Lidl Acquiring 27 Best Market Stores In New York, New Jersey

Started by retailisking, November 16, 2018, 12:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Will the one in Newington, Connecticut just close then? They have 28 stores all together including Newington and the article says LIDL is buying 27 of them.

retailisking

Quote from: Brammy on November 16, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
Will the one in Newington, Connecticut just close then? They have 28 stores all together including Newington and the article says LIDL is buying 27 of them.
Newington wasn't acquired in the transaction, so I assume it will close or be sold separately. Are there any issues with Newington that might make it less attractive to a buyer? Superficially, at least, it seems like a decent store. Maybe the competition is just too tough with Stew Leonard's and Aldi in town. Newington is also somewhat of a geographical outlier with respect to the other locations.
https://bestmarket.com/stores/newington/

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on November 16, 2018, 02:07:36 PM
Newington wasn't acquired in the transaction, so I assume it will close or be sold separately. Are there any issues with Newington that might make it less attractive to a buyer? Superficially, at least, it seems like a decent store. Maybe the competition is just too tough with Stew Leonard's and Aldi in town. Newington is also somewhat of a geographical outlier with respect to the other locations.

Newington is very different in demographics from the Long Island stores, and the CT market is very saturated with Stop and Shop, and the main New England chains like Big Y, Price Chopper and also the NJ based ShopRite. What a blow to that plaza. We finally got them to open there 5 years ago and now who knows what will happen?! Unless they have a plan for the store. I was hoping a Geisslers or Highland Park would consider buying Best out. Maybe that could happen. It has been proven that the location of the store does very well despite the fact Best Market never knew how to cater to this area.

RoleModel

Quote from: AmesNewington on November 16, 2018, 05:21:22 PM
Quote from: retailisking on November 16, 2018, 02:07:36 PM

Newington is very different in demographics from the Long Island stores, and the CT market is very saturated with Stop and Shop, and the main New England chains like Big Y, Price Chopper and also the NJ based ShopRite.

Long Island is basically a three-chain race. Stop & Shop (also #1 here), Shoprite and King Kullen. Best Market acquired a whole bunch of ex-Pathmark/Waldbaums to establish their store base here, I have to imagine Best Market thought things weren't going to get much better competing against Stop & Shop and ShopRite. Stop & Shop plans to remodel their stores on LI soon similarly to how the Connecticut stores just did, and ShopRite just opened a few new stores.

FitchMike26

I can't find a thread for Lidl itself, so I'm posting this here.

Lidl's first Pennsylvania store will open December 5th in Ridley, Delaware County.

More info here: http://www2.philly.com/philly/business/real_estate/commercial/lidl-ridley-folsom-philadelphia-german-grocer-20181120.html

TheFugitive

I drove by a Lidl store in Virginia recently.

Did not have time to stop, but it was very cool looking.