A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Heres an old "Super Fresh" version of the discount card from the early 90's. I assume it still works, although it hasn't been used in at least 12 years (family started shopping at Pathmark exclusively when I used to live in Philly). A few years ago the card program was renamed to "Club Fresh".
I remember the old Super Fresh Bonus Card.  I since switched cards.  I now use the A&P Bonus Savings Card. :yup:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

FearlessSwan

Thruway Shopping Center Greenwich, CT. Rebranded as a Food Emporium.

The Wine and Liquor Store

FearlessSwan

Valley Cottage, NY

FearlessSwan

This CVS in Stamford, CT was once an A&P. It sat vacant for a number of years before the CVS took over.

FearlessSwan

Dade County, FL 1964

Delran, NJ former location

MikeRa

In Philadelphia, these were the former A&P locations:

[list=A]

12301 Acamdey Road (Colonial Building)
1500 Packer Ave (Colonial Building)
1530 E. Wingohocking
4450 N. Front St.
7350 Oxford Ave
8844 Frankford Ave
Red Lion and Acamdey
5th And Pine Street (Colonial Building) (Current Super Fresh Food Market)
7162 Ridge Ave (Colonial Building) (Demolished and replaced by Superfresh)
B and Olney Ave
Frankford and Morrell Ave
Richmond and Bristol
9900 Bustelton Ave
20th St and Erie Ave
Island Ave and Lindbergh Blvd
1501 N. Broad St
2120 S 23rd St
[/list=A]

Joeg

I just happen to come across this thread and I think there may have been a couple of mistakes in the first post.

Food Mart did not open in April 1960 in Newington.  Grand Union opened in that location in 1960 and stayed there until about 1972 or 1973.  Grand Union closed and the Food Mart opened in that location.  I worked for Food Mart, and my supervisor was from Newington and she said she started in 1973 when Food Mart took over the old Grand Union location.

The same goes for the Bishop's Corner store.  This was a very very old Grand Union whiched opened in the 50's (1956??) and was one of the first supermarkets in CT to have a full service deli.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
I just happen to come across this thread and I think there may have been a couple of mistakes in the first post.

Food Mart did not open in April 1960 in Newington.  Grand Union opened in that location in 1960 and stayed there until about 1972 or 1973.  Grand Union closed and the Food Mart opened in that location.  I worked for Food Mart, and my supervisor was from Newington and she said she started in 1973 when Food Mart took over the old Grand Union location.

The same goes for the Bishop's Corner store.  This was a very very old Grand Union whiched opened in the 50's (1956??) and was one of the first supermarkets in CT to have a full service deli.

I read in a local publication that A&P (then not affiliated with Food Mart) opened in April 1960. I guess the author of that article got it wrong. Thanks for correcting me. I wouldn't have known because I wasn't born until the 80s. I was confused on what was there until the 70s. I work at the Bishop's Corner store now and it was interesting to know about that one too. Newington is still sitting empty.

Joeg

It could have been an orginal A&P, but looking at old Hartford Courants of that era, Newington was listed as a Grand Union in Market Square.  There also was the Triple S stamp redemption center in the same plaza.  How do you like working for Waldbaums??  I think the Head Cashier name is Judy.  I worked with her may moons ago!!

AmesNewington

Joeg:

I like working for Waldbaum's. The Bishop's Corner store is extremely busy in comparison to what Newington was like in its final years. It's a very unique store though. It was completely remodeled last year and is a "Fresh" concept store.  

Yes, Judy is still with the company and is my boss, as she is now the Front End Manager where I work. She is a very nice lady and helped me a great deal getting acquainted with the store. So, she used to be at the Newington store? Is that where you worked?

I really miss the Newington store. It was small, but I loved going there because it felt "local". When I have a day off, I go for lunch at the Berlin store, the location I wanted to get in. That's also a nice Food Mart.

The store manager at Bishop's Corner is Dave Galotti. He has worked for Food Mart for many years. Does that name ring a bell. Did he ever work in Newington.

Zayre88

What looks like a former A&P in Wells, Maine.

Zayre88

What looks like a former A&P in Hampton, NH.  Brooks Plaza now with a Rite Aid.

Joeg

Acutally worked for them when I was a teenager in the 70's and early 80's.  Dave Gallotti was one of my managers back in the original Middletown CT store on Main Street.  I meet Judy when I transfered to the new Middletown CT store on Washington Street.  She used to work occasionally(sic) at my store and that is how I met her.  Like  I said before many moons ago! LOL!!

MikeRa

Here is a picture of some A&P Products, under the America's Choice and Pathmark names.:yup:

Zayre88

The A&P supermarkets in Canada were acquired by the Metro grocery store chain in 2005.  The historic A&P name, will disappear from the Ontario landscape when owner Metro Inc. renames 158 supermarkets as part of a $200 million upgrade of the chain.

The Quebec-based company said the stores will be renamed Metro, the same name it uses on 200 supermarkets in Quebec. Consumer research showed that people liked the urban-sounding name, the company said.

AmesNewington

To answer the previous questions about the store card, as long as the bar code works/can be read, the A&P family of stores will accept them. At West Hartford, I see really old Waldbaum's Foodmart Valued Shopper Cards from 1993. I also get the regular Waldbaum's card, the Super Foodmart Super Savings Card from the late 90s, and I get the A&P Super Foodmart Super Savings Card, which is the same thing. I may have even gotten a Super Fresh card from the early 90s. They all work! They even accept the A&P Bonus Savings Card. It's all the same company, so why not accept each others cards?

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
To answer the previous questions about the store card, as long as the bar code works/can be read, the A&P family of stores will accept them. At West Hartford, I see really old Waldbaum's Foodmart Valued Shopper Cards from 1993. I also get the regular Waldbaum's card, the Super Foodmart Super Savings Card from the late 90s, and I get the A&P Super Foodmart Super Savings Card, which is the same thing. I may have even gotten a Super Fresh card from the early 90s. They all work! They even accept the A&P Bonus Savings Card. It's all the same company, so why not accept each others cards?

There's no reason they wouldn't work unless they eventually take old/unused cards of their system. I wouldn't be surprised if you could acquire a Farmer Jack or Sav-A-Center card (now defunt..was the Michigan/Louisiana division of A&P), it would probably still work.
I wonder if Pathmark's cards can be used at A&P as well since they are the same company, but they may not have the computer systems integrated yet.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

There's no reason they wouldn't work unless they eventually take old/unused cards of their system. I wouldn't be surprised if you could acquire a Farmer Jack or Sav-A-Center card (now defunt..was the Michigan/Louisiana division of A&P), it would probably still work.
I wonder if Pathmark's cards can be used at A&P as well since they are the same company, but they may not have the computer systems integrated yet.
You still can't use any of the A&P cards at Pathmark or at Pathmark Sav-A-Center.  I tried using my A&P Bonus Card at the Pathmark Sav-A-Center on 2101-41 Cottman Ave (this location originally opened as Super Fresh Super Store) and it froze the system. :flaming:

I know my A&P Bonus card works at A&P Fresh, as well as at Superfresh and The Food Emporium.

I do have a Pathmark Advantage Card (keyring version only) and just wanted to see if the other A&P cards would work as well. :duh:

AmesNewington

A&P recently gave the Branford CT store a major renovation to the 'Fresh' format. This was an A&P Super Foodmart (the New England division) and still technically is. If you go to the link below, you can see a virtual tour of the new store. It's an impressive store, and by the looks of it, has an abundant selection. The only thing it doesn't have is a pharmacy. It has a Starbucks, which other area A&P's do not have. I would LOVE it if A&P did this 'Fresh' concept on both the Berlin and Middletown A&P's.

Link to virtual tour:

http://www.superfoodmartne.com/pages_aboutUs_NE.asp

(You may have to click on 'Branford Grand-Re-Opening' on the left).

A photo of the store as "A&P Super Foodmart":

AmesNewington

...and here's a photo of the front of the store now. Notice that the green stripe on the "Foodmart" photo has been painted over in gold like the rest of the building in the new photo:

(Both photos courtesy of the A&P/Super Foodmart website)

momof3

Ames Newington, Hi are you still at the WH Foodmart??????I haven't been to the Berlin one in a bit, just been shopping closer to home since I've been busy, have you been????

AmesNewington

Hi momof3! I just sent you a U2U (personal message). It'll explain everything there!

MikeRa

A&P recently gave the Branford CT store a major renovation to the 'Fresh' format. This was an A&P Super Foodmart (the New England division) and still technically is. If you go to the link below, you can see a virtual tour of the new store. It's an impressive store, and by the looks of it, has an abundant selection. The only thing it doesn't have is a pharmacy. It has a Starbucks, which other area A&P's do not have. I would LOVE it if A&P did this 'Fresh' concept on both the Berlin and Middletown A&P's.

Link to virtual tour:

http://www.superfoodmartne.com/pages_aboutUs_NE.asp

(You may have to click on 'Branford Grand-Re-Opening' on the left).
also, the former Greenwich, CT "The Food Emporium" is now "A&P Fresh Greenwich".  The link to them is at: A&P Fresh Greenwich

Joeg

I think you will see the Middletown A&P get remodeled with the Fresh concept within the next year.

Stop and Shop is remodeling there Middletown Ct store and a brand new Shop Rite is going right across the street.

Should be interesting.......

AmesNewington

They can look in to remodeling the Berlin A&P as well in the next year. They missed the chance with Newington, but if they freshen up the remaining locations they have in CT, they can increase their business and even open new stores.

Joeg, have you been to the Middletown A&P. Is it as bad as people say it is?

Joeg

Well....what do you consider bad?? I have not lived in Middletown for about 10 years, so I have not been there for a long time.  However, when I did live there, I shopped there instead of going cross town to Stop and Shop.   Stop and Shop was very expensive and is in a bad neighborhood(sic)

I think one of two things will happen:

Major remodel to the Fresh format

A&P will close this store, and probably other stores to, but with the re-model of Branford, this would be highly unlikely.

What do you think?? Are you still working at West Hartford Waldbaums??

AmesNewington

I just heard on a topix.com forum that the Middletown A&P was not a clean store and very run-down looking. I have no opinion on the store because I was never in that store, but someone called the place a 'cesspool' and said it smelled like smoke.

Personally, I can't see why A&P would close the Middletown store, only because I work at the West Hartford store (yes I'm still there:yup:) and by the way they cleaned up their act with this store and how A&P seems to be prospering again, it makes me wonder why they would give up on their existing locations. The Northeast is the only thing they have left. The only reason they may not be getting the desired business they would like maybe has to do with the appearance of the store. What I have said all along is that with these new 'Fresh' concept remodels, it draws curiosity, and then they will get more business. This is something A&P doesn't get. It's safe to say Stop and Shop DOES get it. It's all about competition. Now that ShopRite is coming to town, Stop and Shop is ready for the competition, and I would hope A&P follows. It would be a shame if they just closed it.

I have no idea how much business the Branford or Greenwich store does, but if they can get new life, so can the A&P stores like Middletown, Berlin, etc, etc.

momof3

AmesNewington, Thank you for the U2U.  I typed back 3 long messages and all 3 times when I hit ti send it said error and said my folder was empty.  I will try to get a response back later or tomorrow am (I think something was sent but it looked like a copy of yours)

MikeRa

I would like to see A&P rebrand the Super Fresh stores in Southern New Jersey to A&P Fresh, since they already have A&P Fresh, as well as A&P Food Market and Super A&P Food Market locations in Northern and Central NJ

Mobil

This Kroger in the Atlanta area appears to be a former SuperFresh or Waldbaum's. I read Kroger bought many stores from A&P in the South. They bought the Albertsons in my area.