,180 square foot kmart and Purity supreme. it had smaller store and was an enclosed mall. kmart closed in 1981 and became stuart's in 1985, that closed in 1991 and became building 19. the mall closed and many smaller stores closed. The mall was demolished and rbuilt into a plaza with lowe's, linens n things, papa gino's and staples in 2002.

Springdale Mall in springfield mass opened in the late 1960s / early 1970s with lechmere, child world and a 74,000 square foot bradlees and TJ maxx. child world closed 1992 and lechmere closed november 1997. the mall died and became a Lowe's in 2000. bradlees closed in 2001 and became a modernized and relocated Stop and Shop in 2002..

d_fife

the methuen mall in methuen mass off rt, 213 on pleasant valley road was 500,000 square feet and opened in 1974. It had Jordan MArsh and SEars and 70 stores. the mall was older. the mall had applebee's, KB toys, suncoast, hallmark store. The mall met its fate in 1991 when the larger and modernized rockingham park mall opened in salem new hampshire 5 miles away and Sears moved to salem and so did many stores over the years. Jordan marsh moved to salem's mall in 1994. ann and hope replaced Sears for a couple years before it closed in early 1996. the remaning mall stores closed in march 1997, though a little over half were open in the mall's last year. The mall was rumored to become offices, but it got demolished in early 1999 and rebuilt into a newer and more modernized 500,000 sf plaza called the Loop in summer 2000 with a huge lowe's theater, Home depot, borders books, old navy, yankee candle, famous footwear, gap, chico's, kb toys, marshalls, wendy's, tgi, olympia etc.

assembly square mall opened in late 1980 with a 95,000 squrae foto kmart and a 79,000 square foot jordan marsh. It had 60 stores and a kb toys, mcdonald's cherry and webb and the mall was  built on this plant. it was off rt. 93 near the boston line., the mall closed in 1997. jordan marsh became macy's in spring 1996 and macy's closed in 1997. kmart was remodeled in teh early 1990. macy;s became building 19 and that closed in early 2004 or 2005. the assembly square mall, EXCEPT kmart, was demolished in 2005 and in late 2005 rebuilt into a power center with sports authority, ac moore, tj maxx n more, christmas tree shops, staples and bed and bath and beyond

fairfield mall was in chicopee mass off rt 90 on memorial drive and had 60 stores with a 115,000 square foot bradlees and a 90,000 square foot caldor. the mall had a food court and kb toys and opthers. a lot of stores closed in the late 1990s early 2000s and caldor closed 1999. bradlees closed 2001. the whole mall except braldees was demolished. home depot opened in august 2002 and bradlees was demolished and rebuilt into a 145,000 sqauare foot wal-mart. the old pizza hut became 99 resutarant. the out of parcel ocean state job lots remained. the rest of the former property was rebuilt into marshalls, staples, iparty and more in 2005.

d_fife

Wow, i posted the topic of the Auburn Mall at deadmalls.com and they really noticed it at the Sun Journal of Lewiston:

--------------
Published : Friday-December 02, 2005

Retailers hope mall comes back
By Carol Coultas,Business Writer

Since October, the Auburn Mall has been posted on www.deadmalls.com.

Ouch.

The posting - the only one for a mall in Maine - underscores the perception that the once vibrant retail complex is gasping for breath. The Web site founders tour the country looking for under-performing or dying malls.

So it's no surprise that some Auburn Mall tenants are happy to hear there's a new owner who's planning to breathe life into 26-year-old complex. Local developer George Schott bought the mall Thursday.

"It would be a real positive to have a new influence in the mall," said John Caringi, manager of JCPenney. "Anybody purchasing the mall and looking to stimulate future growth is welcome." ...

http://www.sunjournal.com/search/story.php?ID=134101#

I wonder what they will do to the vacant sections. I am going to the mall soon as I will package going there with going to the new target in topsham. I bet porteous and some vacant near mall space will be torn down and rebuilt into Target. the mall needs to be updated.

Zayre88

They desperately need a new anchor store.  They can't attract more small stores without a replacement for Porteous.  There is room to build a new Target.  

I even saw a file at Atlantic Retail showing that Sears was located at the Auburn Mall.  I thought they wanted to move the Lewiston store to Auburn in a bigger, new building at the mall as part of a revitalization peoject... !  I really don't know what will really happen.

http://www.atlanticretail.com/pdf/AuburnME_Plaza.pdf

BillyGr

Here are current photos of the (former) Lechemere and Cine 10 Theater building in Northway mall as they are today (3/3)

d_fife

Here are current photos of the (former) Lechemere and Cine 10 Theater building in Northway mall as they are today (3/3)

they will be torn down to be rebuilt into lowe's.

d_fife

They desperately need a new anchor store.  They can't attract more small stores without a replacement for Porteous.  There is room to build a new Target.  

I even saw a file at Atlantic Retail showing that Sears was located at the Auburn Mall.  I thought they wanted to move the Lewiston store to Auburn in a bigger, new building at the mall as part of a revitalization peoject... !  I really don't know what will really happen.

http://www.atlanticretail.com/pdf/AuburnME_Plaza.pdf

I went to the auburn mall yesterday. there are like 10 vacant stores. Porteous is still vacant. They have hot topic in. There does not appear to be room for Porteous to expand to A target and it said on something porteous was 60,000 sf. a bank was vacant. the jc penny has old school lettering.

Zayre88

Many Target stores are 125,000 sf.  (twice the size of Porteous)  They could expand on all sides and take up some vacant stores that are near the mall entrance of Porteous. Parking would probably be too tight. (see picture)

Something has to happen for that Mall.  Target could open in JCPenney because there is more room to grow and more parking.  Then, JCPenney would open a new store in the former Porteous .

Target could also choose to go the possible new retail center near exit 80 in Lewiston.

d_fife

Many Target stores are 125,000 sf.  (twice the size of Porteous)  They could expand on all sides and take up some vacant stores that are near the mall entrance of Porteous. Parking would probably be too tight. (see picture)

Something has to happen for that Mall.  Target could open in JCPenney because there is more room to grow and more parking.  Then, JCPenney would open a new store in the former Porteous .

Target could also choose to go the possible new retail center near exit 80 in Lewiston.

what new possible retail  center near 80 in Lewiston?????

now back to, auburn mall, I still found that mall outdated. But how were there less vacancies? They still need to get porteous filled!