Please do not clutter our forums...

Started by Mobil, October 30, 2008, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

by posting pictures of every location of a current store you know of. Post ones that are unique. d fife and wiseguy93 are the repeat offenders here.

This coming from a three-year veteran of these forums. :yup:

Marc82

You don't like it, then leave. And don't let the door hit you on the way out. You've contributed absolutely nothing of substance to these forums.

Mobil

You don't like it, then leave. And don't let the door hit you on the way out. You've contributed absolutely nothing of substance to these forums. [/quote]

I started posting on this site under a different name when these forums were new. And I try to share as much knowledge as I can but all the major threads were started by then. What I contribute is intended to help this site. If I did not start some of the forums I did, those stores would be lost and forgotten.

All these posters live near me: storehistoryguy, MBZ321, MikeRa, videogamer75, patk, DefunctStoreKing, darkmoon9, KyleRF, and thedisneystore967.

There is much more important stuff to post than current stores.

powersbt

What was your original name??

I don't agree at all about you not contributing anything to the Board. It seems like you do have knowledge to share.

I'm not a fan of dfife's 584,258,755 photos taken from his car, but in his defense, he really has not been doing a lot of posting on here lately, and what little he has been posting, has been in off topics. To say that he is cluttering the board now wasn't needed. The other one you mentioned really never seems to give any problems as far as I see.

There's a couple of things on this board that bother me, but that's my problem. If I don't like it, then I can leave.

Just my 2 cents about it all.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
You don't like it, then leave. And don't let the door hit you on the way out. You've contributed absolutely nothing of substance to these forums.

I started posting on this site under a different name when these forums were new. And I try to share as much knowledge as I can but all the major threads were started by then. What I contribute is intended to help this site. If I did not start some of the forums I did, those stores would be lost and forgotten.

All these posters live near me: storehistoryguy, MBZ321, MikeRa, videogamer75, patk, DefunctStoreKing, darkmoon9, KyleRF, and thedisneystore967.

There is much more important stuff to post than current stores. [/quote]

Not to add to base of the arugument of your post going on here BUT ............................................Do me a small quick favor and delete your older account if you do not use it. Or...........give me the name and I will delete it for you. Thats a pet peeve because people have "5 posted" an account and DO NOT USE IT ANYMORE. So thanks.

[Side note] Dont get to crazy on arguing on here or I have to be an Admin and help out. :insane:
JN

C. Fontaine

Like Marc82 said, if you don't like it then leave.  We can't please everyone with the format here, but there is no problem with people posting photos of stores current and past.  It's what we've encouraged for years.  The massive amount of bandwidth this site uses isn't free, and I'm glad to see people taking advantage of it.

Mobil

The problem with all those pictures is that they take up valuable space. There are many uses here for current store photos, like if there are only a few for any one chain. If there is something unique about the specific store or plaza, then post. Or if you are showing the unique store designs of chains.

In fact, I wanted to add threads on major establishments that are not actually retail stores, and major product lines.

Another offense is posting stores which are small and not unique, such as every discount grocery store you know of. Many of these businesses are very small, have no history of their own, and are probably cheap junk. Try to post topics that others would be interested in.

And I used to post anonymously for just a short time 3 years ago. For 3 years I did not post until I became Mobil.

kendra

Although not wishing to take sides, after some consideration I did want to share my thoughts on the matter.

I haven't posted here much (though I've been lurking for awhile) -- nevertheless, I find these forums to be an invaluable resource for anyone who is interested in retail history. I'm sure that we're probably all here for slightly different reasons, having an affinity for certain chains (live or defunct), or at the very least hailing from different parts of both the United States and Canada. So what may seem pointless and redundant, or irrelevant, to one individual may be considered valuable to another. What one person may consider a nuisance to the forums may be something extremely helpful to a fellow member -- so it is kind of rash to assume that no one is benefiting from postings of different "live" retail locations.

Another thing to consider -- I think that we'd all be thrilled if someone, somewhere, had posted a collection of photos depicting various locations of [insert your favorite defunct chain here]. It would be like a visual treasure trove, so to speak...a veritable bounty of recorded history pertaining to your very favorite and long-forgotten-by-many retail chain or location. With retailers shuttering left and right (Linens and Things, Mervyn's, and now Tweeter spring to mind as of late) the slew of photos that some members post of current locations may become very valuable to someone, someday. Perhaps it would be possible to sequester the posts that are merely photos of current chains into their own thread (e.g, "Kmart Photos") and have a separate thread strictly for discussion? Just an idea, at any rate...

Keep in mind, at least, that no forum is going to be perfect except for one that you run, yourself, with an iron fist! :bigsmile: If we can all come here and take what we need, while keeping in mind that the stuff we DON'T need might be useful to someone else, then we can all appreciate these forums for the wonderful resource that they are. :)

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
Although not wishing to take sides, after some consideration I did want to share my thoughts on the matter.

I haven't posted here much (though I've been lurking for awhile) -- nevertheless, I find these forums to be an invaluable resource for anyone who is interested in retail history. I'm sure that we're probably all here for slightly different reasons, having an affinity for certain chains (live or defunct), or at the very least hailing from different parts of both the United States and Canada. So what may seem pointless and redundant, or irrelevant, to one individual may be considered valuable to another. What one person may consider a nuisance to the forums may be something extremely helpful to a fellow member -- so it is kind of rash to assume that no one is benefiting from postings of different "live" retail locations.

Another thing to consider -- I think that we'd all be thrilled if someone, somewhere, had posted a collection of photos depicting various locations of [insert your favorite defunct chain here]. It would be like a visual treasure trove, so to speak...a veritable bounty of recorded history pertaining to your very favorite and long-forgotten-by-many retail chain or location. With retailers shuttering left and right (Linens and Things, Mervyn's, and now Tweeter spring to mind as of late) the slew of photos that some members post of current locations may become very valuable to someone, someday. Perhaps it would be possible to sequester the posts that are merely photos of current chains into their own thread (e.g, "Kmart Photos") and have a separate thread strictly for discussion? Just an idea, at any rate...

Keep in mind, at least, that no forum is going to be perfect except for one that you run, yourself, with an iron fist! :bigsmile: If we can all come here and take what we need, while keeping in mind that the stuff we DON'T need might be useful to someone else, then we can all appreciate these forums for the wonderful resource that they are. :)

Its called our photo gallery.

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php

:mrpink:  Theres other stores besides AMES on there and you can upload I think.
JN

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon

:P I wasn't aware of that, at any rate, so thanks for letting me know...

I wasn't trying to step on any toes, and I'm certainly not complaining, as I've got absolutely nothing to complain about -- just attempting to recognize both sides of an issue, that's all. :)

Crawford

Let's face it, the odds of someone having a photo of Woolco, Mammoth Mart or Grants is pretty rare and those are the ones to savor.  But, I certainly have no problem with seeing photos of current stores. It means there are other people out there sharing the same interest. Now as far as the spelling and legibility of some posts :tumble: just kidding, I can usually decipher what is being said.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon

Yes, the Photo Gallery would be a great place for people to upload pictures.  I created it but it never really did catch on.  The categories are pretty simple and yes, anyone can upload any stores to it!

Kendra, I can relate because I've been a packrat all my life.  I never want to throw anything away, or delete, because I feel sometime in the future I or someone will eventually need it.  It seems like whenever I do toss something, a few months down the road I'm wishing I still had it.  I use the same concept for the site and these forums, I figure someday somehow people will eventually need these photo's, stories, etc...

Mobil

Caldor1999 should stop posting the name of every store he knows of in all of his posts. :flaming:

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Caldor1999 should stop posting the name of every store he knows of in all of his posts. :flaming:

That's called his signature you g** da** idiot. Now go away.

C. Fontaine

C'mon enough with the language guys.  We can all just agree to disagree on this topic.  I welcome criticism of our board, but if you want to single out members you can PM me or another admin.  Obviously the majority here finds nothing wrong with the way things are going around here so I do not see a need to change.  The only thing I would like to see is more use of the photo gallery.

XISMZERO

I like things simple: post informatively as to benefit the most of us here. Keep editorial comments out of the main forum and when posting pictures, keep them reasonably sized and don't post doubles. Pictures keep the forum interesting as they are eyes in places we can't all see. As for D_fife, I for one appreciate this contributions (though he hasn't posted much like the rest of us) have been able to do a lot of research from Dan's pictures.

Here's what I don't like: personal attacks, spamming my email box with Yahoo Groups, trite comments cluttering or reposting of information on older topics. There's a page reference for a reason -- if you'd like to cite it, link it and don't repost the picture.

From this point on, if I see any personal attacks, they will be deleted at my behest. We are still a community, we don't have to like everybody, but we certainly don't need any of that here. I won't tolerate it.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Zayre88

As we start 2009, February already... just a reminder to everyone, some of my favorite board rules  ;)

~ Please try to keep the original topics in their sections.

~ Please, no image attachments over 640x480 res, anything higher downsize, post a link, or send on over to one of the admins.

~ No Back to back posting. Please try to post all information within at least one post.

~ If you post a picture that doesn't belong to you, or that is not owned by you in any way, shape, or form, please post credit for the real owner of the picture.(ex. Picture taken by Bob of www.insertwebsitehere.com)

You can see the rest by clicking Board Rules in the top links or here: http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/faq.php?page=forumrules

Here are some tips

~ Double check if the chain is closed before posting a topic in "Closed Chains"

~ Topics about restaurants in "Restaurants" please

~ Do a quick search because most topics about existing and closed chains are already there and most stuff about them can go in there instead of into 5 or 6 new threads about a Circuit City store closing for example.

~ There's a thread for commercials, cars, hotels, general, store bashing, malls, grocery and many more, just check before posting.

Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing stuff and stories about retail past and present! :yup:

C. Fontaine

Great post Zayre...  I second all of that!

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Great post Zayre...  I second all of that!

3Rd here.
JN

scottw73

Ameskid

7th here, and now that a system is supposedly in place, I think it's lock time.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/