Main Menu

JC Penney

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjstheiv

The JCPennys in West Mifflin PA in Century III mall.

TRJ22487

Here is the Keene, NH JC Penney taken by myself on 1/24/2009
It moved from Brattleboro, VT in 1995 into the former Rich's when they closed

Mervyns

I hate JCP. Their stores are not taken care of. In fact, the escalator is broken at my JCPenney right now. The place is years overdue for a remodel.

Worst of all, they ruined Eckerd. They let their stores become the most outdated of the big 4, and closed many Eckerds as well as Thrift Drugs and Fays. Then they sold them to a certain chain that would become a monopoly with that acquisition, and even worse close most of them. Then what was left was sold to a chain that would ruin them, and then Rite Aid--and the Eckerds are still outdated. :flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming:

kendra

The latest in our exciting series of grody JCPenney signage photos:

From the rear of the Bangor Mall:

Closer up:

And don't get me wrong, I love JCPenney and I am of the odd group that appreciates their vintage, outdated stores as they are a sort of time capsule, but these signs are in sad shape.

The one on the front of the store looks even worse (alas, I didn't get a photo), but the one on the side looks just fine...must have to do with how much sun they get, or something. I honestly don't remember seeing it look this bad prior to today.

Also, it appears that the sign near the back entrance advertising catalog pickup and whatnot has disappeared...I noticed that on my last visit.

(Though, looking at the above photo, it appears to have been missing last summer as well...am I just noticing it now? Weird.)

CTAmeshopper

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra

Closer up:

And don't get me wrong, I love JCPenney and I am of the odd group that appreciates their vintage, outdated stores as they are a sort of time capsule, but these signs are in sad shape.

The one on the front of the store looks even worse (alas, I didn't get a photo), but the one on the side looks just fine...must have to do with how much sun they get, or something. I honestly don't remember seeing it look this bad prior to today.

That sign in the second photo looks trashy, it needs it's lamps or it's covering replaced. :barf:

ameskmart1

La Grande, OR (Taken 12/2008)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Marc82

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper
QuoteOriginally posted by kendra

Closer up:

That sign in the second photo looks trashy, it needs it's lamps or it's covering replaced. :barf:

Those JCPenney signs look rusty. I agree with you guys that they need to be replaced with new ones. Maybe some black JCPenney signs that change to white when lit up, like on the new stores.

Marc82

I really like the exterior on the one at The Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury, CT. It looks really snazzy. Wish I had brought my camera when my family and I went there yesterday.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

jmcnamara96

Found this out online about the JC Penny in the Pheasant Lane Mall

Unfortunately, the site lines had been drawn up incorrectly, placing one corner of the JCPenney building in Massachusetts. Massachusetts, once again, declared that all customers in all stores would have to pay Massachusetts sales tax. Consequently, after carefully remeasuring state lines, the corner of JCPenney was cut off and re-bricked up into its current pentagonal shape.

TRJ22487

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 07, 2010, 08:48:52 PM
Consequently, after carefully remeasuring state lines, the corner of JCPenney was cut off and re-bricked up into its current pentagonal shape.

Hilarious. It's pretty funny when the exit to the mall itself has a little sign on the ground that simply says              "<-- Massachusetts"

EddieJ1984

JCPenney unveiled a new logo today.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11017857/1/jc-penney-launches-new-logo.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

I like it, while it does follow the trend of logo's being lowercased, it works here with the jcp in the box.

MikeRa

JCPenney are opening a new "Full line" store at Franklin Mills Mall, in the former location of their JCPenney Catalog Outlet Store.  They already have the new signs up, with the new logo.  This new store will open in early 2012
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on February 22, 2011, 01:25:06 PM
JCPenney unveiled a new logo today.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11017857/1/jc-penney-launches-new-logo.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

I like it, while it does follow the trend of logo's being lowercased, it works here with the jcp in the box.

At first I hated it but now after looking at it a while I LIKE IT! It's got a cool thing with the reverse lettering in the box.

retailisking

Thousands of workers to be cut, pricing to be rounded to the nearest dollar, everyday low pricing instead of sales, and a deal with Martha Stewart that has led to a lawsuit by Macy's - meet JCPenney's latest turnaround plan. You can't say it isn't a bold plan, unlike, say, Sears/Kmart tinkering around the edges.  Edit: Linking to a better Forbes article now. It's certainly getting attention. Saw an NBC report on the changes today and it showed a lot of storefronts that still haven't updated to the 1970s JCPenney logo! There are a lot of questions, including whether consumers will buy into the new pricing strategy or stick with retailers that play lots of games with coupons and percent off sales.  The hope is that with everyday fair pricing consumers will shop JCP more often. I agree with everyone else that the new logo is hideous - why all the open space in that box? At least the jcpenney redesign made some sort of sense.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2012/01/26/why-jcpenney-will-be-the-most-interesting-retailer-of-2012/

jason83080

Quote from: tntornadox on June 30, 2009, 03:29:25 PM
~image snip~
The brand new free-standing JCPenney store located at the Turkey Creek shopping center in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Am I the only one that gets a "this was supposed to be a Target at some point" vibe from that design?

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

EddieJ1984

And amidst all these changes, JCPenney is changin their logo...yet again (11 months later from the last change)

http://www.jcpmediaroom.com/

McNuggetMan

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on January 26, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
And amidst all these changes, JCPenney is changin their logo...yet again (11 months later from the last change)

Eww... that looks terrible.

dmx10101

I like all the changes they are planning but I must say though that is probably the most horrendous logo change I've ever seen.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

standa

I just realized that the new JCPenney logo is reminiscent of the American flag.

ynkeesfn82

Has anyone else seen the commercial advertising the changes with the women scream? Oh my god it's annoying. I was watching Dr. Oz yesterday and started dozing off and all of a sudden the comemrcail comes on and I was like "What the hang?"

Zayre88

I don't like it....

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on January 27, 2012, 06:17:40 PM
Has anyone else seen the commercial advertising the changes with the women scream? Oh my god it's annoying. I was watching Dr. Oz yesterday and started dozing off and all of a sudden the comemrcail comes on and I was like "What the hang?"

Here's the commercial. It's called "Enough is Enough." http://youtu.be/aj3PfcPuauM

faz152

It will be exciting to see the changes in store though... let's face it... most JCP's are somewhat dated and dark... nothing exciting about the merchandise... I think it is a much needed change or they would have gone the way of Sears.

BillyGr

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on January 26, 2012, 12:14:34 AM

Perhaps this logo has something to do with or will be used for price tags.  An article I saw mentioned that the three pricing levels (Regular, Monthly Sale and Best Price [aka Clearance]) will have tags that are red, white and blue (forget which color for which category), so perhaps this logo would be part of or somehow connected to that?

shore72

My wife shops JCP a lot and, to me, they always seem to be a chain that has their act together. I've been in four of their locations over the last year and all seemed well cared for and up to date, especially in comparison to some of the competition.

nims57

What the #$%&? I just found out about the "new new" logo today, but a few months ago I got an email from the company telling me "you'll begin to see our new logo on our stores soon"... and that email was talking about the "old new" logo! Perhaps they are going to use two different logos (one on store signs, one on products and in ads) like Sears and A&P did back in the day? Gap got a new logo about a year ago but changed it back because it was like New Coke. I wonder why the 2000 Ruby Tuesday logo changed around 2005 too.

jason83080

This is our newer one - Avon, OH, constructed in 2009, I believe...

Edit: So, the article states 2007. It must have opened in 2008. The land that it and Lowe's is on used to be a driving range.

We all thought it would replace the location in Elyria, OH, by Midway Mall, but it hasn't. That one sported the "Penney's" logo for YEARS after I moved out here in 1996 before finally getting the black-in-the-day-but-white-at-night "JCPenney" logo.