Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the price chopper in southington Ct. it replaced the kmart. and it also replaced the kmart in bristol. Man a lot of price choppers in CT open by redeveloping old buildings.

southington

d_fife

here is the price chopper in southington Ct. it replaced the kmart. and it also replaced the kmart in bristol. Man a lot of price choppers in CT open by redeveloping old buildings.

southington

southington sign

d_fife

price chopper in waterbury CT that redeveloped an old toys r us plaza

d_fife

price chopper in waterbury CT that redeveloped an old toys r us plaza

sign in waterbury

Marc82

Okay here's the deal with Price Chopper's location in Waterbury. In 1996 the Edward's Superfood Store became Shaw's. A year or two later Shaw's and ToysRus moved to the brand new Brass Mill Commons next to the Brass Mill Mall. Then in 2002/2003 Price Chopper took over and that's when they revamped that plaza. Even if PC hadn't opened that plaza should've been redone anyway since they were across the street from the nice new shopping center wheret he Naugatuck Valley Mall had been.

d_fife

price chopper in champlain ny in the old ames and recently opened. I was there may 24, 2006.

d_fife

old price chopper in kmart plaza in malone ny

d_fife

current one in malone ny

d_fife

current one in malone ny

sign of malone one

mikey1972

I'm sorry to correct you, but that store was not a Price Chopper.  That store was formerly a Super Duper (supermarket chain), which later changed to IGA Plus before closing.  I think the Super Duper/IGA Plus closed because it couldn't compete with the Big Kmart store at the other end of the plaza.  The Malone Price Chopper stands on the site of the portion of the old Seaway Shopping Center which housed the former Acme Market (to later be the original Super Duper) and Fay's Drugs (later Wheels Discount Auto Store).:)

JimSawhill

this price chopper is in Torrington connecticut and opened in 1995. it ws the first one in CT.

Hmmm...

I saw Susan St. James & her family in that store a few times, when I was living in Torrington.

Jim S

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
Hmmm...

I saw Susan St. James & her family in that store a few times, when I was living in Torrington.

Jim S

That's so cool. BTW she and her husband own radio station 97.3 WZBG in nearby Litchfield.

shakethis1234

i work at the price chopper in fulton Ny in the old tops store it still looks like tops on the inside and out side just with the price chopper name

Marc82

Although I haven't started working yet, as of October 25, I'm officially an employee of Price Chopper #203 Southington, Connecticut located at 410 Queen Street in Southington in the former KMART building. At just over 96,000 Square Feet we are the second biggest Price Chopper in the state. Vernon is the biggest at around 100,000 Square Feet. Being that our store is so large some regional offices are housed in this location.

Connecticut location number 8 is supposed to be opening in Windsor in May 2007. Several more are supposed to be opening by 2010.

Currently stores in Connecticut are located in:

1. Torrington
2. Waterbury (formerly Edwards/Shaws and Toys R Us)
3. Southington (formerly Big K Mart)
4. Bristol (formerly W.T. Grants, Caldor, and most recently Big KMART)
5. Newington (ripped down former AMES Location)
6. Vernon (Former AMES Location. Not sure if they ripped it down or just gutted it like the gutted the old KMARTS in Southington/Bristol)
7. Putnam

Marc82

Effective November 6, 2006 Price Chopper will no longer be offering a Senior Citizen Discount on Mondays to their customers over the age of 60. Also on that date they will no longer be accepting competitors coupons.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Effective November 6, 2006 Price Chopper will no longer be offering a Senior Citizen Discount on Mondays to their customers over the age of 60. Also on that date they will no longer be accepting competitors coupons.

Ouch. Trying to cut corners??

Marc82

The signs on all the registers say it has to do with the "Save money on your gasoline at SUNOCO" Promotion that's now going on.

Marc82

Interestingly Enough the Gas Promotion is only going on at Price Chopper in Southington, Bristol, Waterbury, Newington, and Vernon. It's not going on at the other 2 CT stores Torrington and Putnam. It's rare those stores are ever mentioned anywhere.  (Except for the spider incident in Torrington).

http://www2.pricechopper.com/fueladvantedge

BillyGr

Interestingly Enough the Gas Promotion is only going on at Price Chopper in Southington, Bristol, Waterbury, Newington, and Vernon. It's not going on at the other 2 CT stores Torrington and Putnam. It's rare those stores are ever mentioned anywhere.  (Except for the spider incident in Torrington).

http://www2.pricechopper.com/fueladvantedge

I guess this could be to "make up" for the fact that they don't have their own stations (like so many chains do) - of course they HAD them at one time in many locations (not necessarily CT, since those stores are "newer"), but decided to get rid of them a number of years back.

Wonder if they'll expand this to other areas (maybe some, like Western MA, southern NY where S&S has gas?).

Marc82

It's been nearly one week since we stopped accepting competitor's coupons at Price Chopper. (As far as I know it's only the 5 doing the Gas Promotion - Southington, Bristol, Waterbury, Newington, and Vernon). I've run into quite a few angry customers who have threatened not to come back because we no longer accept competitor's coupons. - We are not even accepting coupons from something called "The Entertainment Book", which is something we sponsored with News Channel 8 WTNH.

mikey7290

It's been nearly one week since we stopped accepting competitor's coupons at Price Chopper. (As far as I know it's only the 5 doing the Gas Promotion - Southington, Bristol, Waterbury, Newington, and Vernon). I've run into quite a few angry customers who have threatened not to come back because we no longer accept competitor's coupons. - We are not even accepting coupons from something called "The Entertainment Book", which is something we sponsored with News Channel 8 WTNH.

I spoke with a clerk at our local Price Chopper here in Ogdensburg, NY and she confirmed that our store is no longer accepting competitors' coupons, either.:(

XISMZERO

It's a sad thing how much gas has become such a political punching bag and a trend whose hysteria has gotten out of hand. $2.25 for a gallon of gas isn't what it should be, but it's certainly not $3 of [what it will probably become in] the Summer. Putting another dollar or two (or if you want to get into extremes; 7 or 8) in your car come fill up time is, when you think about it, downright silly. If Americans just learned to sacrifice a bit on things that aren't essential, some of the gas hysteria would just go away.

Now Stop & Shop may give $.10 off a gallon of gas but it's usually by my observation at the few S&S gas stations they jack it up .10 more than the Valero down the street. Thus, it equals out, just like buying groceries from them (who I believe has prices too high on everything) and say Target (what groceries they do carry, usually 30-50% less than any supermarket).

Price Chopper seems like a loser here giving up competitor coupons which are corroding the hometown trust most big corporate entities are usually devoid of. What's the real reason they gave up the competitor coupons? Could they have been losing out big financially as a result of this?
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Last week or the week before I had a guy come through my line with an old skool Price Chopper Advantage Card. Instead of the regular Blue one with the red lettering, this one was made of paper. I asked him where he got it from and he told me Upstate New York Circa 1993.

BillyGr

Last week or the week before I had a guy come through my line with an old skool Price Chopper Advantage Card. Instead of the regular Blue one with the red lettering, this one was made of paper. I asked him where he got it from and he told me Upstate New York Circa 1993.

Here's one that is a bit newer (1996) and is plastic, but a very thin (about paper thickness) one, rather than the credit card like ones that are current.

The back has contact info for the store and card info.

Marc82

I think that might have been it. I thought it was paper because it was so thin.

BillyGr

I think that might have been it. I thought it was paper because it was so thin.

It may have been - I seem to remember them being paper at first, maybe even as a "temporary" one until you got the plastic one.

Marc82

Hey Everyone. Just checking in to let everyone know that Price Chopper in Southington/Bristol, Conecticut is celebrating their 3rd Anniversary this week. It was January 2004 when they opened in the former KMARTS.

121 Farmington Ave Bristol (Route 6) in the Bristol Commons.

410 Queen Street Southington (Route 10)

Monday the 22nd is Senior Day:

Free Carnations for Female Senior Citizens

Free Blood Pressure (10-11) & Heart Check (11-2) at the Pharmacy
Free Food Samples (11-7)
Free Coffee & Pastry Food Court (7-12)

Tuesday the 23rd

Meet the Managers Day - Pharmacy Raffle Free Give Aways:
Free Food Samples (11-7)
Sample Chocolate Covered Strawberries (11-5)
Pizza Samples (5a-8p)
Meet the people at Citizens Bank Free Give Aways (12-5)

Wednesday the 24th
Meet The Managers - Raffle for a Roast Free Samples All Day
Sample Dietz & Watson Cold Cuts (5-8)

Thursday the 25th
Anniversary Cake Cutting

Sample Gourmet Prepared Food

Meet the Managers (5-7)
Meet the people at Citizens Bank Free Give Aways (12-5)

Friday the 26th
Raffle for a Shrimp Platter and 1lb Lobster
Meet the Pharamcists
Watch Live Floral Arrangement Demonstrations (2-6)

Saturday the 27th

Coffee & Juice 11-6
Sample Fresh Baked Artisan Breads (10-6)
Talk to the Florist For Wedding Plans (10-5)
Face Painting for the Kids (11-5)

Come to the Southington store and you can meet me too. I'll be working Tuesday 1-6, Thursday 830-230, Friday 1-630, and Saturday 900-200. Come to the front end and look for the fat guy with glasses wearing a Yankees Necklace.

XISMZERO

Marc, there's a reason why we love you on AFC. They're having quite the list of commemorative events, eh? I think Price Chopper really improved their former stores and I usually like to shop there when I like to oddly do some later night shopping because they're the only supermarket open 24 hours.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Do you work odd hours or are you an insomniac? One of the daytime cashiers had to work overnight the other day and she said their were only three types of people who shop in the middle of the night: People Who Work Odd Hours, Insomniacs, and stoners. You don't strike me as a stoner. :bigsmile: So that's why I ask if you're a person who works odd hours or an insomniac.

powersbt

That's quite a celebration for a 3 year Anniversary. We did something similar to that, but that was our 10th year. Did nothing for 15. Perhaps 20?? Although with a Rumored Remodel for 2008, we may have a Grand Reopening.