COVID 19

Started by Brammy, March 13, 2020, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shore72

All malls in MD are now closed. Ollie's has cut hours and the first hour of the day is reserved for seniors or those with compromised immune systems. Harbor Freight says they'll stay open as an essential business (if it comes to that) as utilities/municipalities depend on them. The governor is allowing liquor stores and bars to deliver alcohol, subject to county liquor laws, and suspended weight limits on trucks to facilitate the quick movement of freight. Staples is requiring employees to wash their hands every 30 minutes. FedEx is not requiring signature for deliveries. Walgreens will let you buy anything in the store via the drive thru. One of our local independent pharmacies is now drive thru only.

Little Caesars picked a good time to start offering delivery!

Brammy

Kohl's closed all their stores nationwide as of 7PM local time on Thursday.

TJX (TJ MAXX, Winners, Home Goods, Home Sense, Sierra, Marshall's, TK Maxx) has closed all their stores globally.

Noodles World Kitchen/Noodles and Company has closed all their dining rooms nationwide, switching to curbside pick up. They now close at 8PM.
The Real Brammy

Solaris

Kroger's and Publix's near me are getting absolutely destroyed by Panicking people when they really shouldn't... When will the supply finally catch up with the demand...?

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: GameShibe on March 20, 2020, 12:25:13 PM
Kroger's and Publix's near me are getting absolutely destroyed by Panicking people when they really shouldn't... When will the supply finally catch up with the demand...?

To be fair all of the Supermarket chains along with with Walmart, Target, Dollar General and Family Dollar have seen certain areas of their stores being cleaned out as a result of the Panic Buying.

Brammy

On Wednesday my local Walmart in Southington, CT was out of eggs and of course TP and paper towels and sanitizer. They had limited supplies of cleaning supplies and laundry detergent.

Plenty of eggs today at the Stop and Shop I shop at in Forestville, CT and they had a large selection of fresh meats in the Meat department today than they did on Wednesday. Eggs are limited to two cartons. Today they had no TP (of course) or paper towels. My Mom managed to get a roll of paper towes on Wednesday.

On Wednesday my Mom managed to get to rolls of TP at ShopRite in Southington. They had 4 rolls left. She got 2. There was a 2 roll limit. A neighbor tipped her to the TP there.

A former co-worker of mine at BJ's where I used to work tipped everyone on Facebook that this morning that they had 3 pallets of TP prior to the store opening.  That's probably gone.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Connecticut is going into lockdown as of 8PM Monday. All non-essential businesses have to close. Essential businesses that are allowed to remain open include: grocery stores (including Walmart, Target, and probably Dollar Tree and Dollar General, Job Lot, Big Lots, etc), Gas Stations, Doctor's offices, pharmacies, restaurants (take-out and delivery only), and financial institutions.
The Real Brammy

scottw73

Unfortunately for me, the lockdown doesn’t apply. I’m a pharmacy technician so I’m considered essential personnel so I have to go to work.

Brammy

Burlington (formerly Burlington Coat Factory) - All stores closing at the end of business Sunday 3/22.

Dick's Sporting Goods (including their Golf stores) - All locations closed as of the end of the business Day Wednesday 3/18.

Goodwill Northern and Western Connecticut - All locations closed.

Goodwill Southern New England - All locations closed.

Connecticut Mattress - All locations closed as of 3PM Friday 3/20.

Pilgrim Furniture and Mattress City - All locations closed as of 6PM Monday 3/23. (Deadline to closed is 8PM Monday)

Town Fair Tire - Operating on a reduced number of hours.

Joann's - Operating on a reduced number of hours. (Connecticut stores will be closed as of 6PM Monday)

Petco - Operating on a reduced number of hours. (I believe pet stores are consider "essential" so they won't have to close).

Uptown Consignment - All locations closed as of 5PM Friday 3/20.

Consignment Originals  - All locations closed as of Friday 3/13.

Guitar Center - Stores Still open regular hours. All lessons moved to  online only. (Connecticut locations must be closed by 8PM Monday)

Hobby Lobby - All Stores open regular hours. (Connecticut locations must be closed by 8PM Monday)

Michael's - Regular Hours. In-Store Classes Cancelled. (Connecticut locations must be closed by 8PM Monday).
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: bjs203marc on March 22, 2020, 01:24:35 PM
Petco - Operating on a reduced number of hours. (I believe pet stores are consider "essential" so they won't have to close).

Makes perfect sense, as animals have to eat just as people do, and there are many brands sold in these pet stores that can't be gotten in your standard markets (also it's always advised not to change foods too rapidly).

Same would go for places like a Tractor Supply with the farm type animal feeds they carry.

Brammy

Old Navy  - All stores closed

At Home - All stores closed

DSW - All stores closed

Party City - All Stores Closed

Bath and Body Works - All Stores closed

Victoria's Secret - All Stores Closed

Famous Footwear - All Stores Closed

Lindt Chocolate - All Stores Closed

Godiva Chocolate - All Stores Closed

Tractor Supply - Reduced Hours 8AM-6PM Monday-Saturday and 9AM-6PM Sundays (Sundays vary by location)

Shaw's Supermarkets - Some locations may have adjusted hours. - 7AM-9AM Tuesdays and Thursdays are for Senior Citizens. All sales final. No Rainchecks.

ACME Supermarkets - Senior Shopping 7AM-9AM Monday-Friday. All sales final. No rainchecks.

Savers/Value Village - All stores closed.

BJ's Wholesale Club - Senior Shopping Hours 8AM-9AM effective 3/22.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

All stores from The Beyond Company are closed March 23rd-April 3rd.

Bed Bath Beyond

Christmas Tree Shop and That

Buy Buy Baby

World Market

Harmon's

Connecticut update as of 5:30PM 3/23.

415 people have COVID-19.
10 Deaths.
Schools will remain closed til 4/20. 4/20 of course is National Marijuana Day, so let's just say Schools will be closed til 4/21.  :-P
The Real Brammy

deerwrecker2017

Around here in PA the number of cases are higher with the number being currently at 644 but only 6 Deaths.

The Governor has issued Stay at Home orders for Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Monroe, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties which are now in effect since 8:00 PM on March 23 and will be in effect until April 6.

The Schools statewide will remain closed until at least April 6.

One of the Distilleries in the area that I know of (Country Hammer Moonshine) is now producing and selling Hand Sanitizer (The Liquor Control Board has authorized all Distilleries and Limited Distilleries in the state to produce Hand Sanitizer through June 30).

Giant Eagle is now installing Plexiglass Dividers (In the Checkout and Customer Service areas) in its stores, Has asked customers to refrain from bringing in reusable bags and is now installing both floor indicators and signs at checkout lanes that indicate the appropriate social distancing.

One local bakery in the area (Oakmont Bakery) decided to hand out thousands of Sandwiches to those in need. And this is one of many local News Reports that I saw about people out there helping out those in need due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Brammy

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on March 24, 2020, 02:41:26 AM
The Governor of Connecticut changed it from April 20th to September. - A little more than 5 more months.

QuoteOne of the Distilleries in the area that I know of (Country Hammer Moonshine) is now producing and selling Hand Sanitizer (The Liquor Control Board has authorized all Distilleries and Limited Distilleries in the state to produce Hand Sanitizer through June 30).
Several breweries in Connecticut are doing that too.

QuoteGiant Eagle is now installing Plexiglass Dividers (In the Checkout and Customer Service areas) in its stores, Has asked customers to refrain from bringing in reusable bags and is now installing both floor indicators and signs at checkout lanes that indicate the appropriate social distancing.

Stop and Shop has done this, but not the part about not allowing reusable bags because plastic bags are illegal in Connecticut.
The Real Brammy

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: bjs203marc on March 24, 2020, 03:02:57 PM
The Governor of Connecticut changed it from April 20th to September. - A little more than 5 more months.

Here in PA the school closures have not been extended that long (Although that can change depending on the situation).

I personally think that the powers that be in Harrisburg which includes the Governor would only extend the length of the school closures if the situation does warrant it.

Several breweries in Connecticut are doing that too.

I have heard of more distilleries around here producing Hand Sanitizer as well (One of them is producing Hand Sanitizer for Law Enforcement and Medical personnel).

Everything Community

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on March 24, 2020, 02:41:26 AM

It's still not definite but some schools here are still aiming for April 20th. He could still push us beyond that scheduled date if he thinks
he could keep those kids safe during this time of the year. I wouldn't mind but I would probably maintain the scheduling he did Monday night.

Anyone in the state agree about this situation?

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: Everything Community on March 25, 2020, 12:06:35 AM
It's still not definite but some schools here are still aiming for April 20th. He could still push us beyond that scheduled date if he thinks
he could keep those kids safe during this time of the year. I wouldn't mind but I would probably maintain the scheduling he did Monday night.

Anyone in the state agree about this situation?

Although I don't live in Connecticut and have no intention to do so I do think that the Governor of that state should not be too quick to end the school year now and extensions of any school closure orders should not be extended by more than 1 week at a time depending on how the situation at hand currently is.

BillyGr

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on March 25, 2020, 12:19:09 AM
Although I don't live in Connecticut and have no intention to do so I do think that the Governor of that state should not be too quick to end the school year now and extensions of any school closure orders should not be extended by more than 1 week at a time depending on how the situation at hand currently is.

Really this should apply to everything.  With the situation being as unknown as it is at the current time, it seems quite silly to start postponing things that are normally set to occur a couple months (or more) from now. 
When they get closer, if it is needed to make changes that would certainly be sensible, but somehow you can see a bunch of stuff getting changed and then finding out there is no real reason for it when their original planned times come around.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: BillyGr on March 25, 2020, 03:15:42 PM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on March 25, 2020, 12:19:09 AM

Really this should apply to everything.  With the situation being as unknown as it is at the current time, it seems quite silly to start postponing things that are normally set to occur a couple months (or more) from now. 
When they get closer, if it is needed to make changes that would certainly be sensible, but somehow you can see a bunch of stuff getting changed and then finding out there is no real reason for it when their original planned times come around.

The way that I see it if any State Governor decides to keep the schools in his or her respective state closed for the rest of the school year (Effectively declaring the current school year over) but the spread of COVID-19 completely subsides by the end of April then any decision to extend the school closures for the rest of the school year would be considered completely foolish and unjustified.

The best way to extend any length of school closures is to only extend them one week at a time in the event that the spread of COVID-19 (As well as any new Viruses that can and will emerge at any time in the future) is still at a rate that is considered by the CDC and all of the respective Health Departments too unsafe.

Brammy

Stop and Shop is in the process of shutting down the deli department in all their stores. Any other stores doing this?
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: bjs203marc on March 27, 2020, 02:28:23 PM
Stop and Shop is in the process of shutting down the deli department in all their stores. Any other stores doing this?

Hannaford did that earlier in the week - the cold cuts are still available, they just pre-slice and pack them and put them out on the shelf (which they always do anyway, just took over a shelf that used to have things like cole slaw and macaroni salad and moved those elsewhere to allow for a much larger quantity and variety of ready to take sliced meats and cheeses).

Brammy

My Mom and I went to BJ's Wholesale during the Senior Shopping hour this morning. Including self-checkout they had 6 or 8 registers open, but they made you stand in a long line - not six feet apart and then one of the Front End Supervisors would bring members to the registers one at a time. :mad: My Mom and I walked out.

Also we went to do our big shopping at Stop and Shop in Forestville. We got there at around 9:25AM and right when you walk in they had a display of about 40 12 packs of Scott Toilet Paper. By time we left around 10:15 they were all gone.  :o We got ours, so now we have plenty.
The Real Brammy

AmesNewington

We have been utilizing ShopRite From Home in Southington for the past few weeks to avoid shopping inside the store. The first two times we went to pick up our order, the store itself was doing brisk business. Not crowded and not empty. Just enough customers to avoid bumping in to one another. It's a pain as far as the ordering is concerned. We end up with 60-75% of our items as they are out of a lot of things understandably. They won't substitute items but last order, they did offer us the code to text for updates on orders, so I assume they will tell you what they don't have and offer you another brand even if its more expensive. We are going tomorrow evening for an order. We'll see what happens. We like how you go to the separate area and pay and go.

BillyGr

Quote from: bjs203marc on April 01, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
but they made you stand in a long line - not six feet apart and then one of the Front End Supervisors would bring members to the registers one at a time.

You mean you can actually get closer than 6 feet by the time you have that oversized shopping cart between each person (or two people in your case)?

Brammy

Quote from: BillyGr on April 01, 2020, 07:09:30 PM
but they made you stand in a long line - not six feet apart and then one of the Front End Supervisors would bring members to the registers one at a time.

You mean you can actually get closer than 6 feet by the time you have that oversized shopping cart between each person (or two people in your case)?

Believe it or not, quite a few people in this line did not have shopping carts. They only had one or two items.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Lake Compounce Amusement Park in Bristol/Southington, CT announced yesterday that they are delaying Opening Day. They don't know when that will be. Originally they were supposed to open May 2nd.

Six Flags New England in Agawam, Mass announced on Monday that they were delaying Opening Day until at least mid-May. They were supposed to open some time in April. (I doubt mid-May will happen either).
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: bjs203marc on April 01, 2020, 09:50:28 PM

Believe it or not, quite a few people in this line did not have shopping carts. They only had one or two items.

Makes sense - might just be the couple things they were in need of and figured they don't want to buy more if it's not necessary.  Though maybe for now requiring everyone to have a cart no matter how many items would be a help for the spacing issues.

scottw73

Quote from: BillyGr on April 02, 2020, 01:06:02 PM
Quote from: bjs203marc on April 01, 2020, 09:50:28 PM

Makes sense - might just be the couple things they were in need of and figured they don't want to buy more if it's not necessary.  Though maybe for now requiring everyone to have a cart no matter how many items would be a help for the spacing issues.

I had a similar experience in BJ’s earlier today, there wasn’t much people inside, and I only had to get 3 things. Once I saw the line for the registers, I left.  And no one was standing 6 feet from the person in front of them.

Brammy

Several employees of ShopRite of Milford, Connecticut tested positive for the virus.

Walmart will be taking the temperature of every employee before each shift as will BJ's.

LaBonne's Market a small family owned chain of grocery stores with 3 locations in Watertown, Woodbury, and Salisbury, CT will be taking the temperature of every customer before they're allowed into the store. The same with every employee.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Connecticut update.

Restaurants and bars will not reopen until May 20th at the earliest.
The Real Brammy

deerwrecker2017

Some updates in my area.

The Governor has issued an Executive Order to allow the Early Release as much as 1,800 Non-Violent Inmates from the State Prisons (To either Halfway Houses or Home Confinement) mainly consisting of Inmates that are within 9 Months of their Scheduled Release date (12 Months for Inmates who are considered to be at a heightened risk of contracting COVID-19).

The schools around here will be remaining closed until the fall.

Effective on Monday the Port Authority will be limiting the number of riders that will allowed to be on it's Buses and Light Rail Vehicles at any one time to no more than 10 riders for 35 Foot Buses, 15 riders for 40 Foot Buses and 25 riders for 60 Foot Buses and Light Rail Vehicles. This is in addition to all of the Public Transit services in the region that have already reduced their schedules even temporarily suspending some of their routes.

UPMC is implementing a new type of Clinical Trial (This platform is called REMAP-COVID) to fast track the Current Treatments that are currently being tested out in treating COVID-19 Patients and the platform relies on a type of Artificial Intelligence that is known as "Reinforcement learning to identify the best, evidence-backed therapy for COVID-19 much faster than using the traditional scientific approach.".

Giant Eagle is now limiting the number of customers allowed in the store at any given time when the store is open (50% of the occupancy allowed by the respective Fire Codes where the stores are located) which other retailers have already done as well.

The Fine Wine And Good Spirits website has on April 1 resumed operations on a limited scale allowing no more than 6 Bottles per order from a reduced catalog of about 1,000 best selling Wines and Distilled Spirits per customer per day with the amount of orders being limited as well (They are saying that the amount of orders can get increased as their order fulfillment capacity "Gradually ramps up").