Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on May 30, 2014, 08:11:13 AM
The way I see things there's room in Connecticut for at least 4 more stores.

There are no stores in the New Britain area. That would include: New Britain, Berlin, Newington Rocky Hill, Wethersfield

There are no stores in the Middletown area. That would include: Middeltown, Middlefield, Durham.

There are no stores in Litchfield County. That would included: Torrington, Litchfield, etc.

They can also put one in the Danbury, Newtown, Monroe area.

There is still a Price Rite in Torrington - I think that may have been an old ShopRite store that was converted?  Not that that would stop them from having both a Price Rite and ShopRite there.
Also they list Price Rites in New Britain, Wethersfield and Danbury (I think that one is fairly new, taking over the old A&P).

Ames Newington

I still think Berlin/Webster Square would be a great location for ShopRite. There is plenty of empty storefronts available from Harbor Freight Tools to the current Ocean State Job Lot which is moving. They can build a new building for their store. It would also serve Cromwell and Middletown, and also Rocky Hill and Newington, even Wethersfield. The only thing is that there is a PriceRite down the road from Webster Square in Cromwell, but I don't think it would matter. I'm sure ShopRite would take considerable business from Stop and Shop and even Price Chopper. I loved A&P/Foodmart, but in the end, they clearly weren't competing with the other stores, and the condition of the plaza didn't help. But ShopRite would do well there. They also missed out on the old Middletown A&P as well. You never know when and if there is a new or current family willing to give it a go with a new ShopRite.

standa

Quote from: Marc B on May 30, 2014, 08:11:13 AM
Although a couple were part of separate deals it's been 4 years since Shoprite took over some of the Shaw's stores in Connecticut. The announcement was made in February 2010 and the stores began reopening as Shoprite in May 2010. Shoprite now has 25 locations in Connecticut spread out over 8 owners. If I'm not mistake here's the break down.

Cingari Family

1. Southbury
2. Stamford #1
3. Stamford #2
4. Brookfield
5. Norwalk
6. Derby
7. Fairfield
8. Shelton
9. Stratford

Capano Family

10. New London
11. Norwich
12. Clinton

Garafalo Family

13. Milford
14. East Haven
15. West Haven
16. Hamden

Miller Family

17. Enfield

Drust Family

18. Wallingford
19. Southington

Cohen Family

20. East Hartford
21. Manchester

Joseph Family

22. Canton
23. West Hartford

Tornaquindici Family

24. Bristol
25. Waterbury

The way I see things there's room in Connecticut for at least 4 more stores.

There are no stores in the New Britain area. That would include: New Britain, Berlin, Newington Rocky Hill, Wethersfield

There are no stores in the Middletown area. That would include: Middeltown, Middlefield, Durham.

There are no stores in Litchfield County. That would included: Torrington, Litchfield, etc.

They can also put one in the Danbury, Newtown, Monroe area.

The Stratford Shoprite is actually owned by the Garafalo family.

Joeg

Who knows, is Price Chopper on the way out??  They would do an excellent business if they took over the Price Chopper in Middletown CT.  The should have mad the Shaws in Willimantic a Shop Rite instead of a Price Rite.  How about Branford or Old Saybrook for locations??

Ames Newington

Quote from: Joeg on June 03, 2014, 01:24:45 PM
Who knows, is Price Chopper on the way out??  They would do an excellent business if they took over the Price Chopper in Middletown CT.  The should have mad the Shaws in Willimantic a Shop Rite instead of a Price Rite.  How about Branford or Old Saybrook for locations??

Where did you hear Price Chopper was on their way out?

Joeg

Well, I think they haven't expanded since they opened in Middletown CT in what, 2010.?  I did not think I said they are moving out, but Shop Rite would have alot of opportunites(sic) if Price Chopper were to leave the state.

ynkeesfn82

True. If PC were to leave the state they could put Shoprites in part of locations except for Bristol and Southington. Both have Shoprites already. PC also has stores in Torrington, Newington, Putnam, Vernon, Middletown, and Windsor. Shoprite would not be interested in moving in either city. Bristol does a lot of businesses and though it's on a major commercial strip State Route 6 there are lots of houses, apartments, and condos nearby. As for Southington - they have issues with what they have now.

Bdubs

The PC in Middletown is doing quite well, if anything its one of their best performing stores in CT. Its a great location. Ironic part is that was a Shop rite 20 years ago. A&P bought the lease until they didn't renew in 2009, leaving the door open for competition.
PC just opened a new store last month in Storrs across from the UCONN campus.

I'm hearing rumblings of a possible Shop Rite coming to Colchester.

Joeg

Keep us informed! That would be a logical location, consedring that the closet one is in Norwich.  Were would the one be in Colchester??

Bdubs

There is a Tractor Supply and an recently cleared 18+ acres near Route 11 on Lake Hayward Rd now. Its a prime spot for a big box retail outfit. I'm pretty sure the Capano family would love to open another store. Its a great spot.

Joeg

I would like them also to expanded in W Mass.  Give Stop and Shop/Big Y a run for there money.  Springfield, Westfield, Agawam are just a few locations that pop up.

Joeg

Hey, did everyone read the Hartford Courant on thursday, that they were planning a supermarket across the street from the Rock Cats stadium, and it was going to be a Shop Rite??? The article said the plan fell thru (for now), and it was going to be owned by the owners of Shoprite of Bristol/Waterbury??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on June 21, 2014, 07:30:10 AM
Hey, did everyone read the Hartford Courant on thursday, that they were planning a supermarket across the street from the Rock Cats stadium, and it was going to be a Shop Rite??? The article said the plan fell thru (for now), and it was going to be owned by the owners of Shoprite of Bristol/Waterbury??

FOX 61 is the TV side of the Hartford Courant and they showed on their newscast a drawing that was in the Hartford Courant of a Shoprite. Didn't hear who was supposed to own the store.

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on June 07, 2014, 04:36:52 AM
I would like them also to expanded in W Mass.  Give Stop and Shop/Big Y a run for there money.  Springfield, Westfield, Agawam are just a few locations that pop up.

Maybe in really western MA too (Berkshires), although they do have PriceRite in Pittsfield.

It always seemed sort of surprising that someone didn't come in and pick up stores when A&P was pulling out of the area a number of years ago.  Primarily someone like Price Chopper, given that they have stores in the Berkshires and then to the East around Worcester. 
Looked like a logical "fill in the blank" situation?

Ames Newington

Quote from: BillyGr on June 21, 2014, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Joeg on June 07, 2014, 04:36:52 AM

Maybe in really western MA too (Berkshires), although they do have PriceRite in Pittsfield.

It always seemed sort of surprising that someone didn't come in and pick up stores when A&P was pulling out of the area a number of years ago.  Primarily someone like Price Chopper, given that they have stores in the Berkshires and then to the East around Worcester. 
Looked like a logical "fill in the blank" situation?

There is already a ShopRite in West Hartford on the Hartford line, and a store in downtown Hartford would kill the West Hartford store, as a good portion of the customers come from Hartford.

Furthermore, if an owner was interested in opening a new location in CT, why not look at Webster Square in Berlin? There is plenty of space to rebuild a store. 

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Ames Newington on June 21, 2014, 12:35:29 PM
There is already a ShopRite in West Hartford on the Hartford line, and a store in downtown Hartford would kill the West Hartford store, as a good portion of the customers come from Hartford.

Maybe so Chris, but here is the article.

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-hartford-conn-supermarket-plan-ballpark-20140618,0,3945527.story

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on June 21, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
Quote from: Ames Newington on June 21, 2014, 12:35:29 PM

Maybe so Chris, but here is the article.
http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-hartford-conn-supermarket-plan-ballpark-20140618,0,3945527.story

It mentions that the owner involved here owns stores in Bristol and Waterbury, so apparently the West Hartford store is a different owner.  That might make a difference (his store taking from someone else rather than his own customers)?
So, I guess that leaves the question of what, if anything would the corporation have to say about allowing a second owner to open where they could pull people from an existing ShopRite owned by another?  Kind of like a franchise allowing multiple franchisees in one area - some do and some avoid doing so.
There are areas in NJ where owners overlap fairly closely, but then again many of the other chains have similar closely spaced stores so ShopRite is not the only one, just the one where the stores are separately owned.

ynkeesfn82

West Hartford and Canton are owned by The Joseph Family.

Joeg

The area needs a grocery store no matter if it is a Shoprite or not.  The area does not need a C-Town or Sav a lot or a Price Rite.  It needs a full service supermarket.  How does the West Hartford Shoprite do in business??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on June 22, 2014, 07:46:35 AM
The area needs a grocery store no matter if it is a Shoprite or not.  The area does not need a C-Town or Sav a lot or a Price Rite.  It needs a full service supermarket.  How does the West Hartford Shoprite do in business??

You're right, but except for Stop & Shop grocery stores seem to avoid the inner-city like the plague.

Since they're not going to open in Hartford Mr. Tornaquindici ought to open a Shoprite in the old Shaw's in New Britain. It's in the same boat as Hartford - only one major full-service supermarket - Stop & Shop.

Joeg

What about the Drust Family? They own the SR of Wallingford/Southington stores, so that would be a logical move for them, and also to move into Berlin CT.

Ames Newington

Quote from: Joeg on June 22, 2014, 11:20:21 AM
What about the Drust Family? They own the SR of Wallingford/Southington stores, so that would be a logical move for them, and also to move into Berlin CT.

In a perfect situation, it would be nice for both West Main Street in New Britain and Webster Square Road in Berlin to get supermarkets again. I'm hoping for Berlin the most, but the old Shaw's building in NB is a perfect building for a grocery store.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on June 22, 2014, 11:20:21 AM

They don't have the money.

Joeg

What do you mean??

ynkeesfn82

They still owe money to Wakefern on the loan they got for the Southington store.

ynkeesfn82

Once they get all city approvals from the City of Milford Harry Garafalo hopes to break ground this summer on his replacement Shoprite store where the movie theater used to be. The new Shoprite will be 20% larger than the old one and will have a gas station.

This article talks about Hobby Lobby coming to town and other retail development in town including the new Shoprite.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140423/hobby-lobby-store-is-coming-to-milford

Joeg

Its good to see this project go forward.

MikeRa

In a few short weeks, the ShopRite of Yardley will officially open soon.  This ShopRite is located in the former Super G/Shop N' Save/superfresh site
http://newsroom.shoprite.com/shoprite/news/new-shoprite-to-open-in-yardley-pennsylvania.htm
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Brown's ShopRite of Fairless Hills (Store #427), located at 547 South Oxford Valley road, in Fairless Hills, recently had it's Grand Re-opening.  This location, which was previously a Super Fresh Food Market, first opened in 1999.  This location has a "Brown's Beer Garden", which sells Take out Beer.

2 other Brown's ShopRite has located in them a "Chickie's & Pete's Express", which is a partnership between Brown's Super Stores, Inc., and Chickie's & Pete's Crab House and Sports Bar, and is located at brown's ShopRite of Brooklawn, and Brown's ShopRite of Fox Street.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

A New Shoprite opened in Burlington Township, New Jersey. The 90,000 Square Foot Store replaced one in Willingboro. It's also bringing life back to a long rundown shopping center.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2015/05/14/shoprite-burlington-plaza/27326667/

A new Shoprite opened in at a former KMART location in Howell, New Jersey replacing the one in Lakewood.
http://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2015/04/15/shoprite-howell-lakewood/25827791/