Words edited out of songs on the radio

Started by giantsfan2016, July 28, 2019, 08:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

I know there are a list of words that are completely not allowed on the radio, but some stations edit out other words.

When the song "What it's like" by Everlast came out in 1998 Radio 104.1 in Hartford was owned by Clear Channel. (Predecessor to iHeart Radio). They edited out the word "Whore." In 2009 the station returned to the air owned by the independently owned Full Power Radio. They still play this song from time to time and the word "Whore" is not edited out.

"Heart of Glass by Blondie." Every station I've heard this song on edits out the words "pain in the ass." -  WZMX back when they were Disco formatted Z-93.7 in 1999, 96.5 TIC-FM when they used to have their all 80s weekend, Lite 100.5, Kiss 95.7 when they used to do "Wayback Wednesdays", and WDRC-FM when they used to be Oldies "102.9 The Big D". Now Kool Radio the Oldies Station owned by Full Power Radio plays it with the words "pain in the ass" in tact.

The now defunct Real 106.1 in Philly, which played Throwback Hip-hop and was owned by i-Heart Radio played a heavily edited version of "What's your Fantasy" by Ludacris. They play that song on Hot 93.7 in Hartford and while some parts of the song are edited, it's not as heavily edited as it was on 106.1 FM. Hot 93.7 was owned by CBS (now Entercom).

And tonite I was listening online to a station called Super 1360-AM out of New Jersey. They played "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars and they edited out the words "damn" and "liquor" among others words. Super 1360-AM is a stange station. During the day they run Spanish Language Programming. (I think they pay the station for the airtime) and at night they play a wide variety of music from Oldies to Dance to Hip-Hop to Country interspersed with what are supposed to be humorous voiceovers and announcements to buy airtime to host your own show.

TheFugitive

Probably the biggest example is Dire Straits' Money for Nothing
where the term "little f*ggot" is edited out almost everywhere these days.

Also The Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner exists in two versions.  In the radio
cut the words "funky sh*t" are replaced by "funky kicks".

shore72

Not on the radio, but I thought it was funny: I stumbled upon a K-tel (or similar) disco compilation album that included "Play that funky music" by Wild Cherry. Amazing: they edited out the words "white boy"! It sounded quite stilted, I guess you'd say, with that line missing. I'm thinking it may have been an old radio edit?

TheFugitive

Quote from: shore72 on July 29, 2019, 09:45:42 PM
Not on the radio, but I thought it was funny: I stumbled upon a K-tel (or similar) disco compilation album that included "Play that funky music" by Wild Cherry. Amazing: they edited out the words "white boy"! It sounded quite stilted, I guess you'd say, with that line missing. I'm thinking it may have been an old radio edit?

Wild Cherry was from Steubenville, Ohio (part of the Greater Pittsburgh Metro Area).
That line was played on the radio from the day that song first charted.  I have never heard
an edited version.

Story was that they were a rock-and-roll group who was playing at the Dancer Club,
an underage bar that used to exist just across the bridge in Weirton, West Virginia.
Some black patrons came up to them and said "You guys are pretty good, but damn,
you need to be playing some funky music, White Boys!"  It was good natured, nothing
at all racist about it.