Drug Emporium

Started by LazarusFan, June 27, 2005, 06:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazarusFan

Even though most of this chain is no more, there's still a few store remain mostly in the West Virginia area.  

The chain had stores in the Midwest and Southwest area.  However, the large discount drug stores fell victim to the smaller drug stores that have a drive thur.  Sort of what happened to Phar-mor.  You just couldn't really have a drive thur in a strip mall or even in a enclosed mall.

I remember an old jingle:
"Savings so big, you need a shopping cart!"

store215

Dirty, disgusting, and out-of date stores, but the prices were much lower than the big 4 (CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens/Eckerd). Their light bulbs would always be out..either in their signs, the parking lot, or inside.  My local store was in a 50's Acme Market and is still sitting empty--I think Rite Aid is trying to buy it, knock it down, and make a new corner store there.

F&M/Vix were other banners of the Drug Emporium Chain. They were bought by another Rx chain around 2000 called "Snyders", but this chain went bankrupt and closed Drug Emporium, F&M, and the Vix store

tokensafari

The one next door to Value City and the former office max in Barboursville, West Virginia is still in business. They're really cheap on a lot of things!

dooneyt63

Drug Emporium was a wonderful store when executed properly.  They had an amazing selection, especially of older hard-to-find items.  Wonder if Snyder is maintaining the trademark?  If not, it might be ripe for a remake on a smaller scale more like the Big 3's corner stores.  I really miss this store.  Phar-Mor had its good points, too.  Their video department and food department were great, especially their Q&V house brand items.  I had hoped Snyder's would be successful with the stores.  They are the successful stewards of the historic Rexall stores in Canada.

Mobil

A Drug Emporium in my area was a former A&P,  became a Gold's Gym in 2005. Another one is now a HomeGoods.

XDeSuEhTX

Drug Emporium is completely gone now I think. The West Virginia locations closed in 2008.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"