Sears plans to close 50-80 more stores: report

Started by retailisking, December 21, 2018, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The 50-80 stores would come out of the 500 or so "go forward" stores according to CNBC, which would take the remaining store count down into the 400s. In other news, the Lampert bid did not secure "stalking horse" status, which weakens his position in bankruptcy court
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/12/19/sears-plans-more-store-closures-as-challenges-mount-for-lampert-bid-.html

retailisking

And here's the list; of course, this could be just the beginning of the end if no bids for the whole enchilada come in by the close of business today
https://searsholdings.com/docs/122818_store_closing_list.pdf

giantsfan2016

With the Vernon, CT KMART closing there will be one left in CT in Watertown. The remaining 2 Sears in Danbury and Manchester are staying open (for now).

MikeinBuffalo

Man, Buffalo's last Kmart lives to fight another day. Awesome  ;D
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on December 28, 2018, 01:42:05 PM
With the Vernon, CT KMART closing there will be one left in CT in Watertown. The remaining 2 Sears in Danbury and Manchester are staying open (for now).

I saw Vernon on the list and how could that close and WAtertown left? wow CT was never a Kmart state. Kmart should just close!

danfifepsu

AmesNewington

Is there an updated list of the 400 Sears/Kmart locations that are remaining open after the latest round of 80 store close in March? Just want to see how many locations there will be in each state.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 21, 2019, 10:19:16 AM
Is there an updated list of the 400 Sears/Kmart locations that are remaining open after the latest round of 80 store close in March? Just want to see how many locations there will be in each state.

many states like a few. each chain they will have stores in only 30 something chains, mostly pulled out of the Middle of the US and I find these chains now to be more of a regional chain than national

AmesNewington

I visited the closing Kmart in Vernon, CT on Tuesday, February 27, 2019. It was the last time for me as by the time I finally decided to drive to the Manchester area (had to overcome being afraid of the Putnam Bridge). My dad started driving us to the Vernon store right after Cromwell closed, and we continued going a half dozen times at least. When I heard of the closing, I wanted to get there one more time before the sale started but when we went on January 5, they had already started liquidation. We bought a great deal then, and I wish I considered going earlier than last Tuesday, because the sign on the window said "Last 5 Days". Which means as I write this, today (3/2/2019) is the last day. I tried finding something to buy, but they had hardly anything I could ever use. I didn't want to waste my time on a small purchase of something I didn't need. They had a good amount of clothes left (mostly womens), some off brand toys, and the front aisles were crammed with oddball items that were either something you wouldn't need, or items that were opened or damaged. The back of the store was blocked off from customers with a pathway to the restrooms in back. What I noticed was that with these Sears and Kmart closings, the key items left over in the GOB sales include clear Christmas lights, throw blankets (tons of them), and coats. Cromwell was very similar. The duration of these GOB sales are about the same with each location. Vernon's last day was a week before Cromwell's, but Cromwell started a week after Vernon with the GOB sale. Cromwell and Vernon closed ten days apart from each other and two years apart (Cromwell closed March 12, 2017).

I will miss this store (not as much as Cromwell, but both looked similar in appearance and layout). Glad I still have Watertown to go to every now and then. I really think that this one was closed at the last minute because Sears in Manchester is only 10 minutes away from here, even though they are not in the same town). They had a following, and to make it this long with the Buckland Hills area so close tells me they must have done decent enough over the years. Still wish they kept it open.