Xpect Discount Closing in Danbury

Started by scottw73, January 15, 2015, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottw73

While doing my weekly shopping at Xpect, I was saddened to hear from an employee that they will close on February 28th. That will leave Aldi's and Stop & Shop as the only Grocery Stores left on Newtown Road (S&S does have another location on Lake Avenue) . Shoprite in Brookfield, Wholefoods, Trader Joe's A&P, CTown and Pricerite are the other players left in the grocery game.  Location currently houses a Nardelli's, was a Pathmark in the 70's and early 80's. Xpect still has locations in Milford, Cromwell and West Haven.

It's Official:

http://www.newstimes.com/business/article/Xpect-to-close-its-doors-84-to-lose-jobs-in-6028043.php

ynkeesfn82

That's at least the 2nd one that has closed recently. A friend of mine's wife told me there used to be one in Orange, but that one closed. She told me she used to go to the one in Orange when visiting her parents in Seymour. She wishes they would open one in Waterbury. (She lives in Wolcott). There already too many "junk" stores in Waterbury.

Although they were closed for the night so I didn't get to go in the last time I was in Cromwell it seems to me that they are like an Ocean State Job Lot store with a pharmacy inside.

scottw73

You're right Marc, they are kind of like an OSJL, They closed their pharmacies a while ago. They have good prices on Dairy, Produce, and Soda. They did have one in Derby on Pershing drive that closed a while back. I believe the Cromwell location was a Kmart Foods, similar to the Waterbury location.

BillyGr

Never quite sure how they got that small group of stores in CT anyway, since the close to 60 stores of the main chain (http://www.marcs.com) are in Ohio, with nothing in between.

JimSawhill

Quote from: scottw73 on January 15, 2015, 09:27:57 PM
You're right Marc, they are kind of like an OSJL, They closed their pharmacies a while ago. They have good prices on Dairy, Produce, and Soda. They did have one in Derby on Pershing drive that closed a while back. I believe the Cromwell location was a Kmart Foods, similar to the Waterbury location.

Cromwell was Grand Union...

scottw73

I have a feeling Xpect's days in Connecticut are numbered. If they didn't renew Danbury's lease, I suspect that as Orange, Cromwell and West Haven's leases come up for renewal, they will not be renewed as well.

AmesNewington

Quote from: scottw73 on January 22, 2015, 12:41:53 PM
I have a feeling Xpect's days in Connecticut are numbered. If they didn't renew Danbury's lease, I suspect that as Orange, Cromwell and West Haven's leases come up for renewal, they will not be renewed as well.

If Cromwell's Xpect was to close, and Kmart next door ever decided to close (which I hope not, but it's sure to happen), a medium sized Target could very well open in both spaces. I'm not sure if Target would be a good fit for the Cromwell/Middletown area, but I always thought that it would be good for that corner (Shunpike Road and West Street). The closest Target locations would be in Newington and maybe Meriden. Kmart and Xpect still fit in that area and do a decent business. However, both stores are extremely outdated.