Main Menu

Sears

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/29/sears-exit-from-eaton-centre-4-other-stores-raises-red-flags-about-its-future-in-canada/

QuoteSears’ exit from Eaton Centre, 4 other stores, raises red flags about its future in Canada

TORONTO • Sears Canada’s move to sell five plum urban locations back to its landlords for $400-million should ensure the retailer posts a profit this year, but it raises serious questions about the department store chain’s future in this country’s rapidly evolving retail landscape.

bubcolbert1952

I drove by the former Sears in Upper Darby, PA (which was originally a Gimbels built in the 1920s, that became a Sears in the 80's after Gimbels bankruptcy and closed in early 2012) and saw the front doors open with folding chairs everywhere the other day. Both Walmart and Giant have been rumored to be taking the site but most likely Sears Outlet is the new tenant. Seems like if either of them open at this site, the earlier former Sears down the street will be torn down for the other of the two.

Zayre88

A TV show in Canada is making fun at Sears Canada closing stores and how it's a very "modern" store:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyzxaRJIdyQ

Sad but so true!

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 05, 2013, 07:16:17 AM
As for Meijer, they would likely take most of the larger free-standing former Kmart, Super Kmart, and large single-story Sears locations and convert those to Meijer hypermarkets, unless they are structurally unsound, they would tear down and build new.

Well, what if there's already an existing Meijer store across from a Kmart supercenter, as is the case with my nearest location in Southgate, Michigan?

TRU7536

its the end or Sears, I give it another 5 years before GOB sales start for the whole company. They are crashing hard, even worse than Jcpennys.

All you hear are negative reports about them, empty and outdated stores. Walking into a Sears is like taking a time machine back to the past with cheesy ugly products.

ynkeesfn82

Still awaiting confirmation, but I heard the Sears Appliance and Hardware store in Bristol, CT is closing by the end of January.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 10, 2013, 07:27:18 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 05, 2013, 07:16:17 AM
As for Meijer, they would likely take most of the larger free-standing former Kmart, Super Kmart, and large single-story Sears locations and convert those to Meijer hypermarkets, unless they are structurally unsound, they would tear down and build new.

Well, what if there's already an existing Meijer store across from a Kmart supercenter, as is the case with my nearest location in Southgate, Michigan?
The Super K across the street could be torn down and replaced with a Shopko.

JimSawhill

If Sears ever go Out of Business, I hope someone with business sense (I would if I have the $$$) would open an 'old Sears', what I mean is a 'Sears that looks like it came from the 1970s (with a catalog operation, fashion, Sporting goods (including boats like they had back then) hardware and furniture). I hope Sears (and KMart) would be spun off and survive.

I doubt you'll see ShopKo in the northeast!

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 08, 2013, 06:38:08 PM
If Sears ever go Out of Business, I hope someone with business sense (I would if I have the $$$) would open an 'old Sears', what I mean is a 'Sears that looks like it came from the 1970s (with a catalog operation, fashion, Sporting goods (including boats like they had back then) hardware and furniture). I hope Sears (and KMart) would be spun off and survive.

I doubt you'll see ShopKo in the northeast!

Shopko has the business sense to open just about anywhere and the money to expand east, but right now they're busy expanding with their Hometown stores. They've expanded into the Pacific northwest from the 1970s to the 1990s, but that was when SuperValu owned them. Have you even been to a Shopko? Their stores are much nicer looking than a Sears or Kmart. Shopko has a pharmacy and optical center in each of their stores, all the latest fashions, a great selection of electronics, and toys.
Sears and Kmart on the other hand, are dying, their stores are falling apart, their CEO is too much of a dumbass to do anything fix Sears and Kmart, and now their stores are outdated, and are closing at an alarming pace. As somebody stated on this forum, "Stick a fork in Kmart and Sears, they're done!", I think we had enough of Sears and Kmart. Kmart, unlike Shopko, does not have small stores in small towns with populations of 3,000 to 8,000. Those stores are called Shopko Hometown, and most of them are former Pamida locations. If Kmart, Target, or Walmart want to be as successful as Shopko, why don't they try a smaller store for smaller communities. It would be profitable and save people on gas.

Kmart and Sears are NOT going to survive!

And...Have you ever been to a Shopko?

Next time you're in Wisconsin (or Nebraska), visit a Shopko, and see why they're successful here in the Midwest.

katnapped

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 08, 2013, 09:07:10 PM

Sears and Kmart on the other hand, are dying, their stores are falling apart, their CEO is too much of a dumbass to do anything fix Sears and Kmart

Nah...just milking it until the time is right to liquidate.  It's been apparent for years that he has NO plans (or intention) to get the company back on track.

Quote from: catnap72 on December 17, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

Sears and Kmart on the other hand, are dying, their stores are falling apart, their CEO is too much of a dumbass to do anything fix Sears and Kmart

Nah...just milking it until the time is right to liquidate.  It's been apparent for years that he has NO plans (or intention) to get the company back on track.

Sears and Kmart are both lost causes then...

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 17, 2013, 09:42:52 PM

how do kmart and sears get fixed?

Quote from: d_fife on December 17, 2013, 09:44:22 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 17, 2013, 09:42:52 PM

how do kmart and sears get fixed?

The answer is: They won't get fixed. They have tried to reinvent themselves too many times over the years with each reinvention ending up in failure. KMART AND SEARS ARE DONE.

bubcolbert1952

I don't get why the same people who think Sears stores sell nothing but junk don't feel the same way about Target, Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross Dress for Less, HomeGoods, etc. While I respect all those companies because all of them were part of my youth, to be honest I think the merchandise at all of them is mostly garbage. Years ago Target had garden centers in their stores which I really liked, but when Target got rid of them I stopped shopping at Target (not trying to boycott them or anything, but they don't sell anything else I want or need to use). Also I miss the ceiling fans they used to sell, which were high quality, but now Home Depot and Lowe's seem to be the only places to find nice ones.

When Target got rid of the garden centers I was thinking they would go out of business. Lots of Target stores seem old and tired (and many are in decaying urban areas), and the Greatland stores got rid of Taco Bell which I really liked the convenience of, so that also made it seem like the end was near for Target. The Targets here in GA have liquor at slim prices, which is the only draw to their stores for me anymore.

katnapped

Sears is apparently subdividing their King of Prussia (PA) store and eliminating most (if not all) softlines from the store (which will be cut down to one floor). 

Looking like the end is nearing....

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on December 08, 2013, 02:09:18 PM
Still awaiting confirmation, but I heard the Sears Appliance and Hardware store in Bristol, CT is closing by the end of January.

It's official. There is a sign in front of the plaza. Everything Must Go X% off. And all that good stuff there. Will the last business to leave that plaza please turn off the lights? When Sears is gone there will be an Aarons, a hair salon, a dentist office, a Chinese Restaurant, and a Big Lots that doesn't do any business. As I mentioned in the Joann's Thread, Joann's is moving from this plaza to Shoprite Plaza in Southington in February. Note: I'm not counting Wendy's or Webster Bank because those businesses don't need the plaza to be thriving to survive,

bubcolbert1952

I guess the new Target coming to King of Prussia is expected to really hurt the Sears, which hasn't been remodeled since 1995...

Ames Newington

Sears in West Hartford, CT at Corbin's Corner plans to subdivide it's store to Destination XL, which will take a part of the Sears space in 2014. I wonder if the entire Sears building will be re-done on the outside.

It's mentioned in this article:

http://www.courant.com/community/west-hartford/hc-west-hartford-development-1220-20131219,0,4121520.story

TRU7536

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on December 18, 2013, 11:56:13 PM
I don't get why the same people who think Sears stores sell nothing but junk don't feel the same way about Target, Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross Dress for Less, HomeGoods, etc. While I respect all those companies because all of them were part of my youth, to be honest I think the merchandise at all of them is mostly garbage. Years ago Target had garden centers in their stores which I really liked, but when Target got rid of them I stopped shopping at Target (not trying to boycott them or anything, but they don't sell anything else I want or need to use). Also I miss the ceiling fans they used to sell, which were high quality, but now Home Depot and Lowe's seem to be the only places to find nice ones.

When Target got rid of the garden centers I was thinking they would go out of business. Lots of Target stores seem old and tired (and many are in decaying urban areas), and the Greatland stores got rid of Taco Bell which I really liked the convenience of, so that also made it seem like the end was near for Target. The Targets here in GA have liquor at slim prices, which is the only draw to their stores for me anymore.

There is a huge difference between Target and Sears. Target attracts the young people, with its trendy things they offer (cloths, furniture, etc). People my age (I am 32) are always at Target. I like it because they have some really nice stuff for your house.

Sears on the other hand, isn't targeted to people my age, they are for the older generations. I walked into a sears store recently and the cloths they had looked like I traveled back to the early 1990s. Also their stores are so dark and gloomy and just outdated!

When you walk into Target, they are bright and flashy. Sears is just known as the grandparents store.

Zayre88

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 23, 2013, 10:37:39 PMThere is a huge difference between Target and Sears. Target attracts the young people, with its trendy things they offer (cloths, furniture, etc). People my age (I am 32) are always at Target. I like it because they have some really nice stuff for your house.

Sears on the other hand, isn't targeted to people my age, they are for the older generations. I walked into a sears store recently and the cloths they had looked like I traveled back to the early 1990s. Also their stores are so dark and gloomy and just outdated!

When you walk into Target, they are bright and flashy. Sears is just known as the grandparents store.

Agreed!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Ames Newington on December 23, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Sears in West Hartford, CT at Corbin's Corner plans to subdivide it's store to Destination XL, which will take a part of the Sears space in 2014. I wonder if the entire Sears building will be re-done on the outside.

http://www.courant.com/community/west-hartford/hc-west-hartford-development-1220-20131219,0,4121520.story

Amazing because Destination XL was in the plaza before when the chain was known as Casual Male XL.

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on December 25, 2013, 02:58:13 PM
Quote from: Ames Newington on December 23, 2013, 09:21:59 PM

Amazing because Destination XL was in the plaza before when the chain was known as Casual Male XL.

I was surprised the new company closed so many Casual Male locations and now will be opening new locations.

retailisking

For now the wolves are at bay, but a warning about the Lands' End spinoff has garnered some attention
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20131211/BLOGS10/131219955/sears-uses-the-i-word

Sears locations still open in my area:

Green Bay, Wisconsin (Green Bay Plaza)

Appleton, Wisconsin (Fox River Mall)

Manitowoc, Wisconsin (Lakeshore Mall [formerly Edgelake Plaza], Sears Home Appliance & Hardware store location)

Kiel, Wisconsin (Sears Hometown store)

Sheboygan, Wisconsin (Memorial Mall)

Oshkosh, Wisconsin (Sears Hometown store)

New London, Wisconsin

Wausau, Wisconsin (Wausau Center Mall)

Antigo, Wisconsin (Sears Home Services)

Antigo, Wisconsin (Sears Hometown store)

Marinette, Wisconsin (Sears Hometown store)

Marinette, Wisconsin (Sears Home Services, Pine Tree Mall)

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin (Forest Mall [the Forest Mall Sears location opened in 1996 after Prange Way Discount Stores closed their Forest Mall Prange Way location with the rest of the Prange Way stores following a bankruptcy in autumn of 1995.])

Waupaca, Wisconsin (Sears Home Services)

Shawano, Wisconsin (Sears Hometown store)

retailisking

It survived the Great Depression, but it couldn't survive Eddie Lampert. The Auto Center is closing, too, which is a bit surprising as they're trying to spin off their auto service business
http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Sears-ending-8-decade-run-in-c_1388896825