Main Menu

KB Toys

Started by C. Fontaine, January 12, 2005, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwnut13

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on August 26, 2011, 05:35:05 PM
This was the temporary Holiday 2008 store in the Holyoke Mall in Massachusetts.
The original store closed in 2005. The chain opened 30 "temporary stores" for Holdiay 2008 before closing the chain in 2009.
This was not where the original store had been in the mall. This store tried to capitalize on the closing of Toys R Us at the Holyoke Mall in 2006 (one of my top childhood TRU's)

I remember that Toys R Us from my childhood too!  (well, when they closed in 2006 I was still in my "childhood", but whatever.  lol)

I think there used to be a Kids R Us across the hall? I can never recall seeing another one of those ever.  The Toys R Us store is now a Babies Are Us now, correct?

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: TRJ22487 on October 09, 2010, 08:07:26 AM
What was the address to the old Toy Works in Winsted Ct?
I believe it closed in 1997 before the KB merger and became an auction house
It was far on the outskirts of town, on the side of the main road with no plaza
The building was extremely tiny and very old school, still sold NES when they closed and n64 had just come out
It's a shame a picture of that place as Toy Works will likely never exist.

I was wondering if the building was caught on closeup with the new google maps.
I haven't been to Winsted since 2004 when I captured the Ames down the street while it was still vacant with signs up

Ugh I thinking back what it looked like... it was white with multicolored polka dots on the outside. Inside was cheap looking lots of video games no functioning video game kiosk at all. They had bouncy balls in one area toys in another it was real small I think I bought Sonic 2 there. That's all I remember. :)

ynkeesfn82

The former KB Toys in Plainville, CT is vacant again as Sleepy's moved to the a much smaller spot in the Plainville Commons next to Marshall's. They went from a 11,000+ sq ft store to one that was just over 6,500 Sq Ft. This leaves Famous Footwear as the only store in that building of the Plainville Commons. To the left is an empty 35,000 Sq Ft Former Linen's & Things and to the right is the former KB (now former Sleepy's).

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on January 10, 2013, 04:22:57 PM
The former KB Toys in Plainville, CT is vacant again as Sleepy's moved to the a much smaller spot in the Plainville Commons next to Marshall's. They went from a 11,000+ sq ft store to one that was just over 6,500 Sq Ft. This leaves Famous Footwear as the only store in that building of the Plainville Commons. To the left is an empty 35,000 Sq Ft Former Linen's & Things and to the right is the former KB (now former Sleepy's).

Rent probaly was cheaper at the new location and hasnt that spot been empty since they built that Plaza, oh wait..forgot use to be a furniture store.

On the other hand, Sleepys has three locations on the Pike lol

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 10, 2013, 06:16:39 PM

Rent probaly was cheaper at the new location and hasnt that spot been empty since they built that Plaza, oh wait..forgot use to be a furniture store.

I know they bought the Better Bedding locations, but it is ridiculous how close two of the three Sleepy's locations are on the Turnpike. Not even a third of a mile from each other. Actually a few buildings. One is across from Aldi, and one is across from the Stop and Shop plaza.

ynkeesfn82

The former KB at the Meriden Square is now Parade of Sports Novelties. Don't shop there.

ynkeesfn82

Part of the former KB Toys in the Shoprite Plaza is becoming a Fro-Yo World Frozen Yogurt lounge.

P.S. Here in Connecticut there have been frozen yogurt places popping up all over the place. Is this happening elsewhere? I remember frozen yogurt being popular 15 or 20 years ago and then the fad died down. Now it seems to be making a comeback.

TRJ_22487

Quote from: Marc B on March 04, 2013, 08:58:04 PM
P.S. Here in Connecticut there have been frozen yogurt places popping up all over the place. Is this happening elsewhere? I remember frozen yogurt being popular 15 or 20 years ago and then the fad died down. Now it seems to be making a comeback.

TCBY has been around since the early 80's, there are hundreds of them. If anything there probably used to be a lot more.
I picture a lot of hipsters eating it that are under the impression it is healthy for you.

Lastdaysofrain

It's a fad again, it's not like TCBY, this is "real" yogurt so it's got that sour yogurt flavor, it's because of the popularity of things like Pink Berry. In my area we've literally had 10 Frozen Yogurt places open in the last year all within a five mile radius. That's on top of the 12 or so mom and pop homemade (and very good) ice cream places we currently have.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 11, 2013, 09:05:59 AM

I know they bought the Better Bedding locations, but it is ridiculous how close two of the three Sleepy's locations are on the Turnpike. Not even a third of a mile from each other. Actually a few buildings. One is across from Aldi, and one is across from the Stop and Shop plaza.

Sleepy's bought Better Bedding??  :(

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2013, 02:25:18 PM

A couple of years ago when they went bankrupted.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 04, 2013, 08:58:04 PM
Part of the former KB Toys in the Shoprite Plaza is becoming a Fro-Yo World Frozen Yogurt lounge.

They're not even taking the entire 9,500 square feet space that was left over from when they divided the space the first time when they built the (now closed) 5,000 square foot Citi Bank in 2006. They built the new wall for the yogurt store today. Next they'll have to put in a door. So the KB has been split into 3 store fronts. A 5,000 square foot vacant space, vacant space I don't know the square footage of yet, and the Yogurt store, which I don't know the square footage of yet.

Kmart4life

The Former KB Toys at Lakeland Square was huge and always busy and the funny thing is that Toys R Us was and still is laocated outside the Mall and to this day was always like a ghost town. I don't know but KB always had the cool stuff as did Toys R Us but KB always stayed busy!

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 08, 2013, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2013, 02:25:18 PM

A couple of years ago when they went bankrupted.

Wow... So Better Bedding are now Sleepy's... and the Better Bedding Brothers are unemployed!!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 08, 2013, 02:03:02 PM
Wow... So Better Bedding are now Sleepy's... and the Better Bedding Brothers are unemployed!!

Tom and John Wholley.

Tom opened two new stores called Connecticut Mattress. They're in Avon and South Windsor. His brother John passed away a few years ago.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on April 08, 2013, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on April 08, 2013, 02:03:02 PM

Tom and John Wholley.

Tom opened two new stores called Connecticut Mattress. They're in Avon and South Windsor. His brother John passed away a few years ago.

OMG! i didnt know John passed away! Thats sad

ynkeesfn82

Back to the KB topic at hand. The close-out chain Ocean State Job Lot has a hole bunch of bags from KB Toys.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on April 21, 2013, 09:21:35 AM
Back to the KB topic at hand. The close-out chain Ocean State Job Lot has a hole bunch of bags from KB Toys.

Isn't this chain known for that, like how they use Ames shopping carts.

BillyGr

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 21, 2013, 01:39:12 PM
Back to the KB topic at hand. The close-out chain Ocean State Job Lot has a whole bunch of bags from KB Toys.

Yep - even Ames bags once (paper even - not sure where they found them - maybe stashed in an Ames they took over somewhere).  Along with any number of other defunct chains, and even some that aren't (maybe just misprints).  But it fits their plan (if you're selling close out items, why not use close out bags :)

ynkeesfn82

They must've bought a whole bunch of them considering KB has been gone 4 years.

P.S. Not just AMES carts. Job Lot in Southington has also acquired some of Walmart's carts. When Walmart in Southington remodeled 3 1/2 years ago they got rid of all their large grey plastic shopping carts  and replaced them with smaller metal carts with blue plastic handle.

retailisking

I got Meijer bags a couple of times I shopped at Job Lot.

zonemad96

Quote from: Marc B on April 22, 2013, 06:11:38 AM

They must've bought a whole bunch of them considering KB has been gone 4 years.

P.S. Not just AMES carts. Job Lot in Southington has also acquired some of Walmart's carts. When Walmart in Southington remodeled 3 1/2 years ago they got rid of all their large grey plastic shopping carts  and replaced them with smaller metal carts with blue plastic handle.
I hate to sway this topic but everyone else seems to be doing it so I thought I would add. My local big lots has ames shopping carts that they use for the back rooms and stock room and target and walmart shopping carts that they use for the customers, and my local ollies has bradlees shopping carts. You never know what old retail remnants you will find at those types of stores.

ynkeesfn82

The former KB in Southington, CT has 2 new tenants under construction! Part of it is going to be Fro-Yo World Frozen Yogurt Lounge and the other part is going to be Buffalo Wild Wings!

Plainville and Bristol remain vacant.

Hudsons81

The photo below is of the former KB Toys store inside Southland Center in Taylor, MI (in the concourse to the former Mervyn's store) which, after KB folded, became a local gift store named Hodge Podge, which then closed in late spring-early summer 2012, which then became one of Skin Tan Leather's two locations (relocating from the JCPenney concourse due to rue21 moving into their space) (Skin Tan Leather's only other store is at Great Lakes Crossing Outlets in Auburn Hills, MI).

ynkeesfn82

The old KB Toys in Plainville, CT which spent a few years as a Sleepy's (which downsize and move elsewhere in the plaza) is becoming Ulta Beauty.

d_fife

is it a total loss Kb toys closed? Why did it happen? What went wrong? And, why did ones like Keene close when its the only store of its kind aroind?

ynkeesfn82

They couldn't compete with other toy retailers including Toys R Us and Walmart. Toys R Us bought the rights to the name, for one year opened seasonal KB locations, before they decided to go with the name Toys R Us Express.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on October 25, 2013, 09:23:42 AM
They couldn't compete with other toy retailers including Toys R Us and Walmart. Toys R Us bought the rights to the name, for one year opened seasonal KB locations, before they decided to go with the name Toys R Us Express.

but why did ones like KEene close when theres no other store like it around?

d_fife

and of the one in Pittsfield Mass being gone why did it close with the rest of them , I mean it has 50,000 ppl and there are NO TOY STORES THERE, what will the kids do