Mystery former fast food place, Largo, FL

Started by FearlessSwan, June 13, 2008, 06:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearlessSwan

This place has been abandonded as long as I've lived in the area (Fall 04). I've never quite been able to figure out what it was, but it has a place where a drive thru window would be, so I'm guessing it was once a fast food restaurant. There is no former signage or labelscarring anywhere on the site.

Kind of resembles the shape  of a Hardee's, but I'm not sure.

Crawford

Looks like it used to be a Burger Chef
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

FearlessSwan

I've never heard of Burger Chef, but it's easy to see why whatever it was went out of business and why the site remains vacant. It's almost impossible to get into and out of the place. I'm guessing it was built there before the area got developed, and it ended up getting boxed in by the surrounding structures (A strip mall on one side, and the entrance to some condos on the other.)

NJxxJon

MAPS.LIVE.COM check that site....birds eye should give you a good view.
JN

patk

FearlessSwan

It's located at 7683 Ulmerton Rd. Some overhead views. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference.

NJxxJon

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=7683+Ulmerton+Rd,+Largo,+FL+33771,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Ok Click STREET VIEW and scroll to the right. Damn I love google maps! It looks like a hardees sign near that dumpster (entrance to the driveway.)
JN

FearlessSwan

The red part of that sign says "Plaza De Sunus", which is the shopping center next door. The white part on the bottom half is blank. I assume the red part was for Hardee's, but they've done a pretty good job of covering it up. There's no evidence of the old logo.

videogamer75

Totally a former McDonald's. It has the same roofline. (McD's always modifies the roofs of their closed locations by straightening out the mansard).

Compare it to this and you'll see the resemblance - the window setup is different, but the roofline is exactly the same:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrell_james/4792378868/in/set-72157624365465421

beachgal26

Hate to disagree, but the building looks to "boxy" to be a McDonald's and who has ever seen one close-maybe remodeled, but few ever close.

scottw73

videogamer75

Quote from: beachgal26 on August 20, 2010, 11:18:50 PM
Hate to disagree, but the building looks to "boxy" to be a McDonald's and who has ever seen one close-maybe remodeled, but few ever close.

No, they definitely HAVE closed restaurants before. I can think of several to prove it. It's rare, but it does happen.

Most of the time, they just build a new location down the street.

TRJ22487

Quote from: videogamer75 on September 28, 2010, 05:42:20 AM
Quote from: beachgal26 on August 20, 2010, 11:18:50 PM

No, they definitely HAVE closed restaurants before. I can think of several to prove it. It's rare, but it does happen.

Most of the time, they just build a new location down the street.

It definitely happens, right off the top of my head I can think of Windsor, VT being one. It opened sometime around 2000 and closed around 2008 without being moved to a new location. I was a bit upset because I always used to stop there when I was driving that way to get a bite to eat and now there's nowhere to stop

JimSawhill

I'll look at the Largo City Directory for the answer!!!

Update:  I am looking in the 1981 Polk City Directory and the address of Ulmerton Road in Largo is not listed. in 1981 Berger King had 3 locations in Largo...980 Missouri Road< 3600 East Bay and 13790 Walsingham...At 7800 Ulmerton there was Country Kitchen Restaurant...