Rite Aid Liquidation

Started by giantsfan2016, March 31, 2018, 04:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

How many Rite Aids have started their Liquidation Sales? My Mom and I went to one at 167 Main Street in Southington, Connecticut. There wasn't much left and everything was 70% Off. Their pharmacy closed on March 21st. We got a few things. This liquidation must've started very quickly. We were just down that end of Southington two weeks ago and there wasn't a Liquidation Sale going on at that time. If you recall when the Rite Aid/Walgreen marriage was finalized I predicted this location would close.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on March 31, 2018, 04:20:41 PM
How many Rite Aids have started their Liquidation Sales? My Mom and I went to one at 167 Main Street in Southington, Connecticut. There wasn't much left and everything was 70% Off. Their pharmacy closed on March 21st. We got a few things. This liquidation must've started very quickly. We were just down that end of Southington two weeks ago and there wasn't a Liquidation Sale going on at that time. If you recall when the Rite Aid/Walgreen marriage was finalized I predicted this location would close.
Well, I can say that Canterbury is not liquidating. Just drove by today.
Also I was just across the street from that Rite Aid on February 24th.

RiteAid (Southington, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

AmesNewington

Where is a complete list of the stores being effected. I know that Newington, CT is supposed to become a Walgreens but so far no changes. Berlin, CT might be as well as I saw a sign on the window. Wishing they would just stay as Rite Aid.

Bdubs

The Colchester, ct Rite Aid is filling their prescriptions in Walgreens logo containers and packaging. Receipt at the bottom now says “This pharmacy is now a Walgreens!”
Nothing has changed within the store yet though, still all Rite Aid.

shore72

I didn't expect any effects in Delaware but yesterday I noticed the Rite Aid in downtown Milford is closing. I'd never noticed, until today, that they have a newer location out on the highway, within sight of a CVS & Walgreens. It kind of fades into all the other retail clutter to my eyes.

TheFugitive

There is a stretch of PA Route 88 south of Pittsburgh where there
are two Rite-Aids and a Walgreens all within a mile of each other.
I can't imagine that will continue, but so far no signs that any of them
are going out of business.

JoshAustin610

Rite Aid only sold two Pennsylvania stores to Walgreens, both in the northeast corner near the NJ and NY borders (Milford and Lords Valley); any closings in PA for either chain would just be a result of the leases not being renewed.

giantsfan2016

The building is up for sale. No price listed. 7,076 Square feet. 30 parking spaces. 

https://sullivanhayesne.com/properties/167-main-street/

Brammy's thought's: I think this building may stay empty a while. While Main Street is Route 10 the location is downtown and there's not much of anything around. Granted it's near the Post Office, town Hall, and the library, a couple other buildings on nearby Eden Avenue have been sitting empty for years. Maybe a new owner can convert it to office space.

standa

Quote from: Brammy on April 09, 2018, 07:03:13 AM

The building is up for sale. No price listed. 7,076 Square feet. 30 parking spaces.  

Brammy's thought's: I think this building may stay empty a while. While Main Street is Route 10 the location is downtown and there's not much of anything around. Granted it's near the Post Office, town Hall, and the library, a couple other buildings on nearby Eden Avenue have been sitting empty for years. Maybe a new owner can convert it to office space.

Was that Rite Aid previously a Brooks?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: standa on April 09, 2018, 08:24:58 AM
Was that Rite Aid previously a Brooks?

Nope. It was built and opened as a Rite Aid in 84 or 85.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on April 09, 2018, 07:03:13 AM

Passed by it yesterday while heading to Queen St. It's next to a Dollar Tree, so that may help.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

TheFugitive

Passed a former Rite Aid in Somerset, Pennsylvania yesterday that has
been very interestingly repurposed.

One side of it is now a Great Clips salon.
The opposite side is now a Dunkin Donuts with a drive-thru.
The remainder of the building is a Goodwill store.

As you might imagine that is a very strange looking beast.

AmesNewington

The Rite Aid in Wethersfield on the Silas Deane Highway closed suddenly very recently (about a month or two ago). Never heard of any liquidation sales happening. Went to a pizza restaurant next door and the store was completely empty, lights off, and signs down. This RA was down the street from a Walgreens (about a mile). They probably would have never converted it to a Walgreens with the long standing store down the road. Also, this RA was rather small and in an outdated building. I'd say the closest stores to me are Bloomfield and Middletown. Many CT locations are now owned by Walgreens so I'm sure they are not going to be Rite Aid for the long term. I only know of a few such as Cheshire were not bought out. All the locations left in the state are all away from the Greater Hartford area, mostly in rural areas where there isn't much competition.  

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 15, 2019, 10:21:48 AM
The Rite Aid in Wethersfield on the Silas Deane Highway closed suddenly very recently (about a month or two ago). Never heard of any liquidation sales happening.

We had a Walgreens that closed on the 10th (of April) and it was similar.  Was there around the beginning of the month, and the only sign of closing was a sandwich board between the two doors that said it would.
This was an odd situation, in that they took over the Rite Aid next door and converted that (back in November), and now closed their own store, though it was a somewhat unusual store for a Walgreens built in the recent past - smaller overall, and no break in the aisles (ran front to back with no "gap" across the middle of the store).

Going back to Rite Aid conversions - we have two locally that are converting now (one is closed this week Sun-Thur for renovation, the other does the same next week).
They followed a similar setup - 20% off some (mostly things you'd not usually think of in a drugstore items) for the month of February, then 40% off the same (and maybe a few more) items for March, with many more items added at up to 70% off starting April.  Then even more added in some categories (dental, first aid, feminine, baby were ones I noted) the final Sun-Sat prior to the Sun they close to renovate.
So, if you see any of that pattern, you can possibly guess when a local store will switch over.