Main Menu

Unidentified store

Started by Jag67, May 05, 2005, 07:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmn3

Haha...glad to help out.  But I have to say, I am perplexed as to what was in that Clarence Mall building.  I'm a southtowner, so while I do have a knowledge of what goes on up north, I don't seem to remember much ever going on at the Clarence Mall during my twenty four years!  

And by the way, thanks for all the great pics you are posting of the stores around town.  Have you got anymore of the downtown stores??  Aside from AM&A's, there are a ton of old stores still sitting down there waiting for their pics to be taken!  Woolworth's, Kleinhans, Hengerer's/Sibley's, Hens & Kelly's, LL Berger's, and a lot more that I can't think of right now.  Plus, we still have the old Sears store on Main and Jefferson.  It's now the home of BlueCross BlueShield (for a few years anyway until they move back downtown).  And we can't forget the free-standing Hengerer's/Sibley's on Main and Eggert in Eggertsville.  That's now an office building but the building itself is still intact.

Jag67

I know, I've been thinking about pics of those places for a while. I'll get some eventually. BTW, you know the Old Big Lots in Colvin Plaza in Tonawanda? That was a very old and outdated and very dirty and very scary store when it closed. It had the old ugly Big Lots logo too (The cooper-style one). Do you know when that was built, or any info? here's a pic of it today-

jmn3

That plaza, Colvin-Eggert, was built in the 60's.  Not too sure of all of it's history, but back when I was a youngster, the Big Lots building used to be a Super Duper.  It never made it to Jubilee, I think the store closed around '91 or '92.

Jag67

so you're saying the big lots is only around 13-14 years old??!!! By the looks of it, I thought it was from the 70's!!! Man, it loooks pretty beat up for it's age (Well, not really. There's a BL that just opened near us last year that's already starting to look like a craphole) I don't think they renovated the insides much!!

truviking05

What is a Cooper-style Big Lots sign?

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
What is a Cooper-style Big Lots sign?

I was going to ask the same question

I think he means this sign the old big lots sign before they went "big orange exclamation point":insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

heres big lots current logo

I don't like it it makes the store look even cheaper!:barf:

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
so you're saying the big lots is only around 13-14 years old??!!! By the looks of it, I thought it was from the 70's!!! Man, it loooks pretty beat up for it's age (Well, not really. There's a BL that just opened near us last year that's already starting to look like a craphole) I don't think they renovated the insides much!!

Well the building itself is a lot older, but Big Lots was probably only there about 10 years.  I don't remember any Big Lots in WNY before the early 90's.  I think the chain itself, along with some of the shoppers it attracts, are reasons why even their newest stores look like a craphole!!

Have you seen the one in Dunkirk?  It's at the D&F Plaza and used to be a local store out that way...i think Sidey's.  Well, anyway, that store is such a junked up place.  It's been there about 10-13 years I would say and just looks beaten.  Then you take a store like Bon-Ton or Kaufmann's at Walden Galleria, after 15 years, still look pretty good.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Heres what the interior looks like  or supposed to look like :boring:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

heres a different exterior I like this one better

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

WHOOPS THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR BIG LOTS DOH!!!!!:duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

I'LL GET THE EXCESS POSTS OF BIG LOTS OFF AND INTO THE RIGHT THREAD AS SOON AS I CAN!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
WHOOPS THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR BIG LOTS DOH!!!!!:duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

I'LL GET THE EXCESS POSTS OF BIG LOTS OFF AND INTO THE RIGHT THREAD AS SOON AS I CAN!

I got rid of the excess big lots stuff sorry if I got off topic

BTW leave the current posts with pictures

they are relevent in showing that Big Lots has different logos and different exterior types

I'M NOT SAYING THEY'RE UNIQUE THOUGH! :bouncing:

BTW for that unidentified store?

I still think its a Woolco:bouncing::dizzy:

Jag67

Originally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
QuoteWHOOPS THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR BIG LOTS DOH!!!!!

opps sorry lol

Hey btw, I guess it's not really cooper-style but it is kinda. It looks kinda like that red one only the letters were orange and bigger and more spaced apart.I still can't get over it's been there such a short period, I thought it was there 20+ years!!

Anyway, getting back on topic, the mystery store has these little "Privacy-style" sindows on the side of the store..Maybe a clue of what it was? The windows all have this gross white stuff on them.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Originally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
QuoteWHOOPS THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR BIG LOTS DOH!!!!!

opps sorry lol

Hey btw, I guess it's not really cooper-style but it is kinda. It looks kinda like that red one only the letters were orange and bigger and more spaced apart.I still can't get over it's been there such a short period, I thought it was there 20+ years!!

Anyway, getting back on topic, the mystery store has these little "Privacy-style" sindows on the side of the store..Maybe a clue of what it was? The windows all have this gross white stuff on them.

the Big lots sign your talking about this right?:);)

Four4Rock

d00dz, this thread started by asking about the (former) Hills/Ames facility at Main & Transit in Clarence, NY.  Welp, I worked for a while at the store when it was Hill's (#97, I think).  The building was originally a Grant's department store.  Subsequent to that it was a Naum's catalog-type store.  Then Hill's... then Ames.  The footprint is 80,000 square feet.

Zayre88

What's your guess on that unidentified store ?

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

Maybe it was a Phar-Mor  or some kind of grocery store? Where is this building located and about how big it it?

Caldor1999

one word thats a Ames it was a former Zayer i think:)
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Looks like Ames. I think i can make out an ames label scar.

Four4Rock

Oh.  Wait a minute.  You were asking about the pad NEXT to (just to the south?) the former Grants/Naums/Hills/Ames.  OK.  Yeah, that was (I believe) a Park Edge Super Market... later Bells.  There was - as I recall a CVS Pharmacy tucked inbetween HIlls & the grocery store.  After CVS closed it was - for a while - Johnny's Old Tyme Pizza (which failed miserably).  Of course, you know that Brennan's has been there for a gazillion years.  Child World was just to the north - between Hills & Eastern Hills Mall's outer loop road.

You might also recall that the Clarence Mall Hills is the one at which the HVAC unit came crashing through the roof on a Sunday afternoon and landed squarely along the cash register lanes.  Also, Hill's used to put on fireworks displays from their stores on independence day.  Folks used to have to be stationed on the roofs of the store (and Child World & I think even Eastern Hills Mall) with fire extinguishers... just in case.

That plaza has always been underutilized.  Assuming Benderson still owns it, it seems like some additional outparcel usage would be in order, y'know?  What a waste of prime space.

d_fife

that was the ames in Dover.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

that was the ames in Dover.

Yes, it was an easy one !!   Notice the dark doors found on recent former Zayre stores.

thedisneystore967

:warning:i hate to spoil it for everybody, but that was an ames..... it says so on Retailers From Woolworth To Walmart....

Caldor1999

this store hear is a CALDOR:o now i was shcoked to find this out cause it dosent look a thing like a caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory