Main Menu

Sears

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmn3

Dude, what's your beef with Sears?  If anything, Sears has stayed truer to it's roots than other department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, or any of the May/Federated brands.  They still carry all of the hardware, tools, appliances, auto centers and electronics along with the clothing lines.  Most of the other stores abandoned a lot of the non-clothing departments years ago.  

I don't mean any offense - but you weren't alive in the 70's or most of the 80's - so how do you know that is when Sears was "good?"  Sears is doing whatever they can in order to survive in the current market.  Unfortunately, for retailers in this type of store (low to mid-price department store), it means going head to head with Wal-Mart.  Hence - Sears Grand.  Will it work?  Who knows - only time will tell.  But I just don't understand the negativity toward the new format or the love of everything old.  Try not to fool yourself, Sears was not so hot or well-loved in the 1980's and they defenitely took a turn for the worse during the 1990's.  

I was just at Sears today and I have to say, I enjoyed what I saw (very helpful staff in the tool area, great selection in appliances and electronics, and even some pretty decent clothing as well).

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
Dude, what's your beef with Sears?  If anything, Sears has stayed truer to it's roots than other department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, or any of the May/Federated brands.  They still carry all of the hardware, tools, appliances, auto centers and electronics along with the clothing lines.  Most of the other stores abandoned a lot of the non-clothing departments years ago.  

I don't mean any offense - but you weren't alive in the 70's or most of the 80's - so how do you know that is when Sears was "good?"  Sears is doing whatever they can in order to survive in the current market.  Unfortunately, for retailers in this type of store (low to mid-price department store), it means going head to head with Wal-Mart.  Hence - Sears Grand.  Will it work?  Who knows - only time will tell.  But I just don't understand the negativity toward the new format or the love of everything old.  Try not to fool yourself, Sears was not so hot or well-loved in the 1980's and they defenitely took a turn for the worse during the 1990's.  

I was just at Sears today and I have to say, I enjoyed what I saw (very helpful staff in the tool area, great selection in appliances and electronics, and even some pretty decent clothing as well).

from what ive seen in pictures and suff Sears look to have been good in the 70's and 80's and i remeber sears pretty wel in teh 1990s but maby the Sears near me when down hill idk but i can never find anything good ther ei do give them credite for selling tools hardwere haveing auto cenetrs and home appliances and such i think that is Sears strong point but when it come to clouths and such thats were sears fales unlike macys or jc penny sears dosent really sell good stuff in that dept i think sears should just stick to hard were and such ut i dont hait them 100% but i dont necley like them in a away but about the Sears Grand store i have never been to one so im just comemetns on what i see and i just dont lie  there lay out they have for a Seas garand but i cant say there so bad ive just had a bad exprices with there stores aroiund hear the only good sears i have ever been to was the one in the Danbury Mall in CT they had bathroom tiles we were looking for there and we tryed everey store and only Sears had it so there not sooo bad but i wish they would inprove on there clouthing line a little bit like JC Penny did them maybe i would see Sears in a Diffrent way bot outher ethen that Sears is good for tools hardware and such
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

I have to agree with you.  Sears is not better or worse that it was years ago.  Many stores i visited are nice and modern and they have a lot of staff at the sales floor to help you!  They do offer most non-clothing lines that other dropped.  Sears is probably the last of its kind with the closing of Wards.  They face stiff competition with Target, Wal-Mart and other retailers like Best Buy and Home Depot.  Sears is going foward with its concept selling what these stores are selling but all under one roof at Sears Mall stores.

Sears Grand is not widespread and the company plans to slow down Sears Essentials openings...  I'm unsure of the future of the company.  It's just hard to stay in the game with fierce competitors from all sides.   Sears is now in Ed Lampert's hands, who knows what is next?

I work at Sears Canada and it's quite hard to predict where the company is heading...  Sears Holdings acquired the division instead of selling it.  We have Martha but not U.S. Sears stores.  Kmart sold Martha but not Sears Essentials wich is a mix of Sears and Kmart.  Sears is at a major turning point right now.

Caldor1999

most like i think they migh GOB but they are doing there best to stay in there but ii think they need to inprove a bit JC Penny did that
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

I have to agree with you.  Sears is not better or worse that it was years ago.  Many stores i visited are nice and modern and they have a lot of staff at the sales floor to help you!  They do offer most non-clothing lines that other dropped.  Sears is probably the last of its kind with the closing of Wards.  They face stiff competition with Target, Wal-Mart and other retailers like Best Buy and Home Depot.  Sears is going foward with its concept selling what these stores are selling but all under one roof at Sears Mall stores.

Sears Grand is not widespread and the company plans to slow down Sears Essentials openings...  I'm unsure of the future of the company.  It's just hard to stay in the game with fierce competitors from all sides.   Sears is now in Ed Lampert's hands, who knows what is next?

I work at Sears Canada and it's quite hard to predict where the company is heading...  Sears Holdings acquired the division instead of selling it.  We have Martha but not U.S. Sears stores.  Kmart sold Martha but not Sears Essentials wich is a mix of Sears and Kmart.  Sears is at a major turning point right now.

I love Sears. Most of my tools are Sears' Craftsman tools. I have an old vacuum cleaner from the 70s that is Sears Brand and still works like it did when it was new, great. If anything JC Penny has gotten worse. I used to like them, but sometime during the 90s they went down hill. They don't have much of a selection and their sales aren't much. Come to think of it the same goes for Macy's too.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

I love Sears. Most of my tools are Sears' Craftsman tools. I have an old vacuum cleaner from the 70s that is Sears Brand and still works like it did when it was new, great. If anything JC Penny has gotten worse. I used to like them, but sometime during the 90s they went down hill. They don't have much of a selection and their sales aren't much. Come to think of it the same goes for Macy's too.

I like Sears too, but their old mall stores are starting to look a little "blah". Penney has gotten slightly better, but nowhere near the selection of stores like Kohl's, but Penney has an awfuly large amount of "urban" targeted clothes and it's hard to just find plain old jeans and t-shirts there. Macy's isn't anything that excites me and I can't remember ever buying anything from Macy's. I usually just walk through it to get to the mall. Very poor selection and very overpriced.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

macys has never gond down hill they always have sales and u can always get soemting nice from there for cheep like i bough a pair of pants and 2 teeshris from there and i only spent $23.00 there thats not bad for 3 things  JC Penny is uslay a hit or miss stire u can eather find soemthing cheep or something over piced there but they have chnaged there selction over the yars Sears just needs to inprove on there clouthing line they should sell the stuff macys and JC eppny have
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Thursday, January 05, 2006
Sales tumble at Sears stores, up slightly at Kmart

Associated Press /

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -- Sales at Sears stores open more than a year plunged 11.9 percent during the last nine weeks of 2005, reflecting a cutback in holiday promotions and weak clothing results, parent Sears Holdings Corp. said Thursday.

The company's Kmart discount stores fared better, with comparable-store sales posting a narrow 1 percent gain over the same period a year earlier on higher apparel sales that offset a decline in home goods.

(SOURCE)
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/UPDATE/601050441/1003

Caldor1999

Thursday, January 05, 2006
Sales tumble at Sears stores, up slightly at Kmart

Associated Press /

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -- Sales at Sears stores open more than a year plunged 11.9 percent during the last nine weeks of 2005, reflecting a cutback in holiday promotions and weak clothing results, parent Sears Holdings Corp. said Thursday.

The company's Kmart discount stores fared better, with comparable-store sales posting a narrow 1 percent gain over the same period a year earlier on higher apparel sales that offset a decline in home goods.

(SOURCE)
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/UPDATE/601050441/1003

o wow i hope this sient the beganning of teh end butits good to see tha kmart is back up there im sure Sears will find some way to make there sales go up i can honstle say i casnt picture a mall with out a Sears
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy