Breaking: Stop & Shop customers told to leave stores as workers go on strike

Started by retailisking, April 11, 2019, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Interesting.  When Kroger went on strike here in 1985 they had set a deadline a few days in advance.  At least that way they were able to fire sale the perishables before the store closed.

Competition in the grocery biz is so cutthroat these days that this strike is suicidal IMHO.

giantsfan2016

I'm glad I don't work there anymore and have to deal with this crap. My buddy just got a promotion to full time and a transfer to  different store two months ago. All the employees have to show up for their regularly scheduled shifts and protest in front of the store.

The union steward at the store where me and my buddy worked is completely useless. Several times I had to go over her head to the next person up the food chain in the union to get issues resolved.

Part of the contract renewal 3 years ago included Stop and Shop creating hundreds of new full time positions at all their stores. They did that at the store my buddy and I worked at. He went from Part-time Front End Supervisor to Full time and got a raise. However since the store under performs they eliminated all the new full time positions at that store, so my buddy went back to Part time Front End Supervisor and got a pay cut. He later took a Part time position in the Produce Department, which guaranteed him 30 hours a week and a raise in pay.

retailisking

This strike could last quite a while, if not as long as the ruinous Southern California strike. It is becoming a cause celebre in the presidential election, which could make a quick resolution difficult if not impossible. One analyst says they may lose as much as $20 million a week. A retired professor was quoted on one Connecticut TV station as saying the strike could last two weeks or more. Stay tuned...

TheFugitive

Quote from: retailisking on April 18, 2019, 02:12:48 AM
It is becoming a cause celebre in the presidential election, which could make a quick resolution difficult if not impossible.

Doubtful.  Outside of New England not many people have a dog in this fight.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on April 18, 2019, 02:12:48 AM
This strike could last quite a while, if not as long as the ruinous Southern California strike. It is becoming a cause celebre in the presidential election, which could make a quick resolution difficult if not impossible. One analyst says they may lose as much as $20 million a week. A retired professor was quoted on one Connecticut TV station as saying the strike could last two weeks or more. Stay tuned...

Joe Biden is getting into the strikes, so it is true. I'm glad I don't have to pay union dues anymore, since they are useless. They aren't for the workers, but political elites and themselves.

M.R.CALDOR

The store I'm more concerned about this affecting is the S&S in Cromwell. With the brand new Shop Rite (on the old KMart site) opening up within less than two weeks, I'm afraid more business will go to them. The Cromwell store is already suffering. They were one of the recent remodels (new signs, Marty and such) and when I went in there a week or so ago with my mother, there was barely anybody in store. Most of the product were still on pallet boards and it was a regular ghost-town save for a few customers and employees (I counted two). It felt like that movie, Night Of The Comet. All the customers had to use the self checkout as there were no registers open. I felt uncomfortable going past the picket line and going in there as I felt like a horrible person just for doing some basic shopping. That is never a good feeling to have. I am also concerned about the perishable food that has not and probably will not sell. I hate wasting food, as I have been hungry before, and the thought of all that meat and produce going bad just sickens me. My mom went to Price Chopper in M-Town today and she said it was the most packed she'd ever seen it. With so many stores going down the tubes lately, I do hope S&S can stay afloat as it is a good chain. And for me, is the only surviving remnant of one of my most beloved stores of all time, Bradlees. 

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 19, 2019, 05:41:13 AM
I'm glad I don't have to pay union dues anymore, since they are useless.

I too am glad I no longer pay union dues. I work at BJ's Wholesale Club. BJ's has no union, just like the company that founded them ZAYRE. When I was working for Stop and Shop - the one one Pine Street in Forestville (Bristol) the Union Steward was completely useless. She DID NOT represent us very well at all. Each time I needed help with something I had to go over her head to the next person up the "food chain" in the Union. - The Union Rep. The shop steward at Pine Street is an old battle axe named Marilyn who has worked for Stop and Shop for something like 30 years and she has gone back and fourth between Pine Street Bristol and the Route 6 store in Bristol.

Out of everyone I knew during my time working at Stop and Shop I only have 2 friends left. So I feel sorry for both of them dealing with this strike bull crap. One is still Part time and works on Pine Street. The other was recently promoted to Full time and got a transfer to the Berlin. 9 effing days and counting. I've talked to both of them. (One I messaged on Facebook. The other I texted). Like most good workers they'd rather be working than walking a picket line.

My family (which is just my Mom and myself) miss shopping at Stop and Shop. I did some shopping at the Southington ShopRite on Sunday. Despite going really early it was very busy and hard navigating the cart through the crowds. It's been super packed all week long too - between the 2 holidays  - Passover and Easter and the strike at Stop and Shop. My Mom really hasn't been keen on shopping at the Southington ShopRite since her brother passed away there in October 2017. (Even though they were estranged).

giantsfan2016

The Stop and Shop Strike is over after a tentative agreement has been made with the union. Union members still have to ratify the new contract.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Stop--Shop-Officials-Announce-Tentative-Agreement-With-Unions-508876881.html

TheFugitive

As someone on the ground there in New England, Brammy, what do you think
the odds are that this will be ratified?

I had seen unions in this situation vote the contract down many times while
living in Michigan.  Perhaps Connecticut is different.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: TheFugitive on April 22, 2019, 09:36:05 AM
As someone on the ground there in New England, Brammy, what do you think
the odds are that this will be ratified?

I believe it will get ratified. The different media outlets have talked to many employees who said they will vote for it.