iHeart Radio cuts local air talent in centralization push

Started by retailisking, January 14, 2020, 09:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Hundreds of jobs lost, especially in small and medium markets. This could embolden other group owners to make similar cuts.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/iheartmedia-mass-layoffs-937513/

deerwrecker2017

The iHeart Radio layoffs have been discussed in a number of threads that were started on the Radio Discussions forum when the layoff news went public. Maybe the idea slogan that iHeart Radio should absolutely adopt is "Everybody knows we're Cheap"

Brammy

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on January 22, 2020, 02:05:49 PM
The iHeart Radio layoffs have been discussed in a number of threads that were started on the Radio Discussions forum when the layoff news went public. Maybe the idea slogan that iHeart Radio should absolutely adopt is "Everybody knows we're Cheap"

iHeart Radio used to be know as Clear Channel and the derogatory nickname for Clear Channel was Cheap Channel.

Locally in my area there weren't too many casualties.

In Hartford, CT Wendy Steele the midday host on Country 92.5 is out.

In Springfield, Mass Kera Burk morning co-host on MIX 93.1 is out.

In New Haven, CT the only casualty was a DJ on KC 101 who was piped in from another market.

The Real Brammy

TheFugitive

At one time I had a number of friends doing radio, but they've all gotten out of the business.

Just as with many other things the internet came along and blew-up their business model.

retailisking

When iHeart went bankrupt the creditors took over the company. They want to get paid back. I have a feeling that these changes wouldn't be happening (or at least not to the same extent) if the company was in control of the original owners.