A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faz152

Plus the fact that the Centereach Waldbaums has been dead since it opened, and as well as Levittown... especially after Stop & Shop built a new store there.

acme style

Here are a couple more...

A&P:
Lodi, NJ. A former Acme now getting pummeled by a brand new ShopRite down the street.
East Brunswick, NJ
Woodbridge, NJ
Yorktown Heights, NY

"?" on DerangedHermit's lists are all Pathmarks and are all closing.
Check it out... Acme Style!

AmesNewington

I heard that Berlin is the ONLY CT store closing. I was thinking one more at least (like their second Danbury store) but it's good that more employees won't have to scramble for a transfer or another job. Berlin was sort of understaffed anyway. They can easily split the employees willing to transfer to either West Hartford or Middletown. The rest at Berlin could easily retire. Some have been there for over 30 years. Hopefully, since Middletown is staying open, customers will find that store.

acme style

This is interesting... the Yorktown Heights store is an A&P Fresh with a Food Emporium literally within walking distance. Looks like the Food Emporium is smaller but must be doing better business.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 18, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
I heard that Berlin is the ONLY CT store closing. I was thinking one more at least (like their second Danbury store) but it's good that more employees won't have to scramble for a transfer or another job. Berlin was sort of understaffed anyway. They can easily split the employees willing to transfer to either West Hartford or Middletown. The rest at Berlin could easily retire. Some have been there for over 30 years. Hopefully, since Middletown is staying open, customers will find that store.

Yes Chris. In today's New Britain Herald they ran a correction that Middletown is in fact staying open.

acme style

And another...

Pathmark, Millville NJ. Acme and a new ShopRite are across the street. It's the only "South Jersey" Pathmark scheduled to close. 3 Pathmarks in Philly are closing as well but can't find which ones.

MikeRa

Quote from: DerangedHermit on August 17, 2010, 02:01:42 PM
A list I compiled of all closing A&P, Pathmark, and Waldbaums stores...

A&P - Maplewood, NJ
A&P - Berlin, CT
Pathmark - Marlboro, NJ
Pathmark - Little Falls, NJ
Pathmark - Fort Lee, NJ
Pathmark - North Bergen, NJ
Pathmark - Garden City Park, NY
Pathmark - North Brunswick, NJ
Waldbaum's - Centereach, NY
Waldbaum's - Levittown, NY
Pathmark - Belleville, NJ
Pathmark - South Plainfield, NJ
Pathmark - Union, NJ
Pathmark - Monsey, NY

(I think the ? ones are all Pathmark, but I'm not certain)

Centereach is the closest one closing near me, and it makes sense. They have Walmart right across the road, Pathmark a light east of Waldbaums, and Whole Foods a few miles west.

edited for corrections and clarifications
The Pathmark in Bristol, PA is also closing on October 13.  Here's a link to the new article: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/175/2010/august/18/pathmark-closing-in-l-bucks.html
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Updated list (Thanks to Groceteria.com):

• A&P - Maplewood, NJ
  • A&P - Berlin, CT
  • A&P - Lodi, NJ
  • A&P - East Brunswick, NJ (1990's Design)
  • A&P - Woodbridge, NJ (1990's Design)
  • A&P - Yorktown Heights, NY
  • Pathmark - Marlboro, NJ
  • Pathmark - Little Falls, NJ
  • Pathmark - Fort Lee, NJ
  • Pathmark - North Bergen, NJ
  • Pathmark - Garden City Park, NY
  • Pathmark - North Brunswick, NJ
  • Pathmark - Belleville, NJ
  • Pathmark - South Plainfield, NJ
  • Pathmark - Union, NJ
  • Pathmark - Monsey, NY
  • Pathmark - Bristol, PA (Opened in early to mid 1980's)
  • Pathmark - Millville, NJ
  • Pathmark - Broomall, PA
  • superfresh - Towson, MD (Opened as a Centennial/Colonial A&P)
  • superfresh  -Wheaton, MD
  • Waldbaum's - Centereach, NY
  • Waldbaum's - Levittown, NY

BillyGr

• Pathmark - Marlboro, NJ

I went to http://www.aptea.com (the corporate site) and found the lists of all the stores (by state) - I don't see a listing for this one, but I DO see an A&P in Marlboro - maybe that's the one.

The only other two from the list that leave a question are Towson MD (they have 2 Superfresh stores) and Belleville NJ (listings for 2 Pathmarks).

Plus there are 2 more somewhere (listing is up to 23 of the 25 reported).

BillyGr

Updated this listing with the addresses for the stores, in case anyone wants to check any of them out.

Quote from: MikeRa on August 23, 2010, 06:30:08 PM

• A&P - Berlin, CT - 207 Webster Square Rd, Kensington (No listing for Berlin, but this is close by, so a guess??)
  • A&P - Maplewood, NJ - 453 Valley St
  • A&P - Marlboro, NJ - 468 Country Rd 520 (If this is correct as A&P, since no Pathmark listed in this town)
  • A&P - Lodi, NJ - 4 Memorial Drive
  • A&P - East Brunswick, NJ (1990's Design) - 647 Rt 18 (But well hidden back from the road, while the PathMark is right on the road and connected to the A&P by a parking lot with a Kmart in between)
  • A&P - Woodbridge, NJ (1990's Design) - 780 St Georges Ave
  • A&P - Yorktown Heights, NY - 100 Triangle Ctr

• Pathmark - Little Falls, NJ - 1710 US 46
  • Pathmark - Fort Lee, NJ - 1475 Bergen Blvd
  • Pathmark - North Bergen, NJ - 2115 69th St
  • Pathmark - North Brunswick, NJ - 1345 US Hwy 1
  • Pathmark - Belleville, NJ - 726 Washington Ave OR 115 Belmont Ave
  • Pathmark - South Plainfield, NJ - 3600 Park Ave
  • Pathmark - Union, NJ - 2463 Rt 22 West
  • Pathmark - Millville, NJ - 2225 No. Second St
  • Pathmark - Monsey, NY - 45 NY Rt 59
  • Pathmark - Garden City Park, NY - 23-05 Jericho Tpke
  • Pathmark - Bristol, PA (Opened in early to mid 1980's) - 2671 Durham Road
  • Pathmark - Broomall, PA - 30 Lawrence Road

• superfresh - Towson, MD (Opened as a Centennial/Colonial A&P) - 1238 Putty Hill Ave OR 832 Dulaney Valley Rd
  • superfresh  -Wheaton, MD - 3901 Aspen Hill Road

• Waldbaum's - Centereach, NY - 1934 Middle Country Road
  • Waldbaum's - Levittown, NY - 3377 Hempstead Turnpike

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on August 23, 2010, 09:32:00 PM

• A&P - Berlin, CT - 207 Webster Square Rd, Kensington (No listing for Berlin, but this is close by, so a guess??)

That's it. Kensingston and East Berlin are all part of Berlin and I think there is a South Kensington too. But heaven forbid if you tell someone in Kensington that they live in Berlin. They like to pretend Berlin is far far away. You live in Kensington, East Berlin, and South Kensington you pay your taxes to the town of Berlin. You vote in the Berlin Municipal Elections. If your car gets stolen the Berlin Police show up.

retailisking

For folks who follow the fates of old former A&P Centennial/Colonial buildings...the outgoing current occupant of the building is called Chapter 11!
http://www.bridgton.com/bridgdt.php

Caldor1999

i currently work at an a&p and looking at this list i think it was a bad idea to buy pathmark they run to many other supermarkets i mean besides a&p they also run waldbaums food emporium pathmark super fresh and something called food basics 
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

katnapped

Quote from: BillyGr on August 23, 2010, 09:32:00 PM
Updated this listing with the addresses for the stores, in case anyone wants to check any of them out.

Pathmark - Garden City Park, NY - 23-05 Jericho Tpke

That one was a Hills Supermarket originally

Pathmark - Bristol, PA (Opened in early to mid 1980's) - 2671 Durham Road

The Pennsylvania Turnpike was planning on building an interchange in the area and one of the possibilities was to demolish Pathmark and the shopping center it was in.  Those plans were scrapped years ago (no idea what came of them)

Waldbaum's - Levittown, NY - 3377 Hempstead Turnpike

Built in the early '90s...apparently had it's lunch eaten by the nearby King Kullen and Stop & Shop

AmesNewington

Oh well, it's finally happened. A&P is calling it quits in Connecticut. I can't believe it. I'm now out of a job. Waldbaum's in West Hartford is one of the 7 stores (on top of Berlin) closing. Words can't describe how shocked I am.

The 7 stores that are closing are West Hartford, Middletown, Branford, East Haven, Naugatuck, Old Lyme and Mystic. That makes up of all the central CT operations. The remaining A&Ps near the New York border in CT are staying open.

BillyGr

According to the article on retailingtoday.com, they are selling these 7 stores to Big Y rather than just outright closing them as they are with the others previously listed - not sure if that makes a difference in what happens with the employees (as if the stores remain open they'd still need workers, but not necessarily the same ones).

Also, just to note they will still have 6 stores in CT (2 A&P in Danbury, 1 each in Greenwich, Riverside and Stamford and a Food Emporium in New Cannan), which seem to be logical ones to keep given their proximity to the stores that A&P also has in NY.

DerangedHermit

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 08, 2010, 06:30:47 PM
Oh well, it's finally happened. A&P is calling it quits in Connecticut. I can't believe it. I'm now out of a job. Waldbaum's in West Hartford is one of the 7 stores (on top of Berlin) closing. Words can't describe how shocked I am.

I'm not surprised. This company is tanking.

Looks like the NYC and Philly metros will probably be A&P's last stand. If they slip there, they're done for and Shoprite and Ahold can pick up their remains.

ynkeesfn82

Full details of the planned sale of A&P's 7 stores to Big Y.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news14718.html

BillyGr

Thanks to the latest posting at AcmeStyle, the last two of the original 25 stores have been revealed as the Suprefreshes in Willow Grove and Lansdale, PA.  Here is the complete updated listing of closing and being sold stores.

• A&P - Berlin, CT - 207 Webster Square Rd, Kensington
  • A&P - Marlboro, NJ - 468 Country Rd 520
  • A&P - East Brunswick, NJ (1990's Design) - 647 Rt 18

• Pathmark - Belleville, NJ - 726 Washington Ave OR 115 Belmont Ave

• superfresh - Towson, MD (Opened as a Centennial/Colonial A&P) - 1238 Putty Hill Ave OR 832 Dulaney Valley Rd
  • superfresh - Wheaton, MD - 3901 Aspen Hill Road
  • superfresh - Willow Grove, PA - 3070 Welsh Road
  • superfresh - Lansdale, PA - 2333 West Main Street

The following are the stores being sold to Big Y:

• A&P - Old Lyme, CT - 90 Halls Road
  • A&P - Branford, CT - 1060 W Main St
  • A&P - Mystic, CT - 126 Stonington Road
  • A&P - East Haven, CT - 745 Foxon Road
  • A&P - Middletown, CT - 820 Washington St
  • A&P - Naugatuck, CT - 699 New Haven Road

• Waldbaum's - West Hartford, CT - 772 N Main Street

acme style

And you can check out the old Maplewood store at Acme Style...

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/maplewood-nj.html

MikeRa

• A&P - East Brunswick, NJ (1990's Design) - 647 Rt 18

• Pathmark - Belleville, NJ - 726 Washington Ave
  • Pathmark - Marlboro, NJ - 102 US Hwy 9

• superfresh - Towson, MD (Opened as a Centennial/Colonial A&P) - 832 Dulaney Valley Rd
  • superfresh - Wheaton, MD - 3901 Aspen Hill Road
  • superfresh - Willow Grove, PA - 3070 Welsh Road
  • superfresh - Lansdale, PA - 2333 West Main Street

The following are the stores being sold to Big Y:

• A&P - Old Lyme, CT - 90 Halls Road
  • A&P - Branford, CT - 1060 W Main St
  • A&P - Mystic, CT - 126 Stonington Road
  • A&P - East Haven, CT - 745 Foxon Road
  • A&P - Middletown, CT - 820 Washington St
  • A&P - Naugatuck, CT - 699 New Haven Road

• Waldbaum's - West Hartford, CT - 772 N Main Street

Updated with the correct superfresh closing in Towson, MD, the correct Pathmark in Belleville, NJ, and the Pathmark in Marlboro, NJ

retailisking

A&P is now stiffing landlords in Metro Detroit where it shuttered its Farmer Jack division in 2007.  Is this a sign of a coming Chapter 11 filing?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20101003/SUB01/101009980/a-p-stops-rent-on-farmer-jack-spaces-24-lawsuits-filed-owners-in#

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: MikeRa on September 12, 2010, 07:01:12 PM

My friend who has worked there more than 10 years told me their final day is this Friday October 15 after 40 years of service to the community. He also told me Stop & Shop bought their lease to prevent another grocery store from opening in its place.

Stop & Shop never learns does it? They got in a lot of trouble for doing that in the past.

DerangedHermit

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on October 10, 2010, 12:15:08 PM
Stop & Shop never learns does it? They got in a lot of trouble for doing that in the past.

A&P does this too.

Caldor1999

i keep hearing rumors that there going to file for ch 11
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

A&P announced their 2nd Quarter results on 10/21:
http://www.aptea.com/pressRoom_article.asp?id=211

Caldor1999

its official now

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_a_p_bankruptcy_filing#mwpphu-container

kinda sad there not that bad as a supermarket i wish this would happen to some crappy supermarket like dagastinos or shop rite i worked for both of them and they treat there employees like crap and there stores are over priced and dirty
Caldor Forever!

store215

Quote from: Caldor1999 on December 13, 2010, 01:51:40 AM
its official now

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_a_p_bankruptcy_filing#mwpphu-container

kinda sad there not that bad as a supermarket i wish this would happen to some crappy supermarket like dagastinos or shop rite i worked for both of them and they treat there employees like crap and there stores are over priced and dirty

"ShopRite" stores are independently owned, so everything of course varies based on the owner. In the Philly area, A&P has been declining for a long time. They operate under the name SuperFresh here, and there is nothing "super" (or in some cases, "Fresh") about these stores. They have already closed many of them in the past few years, and haven't been close to a market leader for some time. Prices are ridiculously high and they were too late in the game of upgrading stores with things people want.
Then they bought out Pathmark, which was having financial problems of its own. They seemed to have a good plan going, but I have heard regular prices there have become insanely high as well (although they still seem to have good sales). Again, the stores are nothing special.

They are unfortunately going to have to shut down a lot more stores and pull out of some completely if they want to survive. I see them cutting back to only having stores in the NY area (there are very few grocery chains that operate in NYC and there are a fair amount of Pathmark and Food Emporium stores) and maybe some in the Jersey/Philly area. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of the philly suburbs alltogether though. There is just too much competition here.

EddieJ1984

I thought when they aquired pathmark and converted most of the philly superfresh's to pathmark sav-a-center's it was a bad move, especially how nice some of the superfresh's looked on the inside, got changed to the cheap look of sav-a-center, hell same is true for existing pathmark's, they made them look cheap, also the prices were never that significantly cheaper.

Also I live near an acme, shop rite, shop n bag and pathmark (formely superfresh). I go to pathmark the least.