Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

More evidence that Price Chopper isn't taking competition from ShopRite and others in its home market lying down...hopefully they plan more of the same in other states where they do business...the competition isn't any easier there!
http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/A-new-Price-Chopper-from-soup-to-nuts-3921997.php

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on October 09, 2012, 08:50:45 PM
More evidence that Price Chopper isn't taking competition from ShopRite and others in its home market lying down...hopefully they plan more of the same in other states where they do business...the competition isn't any easier there!
http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/A-new-Price-Chopper-from-soup-to-nuts-3921997.php

Interesting to note that the two stores they mention replacing (Watervliet, which is a quite old Price Chopper, and Chatham, which was a Grand Union aquired during bankruptcy - not an old store (1990's) but not real large either) have both been in planning for a while now, but both are facing opposition in their areas (Watervliet due to the replacement site being home to a former landmark church that many want to see not be torn down, Chatham since the new store is partially in the town (rather than village as the current one is), along with worries about the old store being vacant, some wetlands in the area etc.).

Joeg

Is PC opening a store in the Springfield, MA area?  I saw a location flag, and when I clicked on it, nothing came up.  Can anyone help??

Joeg

Also, is PC opening a new store in CT??  Saw a pinpoint on there location map above West Hartford.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on December 10, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
Also, is PC opening a new store in CT??  Saw a pinpoint on there location map above West Hartford.

I hope not. There's way too many supermarkets in West Hartford as it is.

Stop & Shop x 2
PriceRite
Aldi
Shoprite
Big Y
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods x 2
Walmart Neighborhood Market (Opening in 2013)
Crown Market

That's 11

ynkeesfn82

PC in Southington appears to be on life support. Stay tuned.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on December 11, 2012, 09:42:55 PM
PC in Southington appears to be on life support. Stay tuned.

What does that mean?

Joeg

Stay tuned!  Can you say Big Y is coming to town?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 12, 2012, 08:42:24 AM
What does that mean?

Sales have plummeted. I went in there last Thursday there was probably 10 customers in there. Shoprite down the street was very busy. A lady I know who works at PC says she was sent home early on Thursday.

TRU7536

Quote from: Joeg on December 12, 2012, 02:34:00 PM
Stay tuned!  Can you say Big Y is coming to town?

There's a big Y rift up the street in Plainville.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on December 12, 2012, 04:56:19 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on December 12, 2012, 08:42:24 AM
What does that mean?

Sales have plummeted. I went in there last Thursday there was probably 10 customers in there. Shoprite down the street was very busy. A lady I know who works at PC says she was sent home early on Thursday.

It's shameful when two grocery stores in the same area can't compete with each other fair and square. Competition is essential. Look for ShopRite to raise prices if PC closes.

I actually don't see Price Chopper in CT 10 years from now. I think they were strong in the beginning, but they have many issues need to be fixed if they can survive. The PC in Newington never has enough cashiers, and there are long lines constantly. I heard corporate headquarters makes the associate schedules.

BillyGr

Looking at the map and searching just using CT (no city given) it came up with 8 locations:
Bristol
Newwington
Southington
Torrington
Windsor
Vernon
Middletown
Putnam

None of which are above West Hartford (Windsor is above Hartford along I-91, though).

However, it shows a non-numbered more orange indicator with a black dot which looks to be close to West Hartford area - I'm thinking that is just the point it uses to calculate the miles to each store (in other words, the Bristol store is 8.6 Miles from that marked point).  It seems that point is what is set in the system when you just enter a state rather than a specific address?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 12, 2012, 07:23:45 PM
It's shameful when two grocery stores in the same area can't compete with each other fair and square. Competition is essential. Look for ShopRite to raise prices if PC closes.
Sales at PC dropped a little bit when Shoprite when they opened in November 2010, but BJ's also opened at the same time. PC recovered and at the same time business remained good at Shoprite. Most recently business began falling at PC in March 2012 after they finished their remodeled and introduced the whole stupid Extreme Value thing.

SR will not raise their prices. Although they'll have different coupons most of the sales are the same at all the Shoprites in Connecticut.

retailisking

Bdubs

The PC in Middletown, CT is one of my customers, and their business seems to be growing year after year.  It may not be by leaps and bounds, but there is noticeable growth there.  I can't speak for any of the other stores in the state, but the Middletown one is a little unique as well, seeing there really isn't another supermarket within 5+ miles from that area.

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on December 02, 2012, 04:44:09 AM
Is PC opening a store in the Springfield, MA area?  I saw a location flag, and when I clicked on it, nothing came up.  Can anyone help??

I always wondered why PC doesn't operate in the Springfield area. Maybe they think Big Y and Stop & Shop have the market sewn up. Otherwise it's a gaping hole between the Berkshires and the Worcester area. A Big Y in South Hadley is closing, and this could be an opportunity for PC to gain a toehold in the area.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on January 13, 2013, 02:21:42 PM
I always wondered why PC doesn't operate in the Springfield area. Maybe they think Big Y and Stop & Shop have the market sewn up. Otherwise it's a gaping hole between the Berkshires and the Worcester area. A Big Y in South Hadley is closing, and this could be an opportunity for PC to gain a toehold in the area.

Good question, given that they seem to do OK with Stop & Shop and Big Y in the Berkshires.  Two possibilities seem to be:

1. There used to be at least one more choice in the Springfield area (They had A&P until a few years ago when all stores north of CT were closed, while any A&P presence further west in the Berkshires was gone much sooner) - thus PC would have been a 4th option, rather than a 3rd option as they are in the Berkshires. (Option meaning another choice, not that they are the 3rd or 4th place choice).

2. The PC's in the Worcester area were acquired as an existing small chain (even though I'm sure some have been replaced or expanded since).  At that point, they may not have been interested in building to fill in, and maybe at the time of the A&P departure PC wasn't in the market for an acquisition - busy with stores elsewhere? (They would have been a logical candidate to take over those stores to "fill in the blank", though).

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on January 13, 2013, 09:37:27 PM

Good question, given that they seem to do OK with Stop & Shop and Big Y in the Berkshires.  Two possibilities seem to be:

1. There used to be at least one more choice in the Springfield area (They had A&P until a few years ago when all stores north of CT were closed, while any A&P presence further west in the Berkshires was gone much sooner) - thus PC would have been a 4th option, rather than a 3rd option as they are in the Berkshires. (Option meaning another choice, not that they are the 3rd or 4th place choice).

2. The PC's in the Worcester area were acquired as an existing small chain (even though I'm sure some have been replaced or expanded since).  At that point, they may not have been interested in building to fill in, and maybe at the time of the A&P departure PC wasn't in the market for an acquisition - busy with stores elsewhere? (They would have been a logical candidate to take over those stores to "fill in the blank", though).

The possible most realistic reason is a third one: There is a rumored non-compete between Price Chopper and Big Y which keeps Price Chopper outside of the Springfield area and may also keep Big Y out of expanding into eastern New York and southern Vermont. This still doesn't explain why or how Shaw's, Hannaford, or ShopRite hasn't looked at Springfield though.

Price Chopper's been expanding in the Worcester market, they rebuilt Shrewsbury a few years back as a firing shot to the then-planned Wegmans one town away and they opened in Gardner and Hopkinton (their first shot into MetroWest) last year too. If something happens with Shaw's, I see them being one of the big beneficiaries.

retailisking

PC actually had a store in Metrowest before, in Framingham, as part of the Big D buyout. They didn't last long there as I recall.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on December 11, 2012, 09:41:50 PM

I hope not. There's way too many supermarkets in West Hartford as it is.

Stop & Shop x 2
PriceRite
Aldi
Shoprite
Big Y
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods x 2
Walmart Neighborhood Market (Opening in 2013)
Crown Market

That's 11

Where will the Walmart neighborhood Market going to be?? BTW, is the Big Y in East Hartford - in School Street Square _ still closed??

retailisking

The Neighborhood Market will be at the site of the former Adams Superamarket at 333 N. Main Street in Bishops Corner.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on January 19, 2013, 01:26:51 PM
The Neighborhood Market will be at the site of the former Adams Superamarket at 333 N. Main Street in Bishops Corner.

Oh... ok... In the old Finast??

Joeg

ynkeesfn82

Okay so I came across an article from 2003 on the Hartford Courant's website and Price Chopper's real estate guy says they would've preferred a 73,000 Square Foot Location, but took the 95,000 Square Foot former KMART location in Southington because it was available. If they only wanted a 73,000 Square Foot store then why didn't they divide the space? The former 81,000+ square foot AMES was divided into two spaces - a 23,000 Square Foot Bed Bath Beyond and a 58,000 Square foot Bob's Discount Furniture.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on December 02, 2012, 04:44:09 AM

A big Y in South Hadley is closing?? When and why??

Joeg

Big Y has another store in South Hadley, MA

ynkeesfn82

Rumor Unconfirmed: Price Chopper in Southington closing in 2014. To be replaced by Stew Leonard's.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 05:25:42 PM
Rumor Unconfirmed: Price Chopper in Southington closing in 2014. To be replaced by Stew Leonard's.

Enough with these rumors, Marc. PC should have closed by now if the rumors prior were supposed to happen. Also, would Stew Leonards really be looking at Southington for a new store?

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 23, 2013, 06:16:24 PM
Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 05:25:42 PM

Enough with these rumors, Marc. PC should have closed by now if the rumors prior were supposed to happen. Also, would Stew Leonards really be looking at Southington for a new store?

If Price Chopper were to close, it wouldnt wait till 2014. Also, Stew Leonards wouldnt move to Southington. A. building is to small and B. Southingtons market is way to small to handle a store like that. Stew's goes after A type markets, Norwalk, Yonkers, Danbury, Newington. They are still trying to get into Orange and Manchester would be on there rador way before Southington, as its a C/D Market.

ynkeesfn82

I'm just saying what I'm hearing from people at Shoprite. I don't know how long PC's lease is in Southington, but they opened in 2004, so if they signed a 10 year lease their lease could be up in 2014. That's why they would close in 2014. Stew's in Newington is approximately 110,000 Square Feet. The PC in Southington is 95,000 square feet so it's only 15,000 Square feet smaller. And most stores vary in size.  And Stew's is done trying to get into Orange. An article in the New Haven Register last year some sort of medical complex is going to be built on the property where Stew's was trying to get into.