Brammy out of work again

Started by Brammy, January 20, 2020, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brammy

I was let go from the BJ's Wholesale Club on Thursday January 16th, 4 days before my 14 month anniversary with the company. A couple of people think it's my own fault, but I don't believe it was and most of my former coworkers don't believe it was my fault.

This was Tuesday the 14th.

Coworker (over 2 way radio): Marc, can you help a member in a wheel chair with his shopping?
Me (I happened to be about 10 feet away from her so I didn't use the radio): I'm really busy and behind on the carts. Can you ask someone else?
Coworker (over 2 way radio): Marc is refusing to help the guy in the wheel chair!

Asking her to ask someone else IS NOT refusing to help someone. It's delegating. I talked to an Assistant Manager about what happened and he said it was okay. Thursday morning the Assistant Manager that is my direct manager called me into the office and fired me. She said because my previous write-up was a "Final Warning" write-up.

So what does this mean for me? Well the good news is that BJ's paid me for my unused vacation time. I still have around $650 in my two accounts - my regular checking account and the paycard that BJ's gave me, for my final week of work and unused vacation time. I'm also expecting to get a huge tax refund as well.

The bad news? Not getting a vehicle and trips I had planned for 2020 and 2021 are canceled.

The Real Brammy

retailisking

Sorry to hear about that, Marc. Not judging, but I wonder if the outcome would have been different for you if the customer wasn't disabled. I know from experience that retailers are deathly afraid of even the faintest threat of an ADA lawsuit. Good luck with the job search. Hopefully something will turn up soon.

riickyyyspaaaaniiiish

Vibes man, something else will come up.  Keep your head up!
misses spags

TheFugitive

Quote from: retailisking on January 20, 2020, 02:32:29 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Marc. Not judging, but I wonder if the outcome would have been different for you if the customer wasn't disabled. I know from experience that retailers are deathly afraid of even the faintest threat of an ADA lawsuit. Good luck with the job search. Hopefully something will turn up soon.

When I was with Ames in Imlay City we had a disabled customer who was actually a very nasty man.
I don't know if he was bitter about his disability or what it was, but he drove around town in his
wheelchair adapted van looking for businesses which were not in full compliance with ADA-type
laws.  He'd come into those stores and raise a big loud stink about how he was going to turn them
in and have them fined.

I remember once one of our handicapped parking signs blew down in a strong windstorm.
It was not even down 24 hours before he was at the service desk yelling and threatening us.