Main Menu

Sears

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on December 22, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
It's official. There is a sign in front of the plaza. Everything Must Go X% off. And all that good stuff there. Will the last business to leave that plaza please turn off the lights? When Sears is gone there will be an Aarons, a hair salon, a dentist office, a Chinese Restaurant, and a Big Lots that doesn't do any business. As I mentioned in the Joann's Thread, Joann's is moving from this plaza to Shoprite Plaza in Southington in February. Note: I'm not counting Wendy's or Webster Bank because those businesses don't need the plaza to be thriving to survive,

Last day for Sears Appliance and Hardware in Bristol, CT is January 31, 2014. It's pretty much picked clean.

JimSawhill

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 08, 2013, 09:07:10 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on December 08, 2013, 06:38:08 PM
If Sears ever go Out of Business, I hope someone with business sense (I would if I have the $$$) would open an 'old Sears', what I mean is a 'Sears that looks like it came from the 1970s (with a catalog operation, fashion, Sporting goods (including boats like they had back then) hardware and furniture). I hope Sears (and KMart) would be spun off and survive.

I doubt you'll see ShopKo in the northeast!

Shopko has the business sense to open just about anywhere and the money to expand east, but right now they're busy expanding with their Hometown stores. They've expanded into the Pacific northwest from the 1970s to the 1990s, but that was when SuperValu owned them. Have you even been to a Shopko? Their stores are much nicer looking than a Sears or Kmart. Shopko has a pharmacy and optical center in each of their stores, all the latest fashions, a great selection of electronics, and toys.
Sears and Kmart on the other hand, are dying, their stores are falling apart, their CEO is too much of a dumbass to do anything fix Sears and Kmart, and now their stores are outdated, and are closing at an alarming pace. As somebody stated on this forum, "Stick a fork in Kmart and Sears, they're done!", I think we had enough of Sears and Kmart. Kmart, unlike Shopko, does not have small stores in small towns with populations of 3,000 to 8,000. Those stores are called Shopko Hometown, and most of them are former Pamida locations. If Kmart, Target, or Walmart want to be as successful as Shopko, why don't they try a smaller store for smaller communities. It would be profitable and save people on gas.

Kmart and Sears are NOT going to survive!

And...Have you ever been to a Shopko?

Next time you're in Wisconsin (or Nebraska), visit a Shopko, and see why they're successful here in the Midwest.

I never been to a Shopko. What I heard (not only from you) is that they are great stores. If kmart was smart, they should hire someone from Shopko to run it... (and sears should hire someone from Norstrom's)

Zayre88

Sears Canada to lay off more than 1,600 in latest cost-saving move

Sears Canada Inc. announced the layoffs of more than 1,600 employees late Wednesday, the latest cost-slashing move from the struggling retailer as it tries to boost its operating performance.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/01/15/sears-canada-to-lay-off-1600-in-latest-cost-saving-move

TRU7536

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 15, 2014, 05:55:07 PM

Sears Canada Inc. announced the layoffs of more than 1,600 employees late Wednesday, the latest cost-slashing move from the struggling retailer as it tries to boost its operating performance.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/01/15/sears-canada-to-lay-off-1600-in-latest-cost-saving-move

its the start of the end for Sears

Zayre88

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 15, 2014, 06:42:42 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on January 15, 2014, 05:55:07 PM

its the start of the end for Sears

See other recent cuts.....

Sears Canada to lay off nearly 800 workers - November 2013
Sears Canada to lay off 700 workers - January 2013
Second Sears Canada layoff affects 400 - January 2012

In 2000 I was working at Sears Canada, the company had 55,000 employees....
Outdated number from the website is 37,000.
My estimate is that the number is closer to 30,000...

bubcolbert1952

That Sears was once a Montgomery Ward... until that company (very similar to Sears) folded about 13 years ago this month. No reason Sears/Kmart couldn't end up in the same boat this year.

katnapped

I think they're just letting the leases expire little by little and disposing of the store (real estate) base that way.  There doesn't seem to be much evidence that any Sears or Kmart leases are being renewed anywhere.

bubcolbert1952

It wouldn't be too unusual if Target bought all the Sears store leases, while letting Sears close on their own. Afterward Target could completely gut the stores but the layouts of the new Targets would probably be a lot like the old Sears layouts. The only obstacle to this plan that I can see would be the ability to fit all the checkouts a Target store needs, because most Sears stores only have checkout counters a few places in the store. Also features such as pharmacies and snack bars might be hard to fit, but I do know of several conversions of mall-style department stores to Targets, including at least one former Sears.

I get the feeling Walmart will eventually buy the "better" Kmart store leases (of the bigger and relatively newer Kmart stores, mostly opened in the 90's) while having closing sales to clear the stores of merchandise, then taking as long as it takes to convert the stores to the Walmart appearance inside and out before reopening. Few of the 60's/70's Kmart store sites (which most current Kmart stores are) would have any appeal to Walmart, but maybe some of them could become Sam's Club, or at least could be demolished to fit Sam's Club new construction. Also Walmart has been experimenting in Texas with wholesale stores called Mas Club ("mas" is pronounced the same as "moss") which is a Mexican-themed version of Sam's Club. Of course there still is a lot of room for Mas Club to grow, and a lot of former Kmart sites in more urban areas such as the outskirts of Chicago have high Hispanic populations. I could see Walmart opening Mas Club everywhere at former Kmart sites just to keep Target out.

MikeRa

The Sears at King of Prussia Plaza is giving up the 2nd floor of this store to Dick's Sporting Goods:
Sears Signs Lease Agreement With DICK's Sporting Goods At King of Prussia Mall
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

zonemad96

Quote from: retailisking on January 07, 2014, 12:53:47 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/sears-to-close-landover-store-in-march/2014/01/06/f9b80d3a-7722-11e3-af7f-13bf0e9965f6_story.html
I think the wesminster md store might be closing eventually too since they close an hour before the mall does monday-thursday which is the only store in the mall that I know of to do that.

ynkeesfn82

The former Sears store at the Columbina Mall in Columbia, South Carolina is becoming a Belk's Men Store. The existing Belk store will get an overhaul and the Men's Dept will be taking over the former Sears. http://www.wltx.com/news/article/262306/2/Belk-To-Renovate-Sears-Space-at-Columbiana-Mall

ynkeesfn82

I'm sure we've all seen the ad for Sears Optical where the woman mistakes a raccoon for her cat, well it really happened to an elderly Connecticut woman.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Raccoon-Bites-88-Year-Old-Woman-Who-Mistook-it-for-Cat-Police-272582681.html

buzz86us

I am going to be working at Sears soon it is the one in Rotterdam Mall I think it should last for some time because honestly it is in the mall's best interest to keep Sears Holdings happy if Sears Holdings ever went under all they'd have is Macy's and I really don't see that mall attracting new Anchors...

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: buzz86us on September 05, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
I am going to be working at Sears soon it is the one in Rotterdam Mall I think it should last for some time because honestly it is in the mall's best interest to keep Sears Holdings happy if Sears Holdings ever went under all they'd have is Macy's and I really don't see that mall attracting new Anchors...

Good luck to you. I was turned down without even being interviewed by both Sears Holdings stores - Sears in Meriden, CT and KMART in Cromwell, CT.

Hudsons81

Hot off the press: Sears is shutting down their store at Century III Mall in suburban Pittsburgh in December. It was one of the mall's original anchors.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/09/22/Sears-closing-store-at-Century-III-Mall-in-West-Mifflin-Pittsburgh

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 22, 2014, 10:22:34 AM
Hot off the press: Sears is shutting down their store at Century III Mall in suburban Pittsburgh in December. It was one of the mall's original anchors.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/09/22/Sears-closing-store-at-Century-III-Mall-in-West-Mifflin-Pittsburgh

well...perhaps plans for the new theater will now be put on hold.

Because this is practically a death knell for Century III.   It's already better than half empty, and
one of the other anchors is JC Penney.

Shame because I really enjoyed shopping in that store when I first moved back to town.
If they are down to 88 employees it's a shell of what it once was.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on September 05, 2014, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: buzz86us on September 05, 2014, 09:15:27 PM

Good luck to you. I was turned down without even being interviewed by both Sears Holdings stores - Sears in Meriden, CT and KMART in Cromwell, CT.

Why wouldn't they interview you?

TheFugitive

Hot off the presses....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-why-troubled-chains-vendors-164600063.html

Stories like this about Ames began circulating in places like the Wall Street Journal
in the weeks leading up to our filing Chap. 11.

Not good that they are struggling to secure financing for inventory headed into the
Christmas season.  Also likely a strong reason for all of the Sears and Kmart stores
shutting their doors before Christmas even gets here.  Likely the company knew they
could not fully stock the shelves in all stores given these restrictions.

retailisking

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 06, 2014, 03:17:49 PM
Stories like this about Ames began circulating in places like the Wall Street Journal
in the weeks leading up to our filing Chap. 11

As the story says, a similar situation played out in 2012; in that case ESL stepped in to guarantee vendor payments. If Eddie doesn't come forward this time around vendors could start withholding shipments, pushing SHLD into bankruptcy. We'll have a better idea of where this is going as the holiday season approaches. This might seem to be the logical time for a radical restructuring of SHLD's portfolio of stores and properties, but Eddie loses control of his real estate holdings if he goes Chapter 11, and that appears to be the last thing he wants to do. Note that it's vendors that are having trouble finding factors for SHLD payments, not SHLD itself.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I predict that if Sears were to go under, that most of their locations be sold to other retailers. I have a feeling that Belk or Dillards might buy some locations along with Burlington Coat Factory or Gordman's. Some locations that are under 200,000+ square feet and over 50,000 square feet and occupy one story of space, might be sold to Shopko or Meijer, just like their sister store, Kmart.

EddieJ1984

Here is a picture inside the sears at Neshaminy Mall....yeesh.

d_fife

Bay city MI and Enid Ok are closing.

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on October 21, 2014, 12:46:26 PM
so is King of Prussia, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Quote from: MikeRa on October 22, 2014, 07:28:53 AM
Quote from: d_fife on October 21, 2014, 12:46:26 PM
so is King of Prussia, PA

And an actual from-scratch Sears Grand store at Pittsburgh Mills.

jason83080

Saw on the news, the Sears Grand (former Kmart, but it got a nicer renovation and was like an actual Sears store on the inside) in Solon is closing.

http://www.deadanddyingretail.com/2013/03/sears-grand-solon-ohio.html < Nick's write-up of the store, with photos and everything...

TheFugitive

My daughter picked up some screamin' deals at the Century III GOB Sale yesterday.

TheFugitive

Another Sears closing.  Pittsburgh Mills Mall, in the Alle-Kiski Valley northeast of Pittsburgh.
Not even ten years old.

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/6975322-74/sears-store-mills#axzz3Hl4CGwFp

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 31, 2014, 03:58:52 PM
Another Sears closing.  Pittsburgh Mills Mall, in the Alle-Kiski Valley northeast of Pittsburgh.
Not even ten years old.

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/6975322-74/sears-store-mills#axzz3Hl4CGwFp

Already mentioned that store three posts above yours.