Laws about Store Signage

Started by D_mancurrier, July 31, 2006, 11:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_mancurrier

I noticed that when a store closes, the sign comes off (as the case with my mom's Jo-Ann's sign). However when a retailer goes out of business (like ames or frank's) the signs remain.

So is there a law that governs this or is it the retailer/landlords decision?

tokensafari

It is usually up to the retailer itself. They will cover up a logo or have it removed for various reasons. Landlords don't really care, unless they are remodeling the property or make it appealing to possible tenants.

powersbt

I would say that one of the main differences is when a Store closes, it leaves a Sour Taste in that Neighborhood. The retailer may go ahead and pull the sign, to get rid of the obvious store that was there. Plus, they do not want people showing up to a store that is closed due to complaints and the "I will never shop at so and so anymore" issues that arise. Whereas if the Retailer GOB completely, the damage is done. Plus, they have more important things on their minds then pulling signs off of their Establishments.

QuoteOriginally posted by D_mancurrier
I noticed that when a store closes, the sign comes off (as the case with my mom's Jo-Ann's sign). However when a retailer goes out of business (like ames or frank's) the signs remain.

So is there a law that governs this or is it the retailer/landlords decision?

d_fife

some zoning ordinaces only allow some signs. some are afraid it will rust and fall on things.

vermont has a big law on huge signs.