Montgomery Ward/Lechemere/Electric Avenue/Electric Avenue

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
There was also a store in Utica that hung on until the end. It was in Riverside Mall.

There were actually 2 Montgomery Ward stores in Riverside Mall, and yes at one point in time, they were both standing at the same time.

The Story:
I want to say it was in the early part of 1994. I was in 9th grade, because I remember discussing it in Science Class. To make the story shorter, the roof on the Original Mont. Wards in the furniture section collapsed during a Snowstorm. It was a Sunday, and around 5ish PM, (No one got hurt Thankfully). At that point, they had no idea what to do, because then they questioned the Integrity of the entire Roof of Riverside Mall. Engineers determined that the Montgomery Wards section was not directly connected to the Mall's roof section, so it was deemed just a problem at Wards. They decided to keep the Montgomery Wards building, sealed off the collapsed section and moved the Furniture section of the store to a Vacant space in the Mall near Montgomery Wards.

A couple of years later, they decided to build the new Montgomery Wards store, which was built partially against the older store. When it opened, coming from the Mall Entrance, you walked through the old Wards Store to get to the Entrance of the new Wards Store. Rumors at the time were that Riverside planned to expand into the old store and add tenants there. Never happened. What did happen was when Riverside Mall was converted to a strip Mall, the old Ward's building along with half of the Mall itself was torn down.

The new Wards building thrived until Montgomery Wards went out of business with the Stores. The building sat idle for many years, until Linens and Things moved in and took up part of the building. Actually, Part of the building was torn down (What a waste) when Linens and Things went in. There is still a section there, which I'm sure still has some Wards Nostalgia in it.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
There was also a store in Utica that hung on until the end. It was in Riverside Mall.

There were actually 2 Montgomery Ward stores in Riverside Mall, and yes at one point in time, they were both standing at the same time.

The Story:
I want to say it was in the early part of 1994. I was in 9th grade, because I remember discussing it in Science Class. To make the story shorter, the roof on the Original Mont. Wards in the furniture section collapsed during a Snowstorm. It was a Sunday, and around 5ish PM, (No one got hurt Thankfully). At that point, they had no idea what to do, because then they questioned the Integrity of the entire Roof of Riverside Mall. Engineers determined that the Montgomery Wards section was not directly connected to the Mall's roof section, so it was deemed just a problem at Wards. They decided to keep the Montgomery Wards building, sealed off the collapsed section and moved the Furniture section of the store to a Vacant space in the Mall near Montgomery Wards.

A couple of years later, they decided to build the new Montgomery Wards store, which was built partially against the older store. When it opened, coming from the Mall Entrance, you walked through the old Wards Store to get to the Entrance of the new Wards Store. Rumors at the time were that Riverside planned to expand into the old store and add tenants there. Never happened. What did happen was when Riverside Mall was converted to a strip Mall, the old Ward's building along with half of the Mall itself was torn down.

The new Wards building thrived until Montgomery Wards went out of business with the Stores. The building sat idle for many years, until Linens and Things moved in and took up part of the building. Actually, Part of the building was torn down (What a waste) when Linens and Things went in. There is still a section there, which I'm sure still has some Wards Nostalgia in it.

u shoukld try and get pictures
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

I'll be passing through Utica later in April. I may be able to get some pics. Not sure though.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt

The Story:

u shoukld try and get pictures

I do have photos of the new Montgomery Wards building just before they started the Linens and Things Project. They had the building Chainlinked off. It's just a matter of getting those photos scanned in. I ought to go over and get some shots. of the empty space. Hey Amesman, if you get up here in April, I'll see if I can get the hookup on finding any remains of the original Riverside Mall.

amesman

I believe there is an interior hallway behind that small row of stores at the north end of the plaza.

powersbt

I believe there is an interior hallway behind that small row of stores at the north end of the plaza.

My thoughts too. It'd be interesting to see what kind of goodies are sitting there.

amesman

I think they got all traces of originality out of there, but you never know..

Caldor1999

hears a fomer MW takeing in the summer of 2001 shortley before they closed
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Here's a former Lechmere in Newington, Connecticut on the Berlin Turnpike. Used to love this store. It became Jo-Ann Fabrics after being vacant for around 3 or 4 years (I presume). The enormous building became divided between Jo-Ann Fabrics and Big Lots. This was the former pick-up area.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Lechmere shopping cart found outside of Big Lots, disguised within their (also) orange-clad carts.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's an "Employee of the Month" sign left behind from Lechmere's hey-day.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears anouth rone still vacant with the same style above
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and anoutejr one that looks to have been clsoed for a long time
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Former Utica, New York store. Half of the old store was demolished, and is now home to a Linens and Things.

amesman

amesman

Here's a back enterance. It never used to be on the end like this. The store would have continued on past here to the left. Note the old Wards stickers on the doors.

amesman

powersbt

This is where the Mall Entrance to the store would have been. Remember, I had mentioned before how at one point, you had to walk through the old Montgomery Wards store to get to the new one from inside the mall. For the longest time, now I'm doubting myself, but I believe this one for the longest time had an Electric Ave. sign above the doors.

Here's a back enterance. It never used to be on the end like this. The store would have continued on past here to the left. Note the old Wards stickers on the doors.

amesman

thanks for the information powersbt. You have been a big help for info for that area!

powersbt

Hey, you give me the hookup on info. from your area, I give you the hookup on things in mine. Everybody wins!!

thanks for the information powersbt. You have been a big help for info for that area!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a MW still vacant in AL i found tehse picture son flicker which is a place were u can post phots up on
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

this is ina vacant mall so im gusisng this was the mall entrance inside
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!