Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Price Chopper in Bristol de-cluttered their lobby area. They took all the electric scooters and the vending machines full of toys and moved them into the former Citizen's Bank space. The store is doing well despite Walmart Neighborhood Market opening in the adjacent former Shaw's Supermarket in July of this year.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on November 02, 2013, 12:01:25 PM
Price Chopper in Bristol de-cluttered their lobby area. They took all the electric scooters and the vending machines full of toys and moved them into the former Citizen's Bank space. The store is doing well despite Walmart Neighborhood Market opening in the adjacent former Shaw's Supermarket in July of this year.

Is Wal-Mart 2719 the store across the street. Marc?

ynkeesfn82

So Price Chopper did nothing to acknowledge the 10th Anniversary of their stores in Bristol and Southington, which was about a week and a half or 2 weeks ago.

Sunday afternoon was the busiest I've seen the Southington Price Chopper in a long time. Then again it was the 2nd of the Month, Superbowl Sunday, the first day of the sale, and the day before they were predict a snow storm.

bubcolbert1952

Could the Price Chopper in Worcester MA be a former Stop & Shop? I wonder because it was next to a Bradlees.

Also, what did the Worcester Bradlees become? Here's a picture: http://www.deadmalls.com/stores/bradlees/ (scroll down to the middle of the page)

BillyGr

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 06, 2014, 12:24:39 AM
Could the Price Chopper in Worcester MA be a former Stop & Shop? I wonder because it was next to a Bradlees.

Also, what did the Worcester Bradlees become? Here's a picture: http://www.deadmalls.com/stores/bradlees/ (scroll down to the middle of the page)

Not sure if this store is one of the 12 mentioned, but this 1995 article mentions Price Chopper buying the Big D Chain in Worcester.  Given that the Deadmalls link shows the PC there with the Bradlees sign, it seems likely it would be one of the stores?
http://supermarketnews.com/archive/big-d-chain-be-sold-price-chopper

OK - after going through to register so I can see the whole article, it still isn't definitive - it mentions them getting stores in 10 different towns (Auburn, Framingham, Hudson, Marlboro, Shrewsbury, Spencer, Webster, West Boylston & Worcester) but nothing more specific.  Although, it does mention that they only had 6 stores in Berkshire County at the time and that this would extend their reach, so given the time lapse being short between this aquisition in 1995 and Bradlees departure it would seem a good possibility.  
The only downside being that it mentions that they planned remodels, expansions and replacements for virtually all of the stores in a short period, since the current stores were average 20-40,000 sq ft.

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on February 06, 2014, 07:34:19 PM
Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 06, 2014, 12:24:39 AM

Not sure if this store is one of the 12 mentioned, but this 1995 article mentions Price Chopper buying the Big D Chain in Worcester.  Given that the Deadmalls link shows the PC there with the Bradlees sign, it seems likely it would be one of the stores?
http://supermarketnews.com/archive/big-d-chain-be-sold-price-chopper

OK - after going through to register so I can see the whole article, it still isn't definitive - it mentions them getting stores in 10 different towns (Auburn, Framingham, Hudson, Marlboro, Shrewsbury, Spencer, Webster, West Boylston & Worcester) but nothing more specific.  Although, it does mention that they only had 6 stores in Berkshire County at the time and that this would extend their reach, so given the time lapse being short between this aquisition in 1995 and Bradlees departure it would seem a good possibility.  
The only downside being that it mentions that they planned remodels, expansions and replacements for virtually all of the stores in a short period, since the current stores were average 20-40,000 sq ft.

I wonder if PC remodeled all of those big D stores... Or did they replace them??

silvfx66

Joeg

They just opened a store in Storrs CT on June 6.

standa

I guess Price Chopper is now opening stores in small CT towns, like Oxford and recently opened Storrs.

see link

http://www.chartweb.com/portfolio/oxford-towne-center/

Joeg

WOW! That is intresting.  It is good that a supermarket is expanding, even in a small community.

BillyGr

Kind of like Chatham/Ghent (NY), where they are opening a replacement store next Friday (June 20) to replace an existing store they bought from Grand Union during bankruptcy.

I know the current store was only around 22,000 Sq Ft, even though being opened in March, 1994 (on the small side for that time, even for a small town - at the same time they were working on a new Valatie store at around 49,000 Sq Ft to replace an older one).

Joeg

Also, I think going into small towns with (pretty) small stores is the right way to go.

silvfx66

they are hitting small towns in the states they operate stores. Little Falls and Warrensburg NY are good examples. A brand new store in Watervliet, replacing a store that is at least 60 years old.  You can only build so many 65,000 sft stores before you hit the saturation point .  The storrs and saratoga locations are interesting urban designs that would fit well in many north eastern cities.  Still looking forward to seeing the Market Bistro by Price Chopper location when I hit the Albany area this summer.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: silvfx66 on June 14, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
Still looking forward to seeing the Market Bistro by Price Chopper location when I hit the Albany area this summer.

I saw Market Bistro by Price Chopper on PriceChopper.Com but it really didn't say anything about it. What's that all about?

Also when you go to the link standa posted and then click on flyer for a flyer of the property it says "Anchored by 54,275 sf Price Chopper - New Prototype". What is this new prototype they are talking about?

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on June 15, 2014, 06:42:09 AM
Quote from: silvfx66 on June 14, 2014, 07:26:53 PM
Still looking forward to seeing the Market Bistro by Price Chopper location when I hit the Albany area this summer.

I saw Market Bistro by Price Chopper on PriceChopper.Com but it really didn't say anything about it. What's that all about?

Also when you go to the link standa posted and then click on flyer for a flyer of the property it says "Anchored by 54,275 sf Price Chopper - New Prototype". What is this new prototype they are talking about?

Price Chopper expanded their existing store in Latham, NY (Route 9 near I-87/NY 7/NY 2/Latham Circle).  The store they expanded is actually their THIRD location in this plaza (which may be a record for them having different buildings in one plaza?).

It sits at the right end of the plaza, and they expanded the left side of it into part of what was the former Ames (and before that, Bradlees) buidling, as the current tennant Hobby Lobby used only part of the available space.

In that space, they created what they call "Bistro Boulevard" with several prepared foods areas with a seating area in the center.
In the front, there is an area (Chef's Grill) where you can be seated and have your meal prepared for you - basically a restaurant in store.  They also have a cooking school, along with a second deli (Ben & Bill's, supposed to be a NY style deli - they have those in a couple other stores) and expanded fresh foods/produce (including growing tomatoes in a display in the store).

The rest of the store is basically the same as a regular PC, just with fancier decor (they moved the pharmacy to the front corner so as to add a drive thru - to some degree the layout with short aisles of HABA in front of the pharmacy reminds me of an Acme setup in NJ).  This is supposed to be something they wanted to do as a "test prototype" and then perhaps take parts of it into other locations if they work well here. 
Some are also saying that it is their attempt to be like a certain other NY chain that has lots of fresh and prepared foods a bit further west in the state :) (which, in some sense that food section does kind of look like).

Joeg

Are Price Chopper and Safeway merging??

Joeg

What happen to the Xtreme Discounts in some of the Price Choppers in CT?   The last two weeks there ads had no mention of this.

retailisking

The Albany Business review is reporting that company officials will reveal plans for their future tomorrow morning. Who knows what they have up their sleeves.

ynkeesfn82

The Golub Corporation (parent company of Price Chopper) has announced a $350 Million plan to remodel and rebrand stores as "Market 32".

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2014/11/11/price-chopper-supermarkets-to-invest-350-million.html

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on November 11, 2014, 02:12:56 PM
The Golub Corporation (parent company of Price Chopper) has announced a $350 Million plan to remodel and rebrand stores as "Market 32".

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2014/11/11/price-chopper-supermarkets-to-invest-350-million.html

I wouldn't say too little, but I would say too late. And what's with the new name? It sounds downmarket, just the opposite of what they're trying to convey. They should have just gone with their old name Central Market.

BillyGr

This article appears to say that they will convert all the stores - another one I saw said only about half in five years (which this also says).

When I first saw that I was wondering if they might keep Price Chopper for the "smaller" stores as a way to differentiate those, but I guess not.

Joeg

This also sounds like they me closing some stores, maybe pulling out of CT??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on November 11, 2014, 06:57:53 PM
This also sounds like they me closing some stores, maybe pulling out of CT??

That brings up a good question. Most, if not all CT Price Chopper locations are in middle class towns. These stores don't fit the proper demographic of this new concept. Customers in these neighborhoods are looking for groceries at affordable prices. I was thinking that for the past 10 years or so, the PC's around me have looked pretty much the same since they opened, which was between 2003-2005. The only real change was aisle relocations. They have needed a refresh for a while now. To me, their ads are sloppy and they have too many gimmicks. Way too many "Bonus Coupons", which just cause problems.

ynkeesfn82

Southington and Newington are struggling. I know that for a fact. Bristol is still doing well. Can't tell you about the other stores in Vernon, Windsor, Putnam, Torrington, Middletown, and Storrs.

Joeg

Well. maybe Big Y can pick up the Southington and Newington stores, they would be a great fit for them.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on November 11, 2014, 09:33:00 PM
Southington and Newington are struggling. I know that for a fact. Bristol is still doing well. Can't tell you about the other stores in Vernon, Windsor, Putnam, Torrington, Middletown, and Storrs.

How do you know Southington and Newington are struggling? I can see how they might be. The Berlin Turnpike offers many grocery options. I don't think Big Y would take either locations. For the turnpike, Stop and Shop should still close where Shaws was, and I am hoping some day a ShopRite either takes that spot, or a space in Webster Square in Berlin. This would leave Newington with a Stop and Shop, Best Market, Aldi, Stew Leonards and possibly a ShopRite in town or in nearby Berlin. I'm wondering if PC would sell their CT locations to another chain like what Shaws and A&P did.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 12, 2014, 08:44:02 AM
How do you know Southington and Newington are struggling?

I still know quite a few people who work at the Southington PC. As for Newington? A former co-worker of mine at Hobby Lobby has someone in her family who worked at the Newington PC. They said sales at the Newington PC aren't what they used to be.

ynkeesfn82

I'm wondering if PC would sell their CT locations to another chain like what Shaws and A&P did.

If PC sells their CT locations to another chain I think it should be Delhaize. I know a few people who would be happy if Hannaford opened in Connecticut. These people are familiar with the chain from locations in Upstate New York and in the Maine areas.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on November 12, 2014, 08:51:03 AM
I'm wondering if PC would sell their CT locations to another chain like what Shaws and A&P did.

If PC sells their CT locations to another chain I think it should be Delhaize. I know a few people who would be happy if Hannaford opened in Connecticut. These people are familiar with the chain from locations in Upstate New York and in the Maine areas.

It's funny because I was thinking of Hannaford, but wasn't sure if they were interested in CT.

Joeg

Maybe they would sell to Market Basket!