Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 07:33:53 PM
I'm just saying what I'm hearing from people at Shoprite. I don't know how long PC's lease is in Southington, but they opened in 2004, so if they signed a 10 year lease their lease could be up in 2014. That's why they would close in 2014. Stew's in Newington is approximately 110,000 Square Feet. The PC in Southington is 95,000 square feet so it's only 15,000 Square feet smaller. And most stores vary in size.  And Stew's is done trying to get into Orange. An article in the New Haven Register last year some sort of medical complex is going to be built on the property where Stew's was trying to get into.

You shouldn't believe anyone from Shoprite unless they have proof. How slow is PC? Bad enough to close?

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 23, 2013, 08:20:51 PM
Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 07:33:53 PM
I'm just saying what I'm hearing from people at Shoprite. I don't know how long PC's lease is in Southington, but they opened in 2004, so if they signed a 10 year lease their lease could be up in 2014. That's why they would close in 2014. Stew's in Newington is approximately 110,000 Square Feet. The PC in Southington is 95,000 square feet so it's only 15,000 Square feet smaller. And most stores vary in size.  And Stew's is done trying to get into Orange. An article in the New Haven Register last year some sort of medical complex is going to be built on the property where Stew's was trying to get into.

You shouldn't believe anyone from Shoprite unless they have proof. How slow is PC? Bad enough to close?

The business could be slow and it's a huge building for a grocery store. They should really sublease 35,000 sq to another retailer, to bad Best Buy is struggling. It would be perfect there, since Waterbury doesn't have one or any electronic retailer. Yes  I did read they have given up on Orange after 14 years and are trying to sell land. I know people who work at Stews and they haven't heard any rumors about Southington, bc like me, they cant see one moving there. They go after big markets and Danbury really isn't that far away.

But rumors are a fun game, especially in the retail world. I remember when I work at Toys R Us in Newington, all the different rumors about what would go into caldors. Home Depot, Kohls, a Toys R Us super store, I heard it all lol, but it was fun to hear them.

ynkeesfn82

I've read on different forums that quite a few people in Southington want a Whole Pay Check, oops I  mean Whole Foods to open in town. The town can't support the 4 grocery stores that are in town now.  If PC does close and Whole Foods took over part of their building there would be something like 45,000 square feet left over. Whole Foods stores are smaller averaging around 50,000 Square Feet.

Southington:

Population = 42,000

Grocery Stores:

All of these are along Route 10:

1. Shoprite
2. Price Chopper
3. Stop & Shop

The 4th Grocery Store is in the Plantsville Section of town and is called Tops IGA Marketplace. (no connection to the Tops chain).

In addition to the 4 traditional grocery stores Southington also has Target and Walmart which both have decent size grocery sections.

ynkeesfn82

For what it's worth I was able to confirm that PC in Southington's lease expires in January 2014 and they have not renewed their lease yet. Stay tuned.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on February 25, 2013, 07:50:27 PM
For what it's worth I was able to confirm that PC in Southington's lease expires in January 2014 and they have not renewed their lease yet. Stay tuned.

The operative word may be "yet."

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on February 25, 2013, 07:50:27 PM

10 years seems like such a short term lease. I always wondered how retail companies sign leases. Like do Walmart and Target lease long term leases?

I been very fascinated with leases recently bc I work for a major insurance company in hartford for the property management group and handle all the leases across the country. Those leases are typically 5 years, so makes me wonder how the retail world does them.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 23, 2013, 05:25:42 PM
Rumor Unconfirmed: Price Chopper in Southington closing in 2014. To be replaced by Stew Leonard's.

Stew Leonard's to the PC?? I just hope Stew's doesn't expand in a way it will cause them to go out of business...

ynkeesfn82

Update: I have heard PC signed a 7 year lease renewal for Southington. This is straight from someone I know who works there. He also told me Bristol, CT might be closing and not just because Walmart Neighborhood Market is opening a new store in July on adjacent property. If PC does close in Bristol will the last store in The Bristol Commons please turn off the lights? They are also looking at the former New Britain Shaw's for a store.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 07, 2013, 05:54:08 PM
Update: I have heard PC signed a 7 year lease renewal for Southington. This is straight from someone I know who works there. He also told me Bristol, CT might be closing and not just because Walmart Neighborhood Market is opening a new store in July on adjacent property. If PC does close in Bristol will the last store in The Bristol Commons please turn off the lights? They are also looking at the former New Britain Shaw's for a store.

If Bristol does close, it will be ironic, because they opened almost 10 years ago next to Shaws and eventually Shaws closed. It's interesting Price Chopper wants to open in New Britain. I thought Walmart market would want that space since they are no longer in NB as a dept store. I don't like the Newington PC. It is so understaffed and everyone is so unfriendly there.

Bristol Commons would be a nice place for a Target or Kohls. But I assume those stores don't suit the Bristol market.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 07, 2013, 06:20:29 PM
Bristol Commons would be a nice place for a Target or Kohls. But I assume those stores don't suit the Bristol market.

Kohl's should've took that spot from Caldor instead of KMART. It would've been the perfect size. Now it's too big for Kohl's. These days Kohl's are concentrating on opening smaller stores like the on they just opened on The Berlin Turnpike rather than larger ones like they one they built in Plainville and elsewhere.

As for Target that would be a good idea, but they'd have to demolish part of the plaza and I don't think the landlord would demolish part of the plaza because of the clock tower. That clock tower has been there since the days of Caldor.  That is also why this Price Chopper does not have the traditional Price Chopper exterior look like the ones in Southington, (former Waterbury), etc. Target wanted to build next to Big Lots in Bristol years ago, but the would have had to take 6 acres of land from the Bristol Parks Dept and that was a violation of the agreement when the land was left to the city in the early 1900s. That's when they decided to build Target in Southington. BJs was next and had the same problem as Target so they too built in Southington instead.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 23, 2013, 07:03:27 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on February 23, 2013, 06:16:24 PM
Rumor Unconfirmed: Price Chopper in Southington closing in 2014. To be replaced by Stew Leonard's.

Enough with these rumors, Marc. PC should have closed by now if the rumors prior were supposed to happen. Also, would Stew Leonards really be looking at Southington for a new store?

If Price Chopper were to close, it wouldnt wait till 2014. Also, Stew Leonards wouldnt move to Southington. A. building is to small and B. Southingtons market is way to small to handle a store like that. Stew's goes after A type markets, Norwalk, Yonkers, Danbury, Newington. They are still trying to get into Orange and Manchester would be on there rador way before Southington, as its a C/D Market.

Manchester is an A market?

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2013, 02:35:33 PM

Enough with these rumors, Marc. PC should have closed by now if the rumors prior were supposed to happen. Also, would Stew Leonards really be looking at Southington for a new store?

If Price Chopper were to close, it wouldnt wait till 2014. Also, Stew Leonards wouldnt move to Southington. A. building is to small and B. Southingtons market is way to small to handle a store like that. Stew's goes after A type markets, Norwalk, Yonkers, Danbury, Newington. They are still trying to get into Orange and Manchester would be on there rador way before Southington, as its a C/D Market.

Yes Manchester is an A market. Manchester and Milford/Orange are the two biggest markets for retail in Ct. Fully part, they both have crappy malls lol.

Joeg

Any other news about PC opening any new stores in CT/WMass??

TRU7536

Quote from: Joeg on March 08, 2013, 04:25:30 PM
Any other news about PC opening any new stores in CT/WMass??

Weren't they building a new one by Uconn or was that another supermarket?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 08, 2013, 06:44:42 PM
Weren't they building a new one by Uconn or was that another supermarket?

Yes that is true. Not sure when it's supposed to open

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 08, 2013, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2013, 02:35:33 PM

Yes Manchester is an A market. Manchester and Milford/Orange are the two biggest markets for retail in Ct. Fully part, they both have crappy malls lol.

Boy....I wouldn't have thought Manchester was....

TRU7536

so i decided to do my grocery shopping at PC Vernon (they had good sales on stuff i needed) this week. I usually do it at Shop Rite in Manchester and Target. Boy for a friday at 6pm, the store was emtpy. They only had three check out lanes open and one being a 10 or less lane. Even SR on a friday afteroon is busy, so i assume this store doesnt do well in sales. You can tell it use to be a department store, does anyone know what was there before. I know Ames use to be in the plaza and PC seems to big for that store they are in. They have alot of "extra space" and no bank or buffet section.

Looks dumpy compared to the Newington PC.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 16, 2013, 01:07:57 PM
so i decided to do my grocery shopping at PC Vernon (they had good sales on stuff i needed) this week. I usually do it at Shop Rite in Manchester and Target. Boy for a friday at 6pm, the store was emtpy. They only had three check out lanes open and one being a 10 or less lane. Even SR on a friday afteroon is busy, so i assume this store doesnt do well in sales. You can tell it use to be a department store, does anyone know what was there before. I know Ames use to be in the plaza and PC seems to big for that store they are in. They have alot of "extra space" and no bank or buffet section.

The Vernon PC used to be Ames. I've heard that the Vernon store is the largest PC in the state.

TRU7536

Quote from: d_fife on October 05, 2005, 05:29:43 PM
This price chopper is in Vernon Connecticut and was an Ames that was 93,000 square feet and opened last year.

Found out my answer about the Vernon PC, 93,000 SF is alot for a food store.

ynkeesfn82

From Price Chopper on Facebook:

New Coupon Policy goes into effect on Monday March 25th.

Competitor coupons only being accepted from other supermarkets and Target. Competitor coupons from warehouse clubs, drug stores, and dollar stores will no longer be accepted.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 16, 2013, 02:10:03 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on March 16, 2013, 01:07:57 PM

The Vernon PC used to be Ames. I've heard that the Vernon store is the largest PC in the state.

The Vernon store was a W.T. Grants with a Bradford House restaurant in it!

retailisking

For the first time in its history, the Schenectady, NY-based grocery chain cuts staff at headquarters
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2013/04/03/price-chopper-eliminates-80-positions.html

ynkeesfn82

I seriously don't see how the one in Southington, CT stays open. They're always a ghost-town.

Fact 1: A friend of mine wanted to go shopping at Shoprite on a recent Monday afternoon, but said it was too crowded, so she went down the street to the Price Chopper and said it was largely deserted.

Fact 2: I went to the Southington Price Chopper for breakfast Wednesday Morning and they were largely deserted, while Shoprite was much busier and this was at 9AM!!!! (By breakfast I mean I got 2 bagels and a 1 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper).

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 06, 2013, 08:09:06 AM
I seriously don't see how the one in Southington, CT stays open. They're always a ghost-town.

Fact 1: A friend of mine wanted to go shopping at Shoprite on a recent Monday afternoon, but said it was too crowded, so she went down the street to the Price Chopper and said it was largely deserted.

Fact 2: I went to the Southington Price Chopper for breakfast Wednesday Morning and they were largely deserted, while Shoprite was much busier and this was at 9AM!!!! (By breakfast I mean I got 2 bagels and a 1 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper).

That's not a breakfast!! ;D

ynkeesfn82

nysw3636

Price Chopper Poughkeepsie was forced to close Sunday. It will reopen tomorrow from what I am told (they are receiving beer deliveries tomorrow atleast). Some company has been working on repairing the roof for the past 5 months. Building is a former Montgomery Ward....

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20131007/NEWS01/310070016/Roof-leak-shutters-Price-Chopper?nclick_check=1

BillyGr

Quote from: nysw3636 on October 07, 2013, 03:24:53 PM
Price Chopper Poughkeepsie was forced to close Sunday. It will reopen tomorrow from what I am told (they are receiving beer deliveries tomorrow atleast). Some company has been working on repairing the roof for the past 5 months. Building is a former Montgomery Ward....

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20131007/NEWS01/310070016/Roof-leak-shutters-Price-Chopper?nclick_check=1

That must have been where Wards was before they went into the mall?  Do you know if PC had a store there prior (perhaps in the middle or opposite end - or what that was) or just moved into the area at that point? 
Their numbering system doesn't give really much of a clue as to order of stores.

nysw3636

Before I go further, Price Chopper did not open today. They are hoping for tomorrow, if building inspector allows. Correct, this is where Montgomery Wards was before the move to the Poughkeepsie Galleria. It was a two story store, and I was in there plenty of times as a kid. The upper level still exists, but is not used at all. This was Price Choppers first store in Dutchess County(opening in 1993). I do know that way back, there was a Food Fair in this plaza!!! It was where the Dollar Store is now...

UPDATE:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20131008/NEWS01/310080020/Supervisor-Price-Chopper-could-reopen-afternoon

nysw3636

Just an addition, the middle store back in the day was a Woolworths....

ynkeesfn82

I think Price Chopper should change their return policy after an incident in Bristol, Connecticut on Monday. http://bristolpress.com/articles/2013/10/21/news/doc5265e06635c26634442229.txt