Main Menu

Fall River, MA Past and Present

Started by Wild_Rose, February 20, 2020, 12:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild_Rose

This is the former Fall River, Massachusetts location. Today it is a Burlington. Before Ames it was a Zayre. Inside, there isn't much evidence that it was ever an Ames even though the interior is due for a bit of renovation and you can tell its been decades since it had a good interior remodeling.  There's actually more evidence of Ames at a nearby Ocean State Job Lot in Somerset that has some register lights with the old green "A+" logo on them.  I'm not sure how they ended up with them, so its even more interesting and that plaza in Somerset where the Job Lot is used to be home to a Bradlees.  Apparently, its not that uncommon since from what I gather OSJB did end up with some old Ames fixtures and carriages, but I still found it interesting since this was Somerset and the only Ames I know of in the area were Fall River, North Dartmouth and perhaps Raynham if you wanted to go that far out.

I have a few memories of this location. I went to a nearby school so it was pretty common for me to kill time at Ames and other stores in that plaza while I was waiting for my ride home. I wish I cared  more when I knew it was closing, but I doubt any 13 year old was that heartbroken over Ames shutting its doors. At least last year I spent some good time in my nearest Sears before it closed last summer.

BillyGr

Quote from: Wild_Rose on February 20, 2020, 12:35:43 AM
There's actually more evidence of Ames at a nearby Ocean State Job Lot in Somerset that has some register lights with the old green "A+" logo on them.  I'm not sure how they ended up with them, so its even more interesting and that plaza in Somerset where the Job Lot is used to be home to a Bradlees.  Apparently, its not that uncommon since from what I gather OSJB did end up with some old Ames fixtures and carriages, but I still found it interesting since this was Somerset and the only Ames I know of in the area were Fall River, North Dartmouth and perhaps Raynham if you wanted to go that far out.

Probably not too surprising, since there are at least some OSJL locations in former Ames stores, and being the type of company they are with closeouts, it wouldn't be surprising if they had people that went out when some of these chains were closing to pick up cheap but still useable store fixtures (in fact, our local OSJL just added several more normal store shelf units in their food section, replacing some lower wooden counters they had which obviously couldn't hold as much selection - no idea where those came from).