Office Depot. Central US

Started by NJxxJon, December 10, 2008, 11:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

JN

greg8370

I heard on the news that Stratford and Newington in CT were on the closing list.

store215

A bunch of "newer" stores in the Philly area are closing (former Kids 'r Us stores). I'm not shocked because on several visits, I would be the only customer in the store, and all the closing stores are surrounded by Staples, Office Max, or both.

AmesNewington

It's shameful. I liked the store in Newington. I was actually shocked that they re-opened in town last year after they closed their larger store where Best Buy is now. I guess they couldn't find their market share in Newington. We do have Staples down the road, so I'm sure that was a reason to close. There are still two Office Depot stores in West Hartford and Wethersfield. However, we loved having it in Newington. It was a neat clean store and once you walked in the store someone always came to help you. I must say though that it was always dead in the store. As another poster also said, I was the only one in the store with my dad at times.

I hate to see a vacancy in the Shaw's plaza. Hopefully Shaw's itself doesn't close either. I was down at Shaw's on Monday and the Green Tea Bistro restaurant in front of the plaza closed. The windows looked a bit different, so maybe something else is moving in.

Staples is OK, but it is located next to Wal Mart so it's always hard to get to and customer service isn't as friendly. Oh well.

videogamer75

Here's the Office Depot in Mays Landing, NJ that began its going out of business sale. It's a former Kids R Us.

videogamer75

TRU7536

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
It's shameful. I liked the store in Newington. I was actually shocked that they re-opened in town last year after they closed their larger store where Best Buy is now. I guess they couldn't find their market share in Newington. We do have Staples down the road, so I'm sure that was a reason to close. There are still two Office Depot stores in West Hartford and Wethersfield. However, we loved having it in Newington. It was a neat clean store and once you walked in the store someone always came to help you. I must say though that it was always dead in the store. As another poster also said, I was the only one in the store with my dad at times.

I hate to see a vacancy in the Shaw's plaza. Hopefully Shaw's itself doesn't close either. I was down at Shaw's on Monday and the Green Tea Bistro restaurant in front of the plaza closed. The windows looked a bit different, so maybe something else is moving in.

Staples is OK, but it is located next to Wal Mart so it's always hard to get to and customer service isn't as friendly. Oh well.

Yeah, second time Office Depot will leave Newington. First time is when they entered the New England market and they pulled out.I have a feeling in 2009, they will do what Office Maxx did and pull out of Northern Connecticut. Staples and Walmart has them beat. With that other article about so many more stores closing, I can see this happening to Office Depot. As for the old Unos/Chinesse place, every day I see cars their and I just drove by and two cars were their with lights on. I think someone owns it now and are remodeling. Probaly going to be a family owned thing.

TRU7536

The former Unos/Green Tea is getting a new owner. I seen everyday cars infront of it and yesturday i saw a sign for them trying to get their liquor permit. I bet it will be family own business, which alot of people tend to like better.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536

The former Unos/Green Tea is getting a new owner. I seen everyday cars infront of it and yesturday i saw a sign for them trying to get their liquor permit. I bet it will be family own business, which alot of people tend to like better.

That's nice to hear about the restaurant. I also hope that once Office Depot moves out, the spot is replaced with something that can do well. This time, it definently won't be another office store.

Marc82

The new Restaurant will be Joey Garlic's Pizza. This will be there 3rd location. They started in Avon. Opened a second location in Farmington in 07 and now will have the Newington location. I hear they do awesome business in Farmington where there is always I line waiting to get into the parking lot and the restaurant itself.

momof3

I have been to the Farmington Joey garlics several times and it is awesome.  The eggplant fries are to die for.....It will be great to have one in newington.....

AmesNewington

That's nice to know. I hope it will be as successful as Farmington. I'd love to try the restaurant some time.

videogamer75

Back on topic - Has Office Depot released their list of closures yet? I already know Mays Landing, NJ is closing of course, I went there and took pics.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Back on topic - Has Office Depot released their list of closures yet? I already know Mays Landing, NJ is closing of course, I went there and took pics.

I wonder if the one in Bellmawr is closing.