Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

You should take a look at their Facebook page.  WOW!! almost a 1000 response to there change in the Fuel Adavantage promotion.  I think they really have to lower prices on staple things , not just there ClearValue line in order to keep business.

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on April 28, 2012, 10:51:25 AM
You should take a look at their Facebook page.  WOW!! almost a 1000 response to there change in the Fuel Adavantage promotion.

Heaven hath no fury like an army of coupon moms scorned!

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on April 28, 2012, 10:51:25 AM
You should take a look at their Facebook page.  WOW!! almost a 1000 response to there change in the Fuel Adavantage promotion.  I think they really have to lower prices on staple things , not just there ClearValue line in order to keep business.

If you calculate the discount, that $0.10 per $50 gives you a maximum of $2 off your gas if you buy the full 20 gallons.  If they lower items just $0.05-$0.10 each (depending on the price of the item) you'll wind up paying less overall (even with the higher gas price).
So the point that people will stop going there because of this makes you wonder how many even think about what it's worth to start with.
So, still go there and shop, but don't even count the discount - just get the best price for the groceries at whatever store has it for the item(s) you want, then consider the gas a bonus for those items you get at Price Chopper.

Joeg

I would rather have lower prices then have all the gimmicks that are out there.

retailisking

Joeg

Price Chopper seems to have gone all out on there new ad here in CT.

buzz86us

didn't they operate some convenience stores under the mini chopper name?

I don't get how Shop Rite is really that competitive to me it is only a third choice, their prices on some items are better last time I went there I just wound up buying pop corn and elios. I have noticed a lot of cases where Shop Rite is more expensive. ATM I just go with whichever store is cheaper.

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on May 13, 2012, 11:20:05 AM

They did operate stores under that name for a number of years - the one I know of was in Chatham (an old A&P in the main street, so quite small).  That one closed June 30, 1998.

At least that store, even though small, still had all the regular categories, just less of it - some produce, some meat, some dairy, some packaged items etc. - and no special departments (like a bakery, seafood etc., just packaged items in those categories) - so more than a typical convenience store would have.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on May 13, 2012, 08:16:23 PM

They did operate stores under that name for a number of years - the one I know of was in Chatham (an old A&P in the main street, so quite small).  That one closed June 30, 1998.

At least that store, even though small, still had all the regular categories, just less of it - some produce, some meat, some dairy, some packaged items etc. - and no special departments (like a bakery, seafood etc., just packaged items in those categories) - so more than a typical convenience store would have.

I seem to remember the one in Lake George Village was still a Mini Chopper as of 2000.

retailisking

Quote from: Scrabbleship on May 13, 2012, 08:24:23 PM

I seem to remember the one in Lake George Village was still a Mini Chopper as of 2000.

The remaining Mini Choppers were leased out to a Getty distributor in 2002.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on May 13, 2012, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on May 13, 2012, 08:24:23 PM

The remaining Mini Choppers were leased out to a Getty distributor in 2002.

A Google Maps search shows that the one in Lake George was eventually converted to, and still is open as, a standard Price Chopper.

silvfx66

yes the store in Lake George is a standard PC but very small, perhaps 3 aisles, with a small deli and meat dept.  Mostly used for beer, ice, soda etc. If I remember correctly it was a grand union back in the 70's.  Not a bad concept in a vacation town close to the downtown and the many motels that cater to families.

retailisking

This marks a return to the MetroWest region (though by a somewhat looser definition Marlborough is also part of MetroWest.) PC became a player in Central MA with its mid-90s acquisition of the 12-store Worcester-based Big D chain; PC ended up closing the former Big D in Framingham.

http://hopkinton.patch.com/articles/gallery-hundreds-check-out-price-chopper-in-hopkinton#photo-10386378
http://hopkinton.patch.com/articles/video-residents-like-hopkinton-price-chopper#video-10394074

Price Chopper has also launched a nice new website. Now, about those flyers...

Joeg

I really wish they would open more stores in CT.  I am hoping East Hartford/Glastonbury area.  I am also wondering how "Xtreme Values" promotion is going, and did they finally expand it to there Middletown, CT store??

ynkeesfn82

According to one of my sources at PC sales did not go up or down as a result of the Xtreme Value revamp. (At least in Southington).

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on June 28, 2012, 06:18:45 AM
According to one of my sources at PC sales did not go up or down as a result of the Xtreme Value revamp. (At least in Southington).

Is the Southington ShopRite always busier than Price Chopper, or are they about the same? What about compared to Stop and Shop?

Joeg

Does any one know if Price Chopper is going to expand in CT??

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on July 22, 2012, 09:44:45 AM

The Grand Union in Storrs is up for grabs...

Joeg

To small for them.  Maybe they will build a store  in that area to complimant their Putnam CT store.

retailisking

Price Chopper operates lots of tiny markets, including the former P&C in Lincoln, NH. They don't get much smaller than that!

Joeg

I think PC wants "big" stores in CT.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on July 22, 2012, 10:58:06 PM
Quote from: Joeg on July 22, 2012, 09:44:45 AM

The Grand Union in Storrs is up for grabs...

Is that store the old A&P on 44 near UConn?

Joeg

AmesNewington

I find it so irritating that Grand Union and Tops won't say what will be happening to the remaining GUs not purchased by Tops. At least say if they will be closed.

Joeg

It would be nice to see Price Chopper get the Storrs, CT store.  They could knock down the whole plaza and build a new store, and Big Y in Tolland a run for there money.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on August 19, 2012, 07:22:49 AM
It would be nice to see Price Chopper get the Storrs, CT store.  They could knock down the whole plaza and build a new store, and Big Y in Tolland a run for there money.

Price Chopper will be building a new Store across the street from UConn. It is part of a new downtown area for Mansfield, CT. (storrs is a part of Mansfield). Maybe Shiop-rite will take the GU space.

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 23, 2012, 03:07:10 PM
Quote from: Joeg on August 19, 2012, 07:22:49 AM

Price Chopper will be building a new Store across the street from UConn. It is part of a new downtown area for Mansfield, CT. (storrs is a part of Mansfield). Maybe Shiop-rite will take the GU space.

But has there been an announcement that the Storrs GU will close. No one has said anything.

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 23, 2012, 03:36:12 PM
But has there been an announcement that the Storrs GU will close. No one has said anything.

Probably not, but ever since C&S bought them in the bankruptcy, they have been fairly quick to close a store when a competitor appears in the area rather than trying to compete.  That (along with the fact that this one didn't go to Tops and so is still owned/controlled by C&S) makes it seem likely that that would be the fate of the store.

Joeg

How big will the new store be?? will it be in a new plaza??

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on August 24, 2012, 02:28:00 AM
How big will the new store be?? will it be in a new plaza??

It'll be 32,000 square feet and it will be in a walkabout neighborhood according to Patch:
http://mansfield.patch.com/articles/price-chopper-coming-to-storrs-center