Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

Stop & Shop will definitely open in the former Shaw's in downtown New Haven, CT.

www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/stop_and_shop_to_set_up_shop/id_33386

retailisking

Now a Hannaford

retailisking

The Freehold Town­ship, Manalapan, Neptune City, Point Pleasant Beach and Long Branch locations are being sold to Ahold
http://www.app.com/article/20110322/NJBIZ/110322004/Norkus-sell-5-Foodtown-groceries-Stop-Shop-take-over

retailisking

Zayre88

I'm not too familiar with Stop & Shop.  I've visited a store in Bedford NH and while the store was nice, clean and modern, prices were not that good.  I've seen better at Hannaford and Market Basket!

standa

Is Stop & Shop discontinuing the Staples products?  I noticed at my local store that they were replaced with stationery of other brands, mostly Stop & Shop store brands.

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on May 04, 2011, 09:20:29 AM
Is Stop & Shop discontinuing the Staples products?  I noticed at my local store that they were replaced with stationery of other brands, mostly Stop & Shop store brands.

Yeah, they did that a while ago at my store.

ynkeesfn82

Stop & Shop has teamed up with Shell Gas Stations for its gas program.

retailisking

Stop & Shop has finalized the purchase of five Norkus-owned Foodtowns in NJ and the conversions are already underway
http://pointpleasant.patch.com/articles/stop-shop-to-open-in-point-beach-next-week

ynkeesfn82

The town of Amityville, Long Island is upset with Stop & Shop over its new "Fruit Bowl" logo. Town officials say the colors violate a town ordinance that dictates what color buildings and signs can be.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/05/amityville-at-odds-with-stop-shop-over-new-logo/

RoleModel

Quote from: Marc B on July 05, 2011, 12:14:23 PM
The town of Amityville, Long Island is upset with Stop & Shop over its new "Fruit Bowl" logo. Town officials say the colors violate a town ordinance that dictates what color buildings and signs can be.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/05/amityville-at-odds-with-stop-shop-over-new-logo/

It's especially funny because Amityville is not significantly different aesthetically from any other South Shore town on Long Island. Even the Town of Southampton (which encompasses all the major Hamptons except East Hampton, and also has strict zoning ordinances) didn't freak out like this over the Stop & Shop in Hampton Bays.

ynkeesfn82

Foodhold USA (owners of Stop & Shop and Giant) are changing the logos on their Guaranteed Value Products.

These Chicken Patties I picked up at the Bristol, CT store today 8/22/11. They were right along side the ones with the older logo. They were on sale for $3.99

EddieJ1984

Quote from: Marc B on August 22, 2011, 11:46:16 AM
Foodhold USA (owners of Stop & Shop and Giant) are changing the logos on their Guaranteed Value Products.

These Chicken Patties I picked up at the Bristol, CT store today 8/22/11. They were right along side the ones with the older logo. They were on sale for $3.99

I noticed this the other week (in giant in philly) I like it alot, better than the previous look imo.

RoleModel

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on August 22, 2011, 03:23:43 PM
I noticed this the other week, I like it alot, better than the previous look imo.

Now instead of looking like old no frills packaging, it looks like Walmart Great Value stuff.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: RoleModel on August 23, 2011, 12:39:57 AM
Now instead of looking like old no frills packaging, it looks like Walmart Great Value stuff.

It's weird that 3 separately owned chains use "Value" in the store/generic brand.

Walmart: Great Value
Price Chopper: Clear Value (Generic)
Stop & Shop/Giant: Guaranteed Value

EddieJ1984

Quote from: Marc B on August 23, 2011, 07:38:22 AM

It's weird that 3 separately owned chains use "Value" in the store/generic brand.

Also dont forget "Shoppers Value" from supervalu (acme and the others)

RoleModel

It's not weird at all. There are only so many words in the English language for value.

Scrabbleship

Clear Value is a Topco brand that doesn't see much use probably because it competes with ValuTime. Oddly enough, it's use of yellow packaging is why the BiLo chain down south picked it up after being sold by Ahold to replace Guaranteed Value.

shore72

We shopped at Giant tonight (I'm really getting to like that place!) and should have taken a photo. I happened to be looking at the Guaranteed Value canned dog food and noticed something wrong-turns out half of them were labeled "Giant" and the other half had the "Stop & Shop" logo!

nims57

Quote from: shore72 on August 26, 2011, 10:05:40 PM
We shopped at Giant tonight (I'm really getting to like that place!) and should have taken a photo. I happened to be looking at the Guaranteed Value canned dog food and noticed something wrong-turns out half of them were labeled "Giant" and the other half had the "Stop & Shop" logo!

Aren't there gas stations/convenience stores in Maryland with the "Stop & Shop" name? Yes the same company, but with a slightly different logo?

MikeRa

Quote from: shore72 on August 26, 2011, 10:05:40 PM
The products with the "Stop & Shop/Giant MD" logo is the current design of Ahold USA's products being sold at Stop & Shop, Giant [MD], Giant [PA], and Martin's
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Bdubs

I had to laugh, today I was in Stop & Shop and I just happened to be walking down the soda aisle and notice that a case of 2 liter soda branded "Hannaford" (Hannaford Bros. based outta Mass.) had been placed on the shelf in the private label section.

Must have been a mistake at the warehouse, and was either put on the shelf anyway, or someone just wasn't paying attention.

RoleModel

Quote from: Bdubs on September 12, 2011, 07:57:14 PM
I had to laugh, today I was in Stop & Shop and I just happened to be walking down the soda aisle and notice that a case of 2 liter soda branded "Hannaford" (Hannaford Bros. based outta Mass.) had been placed on the shelf in the private label section.

Must have been a mistake at the warehouse, and was either put on the shelf anyway, or someone just wasn't paying attention.

I've seen Acme table salt and Shaws ice cream pops in the Stop & Shop I work at on Long Island, and I've seen Acme and Guaranteed Value items at Pathmark.

Scrabbleship

I've seen Safeway products (namely Eating Right*) at Giant-Landover locations before and not too long I saw some Best Yet products in the grocery section of my local Target. I chalk the latter to a C&S error.

Of course, there then are Ahold store brands ending up at the wrong places and Supervalu store brands ending up at the wrong places (Shaw's pudding, Acme rice, and Jewel cereal at a Shoppers) which makes no wonder why both companies are standardizing their store brands.

* Safeway DOES syndicate Eating Right to some chains outside their sales area, Price Chopper being one of them.

ynkeesfn82

There has been a minor change made to the Stop & Shop flyer. I live in Bristol, CT and when I get my weekly Stop & Shop flyer in the mail it would say Bristol/Forestville on the front of the flyer meaning the sales were valid at both Bristol Locations - the main one on Farmington Ave and the one on Pine Street in the Forestville section of Bristol. Today Bristol/Forestville is not on the front page of the flyer and then I see on the back page of the flyer:

Bristol, Forestville, Cromwell, Middletown, Groton, Waterford, Hartford, West Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Montville, Naugatuck, Torrington, East Torrington, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, and Willimantic.

retailisking

Stop & Shop is opening a new Chelmsford store in just over a week; some observers see it as a reaction to Wegmans.  The new store, which is situated across from Market Basket, was tied up in litigation for ten years (the Demoulas family, of course.)

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/top-stories/headlines/industry-intelligence/id34150/stop-shop-readies-next-evolution-store/
http://www.patriotledger.com/business/x1100396259/New-Stop-Shop-concept-store-opens-in-Chelmsford

RoleModel

Quote from: retailisking on November 09, 2011, 01:39:49 PM
Stop & Shop is opening a new Chelmsford store in just over a week; some observers see it as a reaction to Wegmans.  The new store, which is situated across from Market Basket, was tied up in litigation for ten years (the Demoulas family, of course.)

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/top-stories/headlines/industry-intelligence/id34150/stop-shop-readies-next-evolution-store/

This is what they need to continue to do: take good ideas from their sister Giant-PA division (and their competitors that do these kinds of things, like some ShopRites and Wegmans).

Aside from Scan-It, shopping at Stop & Shop is very average and ordinary.

RoleModel

Hell, the new Chelmsford, MA store even LOOKS like what Giant-PA's new stores look like. More of these, less Stop & Shop mediocrity.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/chelmsford/newsnow/x890862949/Chelmsford-welcomes-new-Stop-Shop?photo=0#axzz1ePf9J7AO