Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

Shaw's corporate Maintainance was doing work in the former Queen Street Shaw's in Southington. Perhaps they were making sure the pipes don't freeze and burst this weekend.

AmesNewington1

Does anyone know if SuperValu is still evaluating and closing underperforming Shaw's? Nothing has been happening for a long while. Wouldn't they have closed Bristol if they were going to already? I had also heard Clinton CT was another location being considered for closure. My Shaw's has just recieved what appeared to be new carts but the banner on the carts says Clinton CT.

I have had it with worrying about Shaw's and other stores in CT closing. There seem to be more stores closing then ones opening.

standa

The Hamden, CT Shaw's had Southbury bannered carts  since a few years ago, but the Southbury Shaw's is still open.  Therefore carts from another store may not mean that that other store will close soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington1
Does anyone know if SuperValu is still evaluating and closing underperforming Shaw's? Nothing has been happening for a long while. Wouldn't they have closed Bristol if they were going to already? I had also heard Clinton CT was another location being considered for closure. My Shaw's has just recieved what appeared to be new carts but the banner on the carts says Clinton CT.

I have had it with worrying about Shaw's and other stores in CT closing. There seem to be more stores closing then ones opening.

standa

Was the Southbury, CT Shaw's newly built, or did Shaw's take over another store?

C. Fontaine

Here is the former Shaws down the street from me at 325 Valley St. in Providence.  It closed a few months ago, and now according to the building permit on the door a new PriceRite will be moving in!  You can also see my hot rental car for the time being!:insane:

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/other/shaws/providence/

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Here is the former Shaws down the street from me at 325 Valley St. in Providence.  It closed a few months ago, and now according to the building permit on the door a new PriceRite will be moving in!  You can also see my hot rental car for the time being!:insane:

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/other/shaws/providence/

That was fast. The 5 stores in Connecticut that have shut down since October 06 are still sitting empty with no signs of life.

standa

I think Whole Foods will be opening soon in the Glastonbury, CT Shaw's.

Marc82

Spoke to a friend of mine at The Bristol Shaw's this afternoon. She says no more Shaw's in Connecticut are slated to close, though she added that's what they said when they shut down the Southington store 18 months ago.

AmesNewington

That's good to hear. Maybe SuperValu has ended their evaluation. Seriously, 21 stores remain in CT, down from 2 years ago, just leave well enough alone. Otherwise, they will end up with none. With supermarkets, there is usually an equal opportunity for any chain. Supermarkets are essential businesses.

standa

The Osco pharmacy at the Hamden, CT Shaw's is closing.  I wonder if the whole store will close soon.

Marc82

Yep. Worked in that building for 20 months. It was a great 20 months for the most. There are rumors Paul and Lori who own Shoprite in Bristol and Waterbury is looking to open a store there. Of course that's up to Shaw's since they control the lease.

momof3

They will never rent it out if it continues to fall apart.  The former New Britain Shaws still looks good.

Anonymous

I think it would be better for the to take over the old Shaws in New Britian, because they have been gone from this town for a loooong time.  However, how about Price Chopper opening up in the old Shaw's in New Britain??

How about Big Y?? still rumoured for the old Shaws in Southington Shaws??

AmesNewington

That whole Shaw's plaza in Southington needs new owners. Obviously, the current owner is not keeping the place up.

I still can't figure why Shaw's in New Britain closed. It fit well in the area, and always seemed fairly busy.

What I'm waiting on is something to go in to the old FoodMart in Newington. The town keeps saying that a food store is going in, but nothing has happened.

momof3

Shop Rite would probably do well in Southington, it wouild mix things up a bit on Queen street and people could have a choice where to shop based on sales.  Reminds me of the good ole days when you had Ames, Caldor and Kmart all right there and you would read the fliers and hit up the best sales for what you needed, I do miss that.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
A very old Shaw's supermarket in Portsmouth NH. One of last Shaw's around here that did not went through a renovation, expansion or relocation. It still has the old logo and is called a Super Shaw's (without Osco pharmacy).

This "classic" Shaw's is now closed...

Marc82

EQUIPMENT AUCTION AT 3 FORMER SHAW'S LOCATIONS in CT!!!!!!!!!

Monday 9/22/08 1PM 1045 W. Main Street New Britain

Wednesday 9/24/08 1030AM 205 Union Street Waterbury

Thursday 9/25/08 1030AM 750 Queen Street Southington

AmesNewington

I went to the Newington Shaw's today for a soda and the store was a mess. The entire front of the store outside where the flowers were and even the fall items would be including the large lobby area was nearly empty. When I walked in the store, the shelves were disorganized, unused registers were piled with random items; the store just seemed distressed. Also, there were yellow tags on every shelf of the store and half of them were scattered on the floor.

I'm not sure what's going on with the store, whether they are remodeling the store or closing it. They did have holiday displays up, but everything just felt random. In ways the store felt emptier, but there was no sign of them closing. As far as renovating is concerned, the last re-model for this Shaw's was 2001, but the wall fixtures and general appearance of the store hasn't really changed since they opened in 1996. It's a shame, because I like Shaw's, but I didn't like the store's appearance today. Let me tell you, if that was Waldbaum's in West Hartford, the manager would have recieved many complaints.

standa

The Hamden Shaw's has been alternating periods of mess with periods of neatness over the years as departments were closed or reorganized.  It used to have a large Kosher section, pharmacy, bank and cell phone store, which are all gone.

wwefan101

shaws in webster is about to lose  ther bank its moveing acrose the parking lot from the shaws in webster ma i wonder what ther going to replace the bank with in the store

Joeg

Is the Shaws in West Hartford CT closing.  A vendor told me about a month ago, that they were told to start cutting inventory.

kendra

There's a property here in Bangor (across from the Bangor Parkade) that was purchased by Shaw's-cum-Supervalu a few years back on which to build a new store to replace the rapidly aging Hogan Rd. (Springer Drive) store, which opened in the mid-1980s. It has been paved, curbed, and landscaped to an extent, however, the building itself has yet to appear, or even, for that matter, show the slightest intent of doing so. :P

I'm not sure what's up with this...I know the two Bangor stores aren't overwhelmingly busy, so my guess would be that they are hesitating based on the idea that perhaps Hogan Rd. isn't worth replacing, or it may simply have to do with the struggling economy. Either way, there's a lovely little property there, patiently awaiting a new store...

Should they eventually replace Hogan Rd., I shall miss it...it was the first Shaw's to open in the area and for a long time it was an "old-school" store much like the now-closed Portsmouth one in a lot of ways. A lot of memories.

EDIT: Holy crap, the software just censored my LATIN PREPOSITION because it thought it was dirty. Too funny! :P

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I went to the Newington Shaw's today for a soda and the store was a mess. The entire front of the store outside where the flowers were and even the fall items would be including the large lobby area was nearly empty. When I walked in the store, the shelves were disorganized, unused registers were piled with random items; the store just seemed distressed. Also, there were yellow tags on every shelf of the store and half of them were scattered on the floor.

I'm not sure what's going on with the store, whether they are remodeling the store or closing it. They did have holiday displays up, but everything just felt random. In ways the store felt emptier, but there was no sign of them closing. As far as renovating is concerned, the last re-model for this Shaw's was 2001, but the wall fixtures and general appearance of the store hasn't really changed since they opened in 1996. It's a shame, because I like Shaw's, but I didn't like the store's appearance today. Let me tell you, if that was Waldbaum's in West Hartford, the manager would have recieved many complaints.

I don't know dude. All I can say is anything can happen. Especially in this economy.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
Was the Southbury, CT Shaw's newly built, or did Shaw's take over another store?

If I remember correctly I believe it was newly built. When I worked at the one in Southington a co-worker of mine (a notorious trouble maker) transferred to that store because he figured he couldn't get in trouble there because his aunt was the manager (or assistant manager) there. She sent him back to Southington within a month or so. His mom also worked at the Southington store. Anyway the whole family got busted for selling drugs earlier this year.  (the mother and her two sons and a believe a nephew).

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
There's a property here in Bangor (across from the Bangor Parkade) that was purchased by Shaw's-cum-Supervalu a few years back on which to build a new store to replace the rapidly aging Hogan Rd. (Springer Drive) store, which opened in the mid-1980s.

Should they eventually replace Hogan Rd., I shall miss it...it was the first Shaw's to open in the area and for a long time it was an "old-school" store much like the now-closed Portsmouth one in a lot of ways. A lot of memories.

I've read about that on the Bangor Daily News online.  What's up with that?  And i remember the Springer Dr. store, i stopped by in 2004 i think to apply for a Shaw's card there.  It's an old school Shaws like the Portsmouth one.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
There's a property here in Bangor (across from the Bangor Parkade) that was purchased by Shaw's-cum-Supervalu a few years back on which to build a new store to replace the rapidly aging Hogan Rd. (Springer Drive) store, which opened in the mid-1980s.

I've read about that on the Bangor Daily News online.  What's up with that?  And i remember the Springer Dr. store, i stopped by in 2004 i think to apply for a Shaw's card there.  It's an old school Shaws like the Portsmouth one.

Yes, although much of it has been redone signage and display-wise. The most recent photos I saw posted on here of the (now-closed) Portsmouth store had all the old signage, the diagonal department names on the walls and all that, which Springer Dr. had lost by the early years of this decade. I recall also being in the Bath location somewhere around probably 2001 or 2002 and seeing the 80s-style signage in there...that one got remodeled eventually as well, I believe. But yes, architecturally speaking, it is still very much a Shaw's of the mid-80s. A couple curious (historical) facts about said location: there is a corridor between the produce and meat backrooms that is mainly used for storage...there's a two-way door in there which, when opened, yields a very tiny closet. However, if you squeeze in there and look behind you, you can see the old diagonal Seafood department signage, which still hangs on the wall along with the original wall tile. (Seeing this would, of course, require going into the Shaw's backroom, which I would not recommend.) ;)

There is also, if memory serves, a date of either 1986 or 1985 (I *believe* it's the former but may be mistaken) scratched into the cement which became the produce receiving floor at that location. This refers, of course, to the year the "Shaw's Plaza" on Springer Drive was built, which at the time was quite fancy indeed.

Here's a nice shot of the "Shaw's Plaza" sign, which has stood at said location since it was built, and actually DID display information such as the temperature on its Super Fancy Futuristic Light-Up Sign once upon a time. As you can see, the lettering is starting to peel, which is not a surprise as it's been there for over twenty years now (and anyone who's experienced a northern New England winter knows it takes a toll). You can also see the plaza sign on the main artery (Hogan Rd.) in the background.

wwefan101

shaws got great samlples on sats

kendra

Here's a couple more shots of the Hogan Road/Springer Drive location (I'm resisting the urge to simply refer to it as "478") :D

I took these today on my way home from the university, as I needed to stop and pick up some Coke (as well as Progresso soup for a buck -- woohoo!)

The main entrance/right-hand side of the plaza:

I know it's a bit crappy, but I took it once I'd gotten back in my vehicle.

And, while stopped at the Springer Dr./Hogan Rd./Bangor Mall Blvd. intersection, I managed to get a nice shot of the road pylon down there (as seen in the background of the photo I posted earlier):

The contents of the sign are kind of interesting, whereas

A) Wal-Mart is not actually IN the Shaw's Plaza, it's farther up the road...though likely they paid to have their name on there since their store is not visible from Hogan Rd.

B) "State Liquor Store" is in reference to the fact that Shaw's (in this location, anyway) has a full liquor selection with prices and whatnot moderated by the State of Maine. It is NOT a separate store, though many, many people still go into Shaw's asking, "Can you tell me where the State Liquor Store is?"

C) The blank spot used to be Sally Beauty Supply, which was there for many years, and finally relocated to the (relatively) new Bangor Parkade over on Stillwater Ave. The funny thing is, if the replacement store for Hogan Rd. is ever built in the location that was purchased for it, it will be directly across the street from the current Sally's location. The more things change, the more they stay the same, or whatever.

D) Lastly, Dollar Queen has been gone for years. I have no idea what their name is still doing there. The former Dollar Queen is currently used as storage for Shaw's, seasonal stuff, fixtures and the like.

kendra

The location that I have been posting photos of lately, Shaw's #478, Hogan Rd./Springer Drive, is OFFICIALLY CLOSING AS OF JANUARY 31st 2009. The replacement store is NOT HAPPENING as far as anyone knows. This information is coming directly from Shaw's, although it is allegedly being announced on the local news here in Bangor tonight.

If you want to see what appears to be the "last" old-school Shaw's in existence, make the trek to #478 before the 31st.

I strongly suspect that the plaza itself will be demo'ed in the future, as it is not is very good condition and will likely not be attractive to future tenants, but that is just my guess.

This is sad, sad news, because not only is my childhood Shaw's closing, but over 100 people in the Bangor area are going to be out of a job as a result, some of whom have been with the company since the 1980s. :(

kendra

From WCSH out of Portland...

QuoteBANGOR (NEWS CENTER) -- Shaw's Supermarkets is closing its store on Spring Drive, just off Hogan Road, in Bangor on January 31. Store officials say about 120 people work there.

The store made the announcement to employees Tuesday morning. Store spokesperson Judy Chong said the lease on the location is up at the end of January and the store decided not to renew the lease. She said the reason for not renewing is confidential.

Chong said human resources is working to transfer associates to stores on Main Street in Bangor and in Ellsworth. She said qualified employees are eligible for severance packages.

Chong also said plans for a store on Stillwater Avenue in Bangor are on hold and no final decision has been made on that property.