Main Menu

KB Toys

Started by C. Fontaine, January 12, 2005, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Here's the KB Toys at Westfield Connecticut Post. It's a brand new one, built in 2006. I never imagined KB Toys would be building new stores in the midst of all their struggling ones. Oh so colorful... kind of reminds me of the late Kids R Us.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

david121

I swore I saw some video games in the one in Watertown, NY recently. I remember when they where clearing them out a few years ago...

They've gone down hill, yes... but they charged a LOT more than every other store. So I can't feel too bad for them.

C. Fontaine

I remember seeing video games in the one in Auburn, MA, which no longer exists.  I agree, everything there was marked way up.  I used to shop for a lot of younger cousins and most of the stuff you could get for less even at the Toys r Us across the street, which is pretty bad because I was never too impressed with their prices either.

david121

I don't buy current gen video games... the latest system I own is a Xbox, and I buy more retro games (Sega mainly) so I have to do a lot of online shopping. Shipping kills me...

d_fife

I looked on the store locator and it shows (As many states as I looked and many) Toy works is not there and they must have CLOSED THAT WHOLE BRANCH (TOY WORKS) And CT ones closing is Enfield (KB toys) and Toy works: stratford, Torrington, Newtown and Plainville. KEene and EVEN PITTSFIELD ARE CLOSING TOO!!!!

only 400 KB toys will be left.

AmesNewington

I'm shocked but not surprised "Toy Works" is finally closing. I got so many of my toys there and it was very memorable for me.

You could tell even as far back as 2002 that something was wrong. The Newington store was never fully stocked in front especially, and then that location closed in 2004.

When I visited Plainville about 3 years ago, they were fairly well stocked, however, with the size of the store, I knew it wouldn't last because of the over abundance of choices these days, and not enough room to stock everything. They were also a biy expensive.

It's a good thing I found this out, because my mom wanted to go to the Plainville store to buy toys for kids she knows. It looks like all the Toy Works stores are already closed. Am I right?

XISMZERO

Here's the KEENE, N.H. store, taken this past Saturday.

I guess it's closing, you can see "end of the world" sale signs. Daylight savings and all, I made it here kind of late...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The KEENE, N.H. store has an older generation logo on the building side. Again, made it here a tad too late (or early to light up for night).

We all saw this coming. I'm only surprised the chain lasted this long because when they stopped selling video games, stores were very scant looking and I knew the end was near. It's sad, I have very fond memories of KB and Toys "R" Us but that died when KB lost just about everything I knew growing up.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
I looked on the store locator and it shows (As many states as I looked and many) Toy works is not there and they must have CLOSED THAT WHOLE BRANCH (TOY WORKS) And CT ones closing is Enfield (KB toys) and Toy works: stratford, Torrington, Newtown and Plainville. KEene and EVEN PITTSFIELD ARE CLOSING TOO!!!!

only 400 KB toys will be left.

They put All the Toy works back in the store locator and are not liquidating their whole Toy Works branch. I dont know why Toy works vanished from the store locator list, and then reappeared. just all the Toy works in NH And CT will be gone. Why Torrington? for closing? and keene?

XISMZERO

Wrote up a story about it last week: http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/11/k-b-toys-2-b-closing-156-stores.html

I went by the Waterbury (Brass Mill Center) store today. As usual, dead, dead, dead but stocked beyond a kid's wildest dreams. Saw the Enfield store over the weekend and it's definitely in the process of closing. Enfield will be the only mall-side closure while the rest, in plazas, are closing up.

The current headline about Toys "R" Us is in your honor, Dan.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Crawford

The final stores in Rhode Island (Providence Place Mall and in the Narraganset Plaza in Rumford) are closing. This state will not have a single K B left. We'll either have to go up to Taunton Mass or into Wrentham Mass. Looks like Toys R Us will have a monopoly. I'll miss Toy Works, yeah they were overpriced but it is just sad to see another chain close up.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

GothicPrincess

So far, our K & B store is just fine. Thanksgiving advertisement came out, with TONS of stuff in it, including GameBoy Advance games, and all the latest toys. No danger of closing here, either that, or looks can be deceiving. They're doing just fine. Even with Toys R Us across the highway, I don't see this store closing any time soon. Oh, this is Westmoreland Mall in Greensburg, PA.
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

d_fife

KB toys in West Paterson NJ (near Totowa) and 1-2 miles from WIllowbrook mall (That KB is closing too)

dmx10101

When I was visiting Jacksonville for Christmas I went to the KB thats closing in the mall there. Everything was 40-60% off and fixtures were for sale There was alot still left. I had forgot that the KB's sign still says "Kay Bee Toys" , it was never updated to the newer KB Toys sign. I wish I would have got a picture.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

Here's a shot of a guy holding a sign for the closing sale of the Plymouth, MA KB Toys.

XISMZERO

K-B Toys at EMERALD SQUARE (Mall); NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA. Taken on 1-8-08 (from second level).

This one isn't closing (yet), it would seem. Notice how it has the "toy soldier", tagging it to leftovers from the early 90s.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

K-B Toy Works; PLAINVILLE, CONN. Taken today (1-9-08).

Store will be closing, probably in the next week(s). It's a relatively new store that opened with the plaza in the late 90's
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

K-B Toy Works; PLAINVILLE, CONN. Taken today (1-9-08).

The sign.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

KB Toys Jacksonville, FL taken 1/9/08
As you can see it still has the old "Kay-Bee Toys" logo.

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XISMZERO

ENFIELD SQUARE / MALL; ENFIELD, CT. Taken 12-28-2007.

Store's closing soon. This is somewhat odd since most mall stores were kept open in this state.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

videogamer75

The KB Toy Works in Turnersville, NJ closed around 2005-2006. I guess the fact that it was right next to a Wal-Mart Supercenter didn't help too much. The first time I went in the place was kinda dirty.

MikeRa

In the Philadelphia area, we have 1 KB Toy Works store, located at South 69th Street & Ludlow Street, in what used to be the Upper Darby branch store for Lit Brothers.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

CTAmeshopper

Ours is gone it still sits empty, no word on the replacement.

dmx10101

They renamed their outlet store in St Augustine, FL to KB Toys, It had always been named Toy Liquidators.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

FearlessSwan

Port Chester, NY

Norwalk, CT

Neither of these locations is in the store locator on their site, so I assume both are gone.

I've been in the Norwalk one before. It was cramped, cluttered and tiny, but always seemed to have a more unique selection than other area locations.

The Port Chester one, I never even knew existed, but apparently was in the same shopping center right off the highway just as you crossed over the NY/CT border that once contained a Caldor and Pergament.

Mobil

The KB Toys at Woodlands Mall in The Woodlands, Texas opened in 1994 and had the "Kay Bee Toys" name. There was a short-lived KB Toy Works in Broomall, PA, and another one in East Norriton, PA.

And a little information about the company: KB was owned by Melville Corporation. KB was sold to Consolidated Stores, owner of Big Lots, when Melville was dissolved. Their website used to be called "KBkids.com". They later bought eToys after it went bankrupt.

wwefan101

i miss the one in aburn ma i used togo ther a lot

dmx10101

KB to open 30 new stores

PITTSFIELD , Mass. (Oct. 14) KB Toys announced the opening of thirty new stores to open for the holiday shopping season.KB Toys announced the opening of 30 new stores to open for the holiday shopping season.

The stores will be located in leading malls and shopping centers from New York to California, plus Puerto Rico. "These new locations, not only make shopping for affordable toys more convenient, but also bring new jobs to the area", said Andy Bailen, ceo of KB Toys; "the stores will be filled with all the best toys, including video games and family DVD movies from our popular Super Value program."
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

Closed KB Toy Works in the Cross Keys Plaza in Turnersville, NJ. Soon to become a Retro Fitness center.