Raleigh Mall

Started by XDeSuEhTX, April 01, 2011, 02:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XDeSuEhTX

There is a sadness looming about in the recent announcement that the Raleigh Mall, an indoor mall in my hometown of Beckley, WV is finally going to be demolished this May. The mall has been "dead" for a little over a decade now, so the maintenance and up keep have been nothing short of neglected for sever years as a result. Roof leaks have already begun to destroy the interior. In the last month, Dollar General has moved out and a kids birthday party business has also followed. The two remaining indoor tenants, Habitat For Humanity and a nails place, have until May. Because one anchor, Elder Beerman, still makes a profitable business at the location, it will not be demolished, nor will the Tractor Supply Co store that opened up on the outer end of the former Montgomery Wards anchor in 2006, and neither will Gabriel Brothers which operates on the outer end of the former Murhpy's Mart / Ames anchor. The rest of the mall however, will come down. The retail property is supposed to be redeveloped to include some new stores and restaurants in the mall's place.

The Raleigh Mall opened to the public in 1972 and was for several decades one of the busiest shopping centers not only in Beckley, but in all of southern West Virginia. The mall featured 30+ indoor tenants and was anchored by Murphy's Mart, Stone & Thomas, and Montgomery Wards. Sharing the plaza was a new Kroger / SuperX drugstore (both now gone). The anchors would change a few times (Ames buying out Murphy's, Ames closing and becoming a Goody's, and Elder Beerman buying out Stone & Thomas), but the mall never really began to fail until Montgomery Wards closed in 2001. All hope was certainly lost by the time that the Goody's anchor vacated in 2005, and the cinema was closed the following year. Some alterations were made to the interior in order to fit larger tenants and revitalize the mall, but these efforts were of no use.

I went out and shot some video with my phone yesterday, and I plan on going back the next sunny day we get and shooting some more with my digital camera and also shooting some still photos of both interior and exterior. I am going to create a Youtube channel in memory of the mall, and I will post the videos and pictures to the channel. I'll put up a link to the channel here when I get it done.

RIP: Raleigh Mall, 1972 - 2011.  :(
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

gu4ever

Hope you stop in and get some pictures before it is torn down. Last year I visited the Bedford Mall in Bedford, NH and snapped a bunch of photos. I just happened to drive by the other day and to my surprise 3/4 of that mall now stands in rubble as it transforms into a strip mall.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

XDeSuEhTX

To me it's strange how retail development has began to abandon the mall concept in favor of outdoor centers.

I returned to the mall today and snapped many more stills and took some more video with my standard 480i digital camera, the lighting today was good so I'm satisfied. I might go again before the demolition. I wish I could shoot some in HD but don't own and HD camera. Oh well.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

retailisking

Shopping preferences change over time.  Nowadays most folks want to park and get in and out of their favorite store as quickly as possible; strip centers are ideal for this. The smaller, older malls don't offer the lifestyle components that help ensure their long-term viability; their fate is to de-mall, go mixed-use or face the wrecking ball. I hope you post that video on YouTube, XDeSuEhTX!

gu4ever, I remember the Bedford Mall. The Jordan Marsh (later Macy's) was the most neglected department store I've ever seen.

XDeSuEhTX

It seems as though the demolition of this mall is now imminent, the indoor portion is now closed to the public and condemned, marked with an asbestos warning in the front doors. I expect demolition will start Monday, and I might try to get a few photos of the actual demo. I will probably be going back today to snap some of the condemnation and warning signs, as well as the dumpsters placed in the parking lots.

Sadly it looks like the end of the road for the Raleigh Mall, a mall that I was fond of as a child, and of which both my parents had at one time worked decades ago. The best that can be hoped for is a proper redevelopment, something worthwhile to take it's place, which I have my doubts about.

It's a bit of a downer, seeing this mall go and now even seeing the steady decline starting to take place at the nearby Crossroads Mall, the last surviving mall of the area, which has reached about a 30% vacancy with recent closing of Walden Books (shouts out to the last book store in town). It's all disappearing and I don't know what the future holds anymore in regards to physical retail... where will people find work? What will happen to our economy? Where will we go on the weekends for fun when it's all gone? Like it or not, shopping malls have been an American staple... it's hard to believe they won't be around much longer.

XDeSuEhTX

Here are some photos I took in the last month.

Front entrance. This section will be demolished.

View from the side.

More view from the side.

Former Montgomery Wards. The Tractor Supply Co will stay.

Wards, 10 years vacant, to be demolished.

Former Wards entrance.

1st rear entrance and Elder-Beerman rear entrance. Mall portion will go, Elder-Beerman will stay.

2nd rear entrance and theater parking to be demolished.

Gabriel Brothers / Bingo (former Murphy Mart then Ames) will stay.

Spooky looking shot of theater entryway.

Demolition phase one - asbestos removal.

retailisking

Awesome pics!  That's one sad looking mall.  Really looking forward to seeing what the rehab will look like.  How is Elder-Beerman doing?  Doesn't seem too prosperous.  They must be paying rock-bottom rent to stay put.  Amazing that the long-vacated cinema is still on the road sign but NOT Elder-Beerman.

XDeSuEhTX

Quote from: retailisking on June 28, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
Awesome pics!  That's one sad looking mall.  Really looking forward to seeing what the rehab will look like.  How is Elder-Beerman doing?  Doesn't seem too prosperous.  They must be paying rock-bottom rent to stay put.  Amazing that the long-vacated cinema is still on the road sign but NOT Elder-Beerman.

Elder-Beerman seems to have a well established consumer base having been present in the location for the last 18 years, roughly. Even in recent years, there are always at least fifteen to twenty cars on the lot (considering both lots) at any given time, despite there being no other reason to go into the mall.

I've got a ton of video that I've shot both inside and driving around this mall, I plan to post the videos on YouTube in the near future. I will continue to document the demolition and redevelopment.

XDeSuEhTX

Update... The mall portion is mostly down as of September, the following pics were taken in July and August.

The entire mall portion is now gutted, I will try to get some more recent pics soon. There is word going around the former Wards building will not be demolished, but instead renovated for future leasing retail space. This means that all three original anchor buildings will remain standing if not entirely intact, after redevelopment.

On another note, I was able to tap into a well of information regarding the mall's history of tenants, which I will compile a list and post for the record, eventually.

XDeSuEhTX

The redevelopment of this plaza is coming right along. The former Montgomery Wards anchor was spared, but remodeled and is now home to Dunham Sports, a rather large sporting goods store. Elder-Beerman now has a new facade and front parking lot. The word is still that at least two dine-in restaurants are to be constructed soon on the property.

I will post some pics of the progress the next time I'm over that way.

XDeSuEhTX

The rehab of this mall has reached completion. The plaza is still called Raleigh Mall, although the indoor mall portion is no more. The Olive Garden and Cheddar's now operate on the former parking lot, Big Lots (former Kroger) was given a new facade, and the plaza was given a new road sign.

I will try and remember to post some updated after pics very soon.

XDeSuEhTX

UPDATE -

I realize that I never followed through with posting any pictures of the rehabbed mall, I know that I took some shortly after completion. I will look for them and post them soon, or I may take some new ones soon.

The biggest update to this mall is the recent announcement that parent company Bon Ton Inc is planning to not renew the lease on the Elder Beerman store of 20+ years, after it runs out in January. This will close down the final remaining original anchor of the mall, at least from a technical standpoint, as Elder Beerman transitioned the location as a result of acquiring Stone & Thomas in the early 1990s. This comes only 3 years after the original indoor corridors of the mall were demolished as part of the shopping center's rehabilitation. The store was given a brand new external facade, although the original interior is still to this day very 1970s in it's look and layout. It's doubtful that any other store will lease the building without extensive renovations.

It's a bit of a bummer loosing the store, the jobs, and in a way, the last piece of history to this once thriving mall that had been for decades a staple in the area. I wasn't exactly a loyal customer of Elder Beermen, but they did sell nice clothes and housewares, and I will still miss having the option to shop there. It was among some of the last stores in the area that have been there mostly my entire life, and now will be gone. I can't help but be upset with the fact that all good things come to an end.  :-\