I discovered a new blog about discontinued grocery items!

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), September 01, 2019, 11:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

It's called Gone But Not Forgotten Groceries. You'll find various blogs about discontinued foods and drinks there...

Here's the link to the website:
https://gbnfgroceries.blogspot.com/

TheFugitive

Thanks for posting! That is a cool blog!

Some items they cover that I remember fondly:

Buc Wheats - the cereal from the 70's with the flavor of maple syrup.  My mom got on an anti-sugar kick when I was 8 or 9 and quit buying them.  So far as I know they did not contain any actual buckwheat.

Doo Dads - a prehistoric Nabisco version of Chex Mix that included the other extinct Nabisco items Cheese Tid-Bits and Mr. Salty Pretzels.   My grandfather kept his house stocked with all of these.  Doo Dads also contained peanuts, something they'd likely never do today due to the prevalence of peanut allergies.

Koogle - the weird flavored peanut butter.  Disappeared from our shopping list at the same time as Buc Wheats.

Libbyland Dinners - my mom would make these on occasion when she and my dad were going out and they had a sitter coming.

Generic Products - ahh, yes, a creature of the 70's when we were all worried about inflation.  Giant Eagle made a BIG splash with these in the Pittsburgh market.  My dad once brought some of the generic beer back from a business trip to Texas.  I still say those generic potato chips were better than most other brands.