Main Menu

Recent posts

Department Stores / Re: Big Lots
Last post by Retail Regents - April 04, 2024, 08:04:04 AM
Knowing Big Lots has ordered carts with the Odd Lots name as late as 1999, I cannot say for certain that this basket is actually that old!

P.S. This store actually used to have late 1990s Big Lots/Odd Lots US&W carts. It appears that co-branding lasted until the exclamation point era.
Current Restaurants / Re: Ground Round
Last post by Zayre88 - April 03, 2024, 07:46:29 PM
Well Ground Round is almost defunct. Bangor Maine's locations has closed lately. Augusta has dropped the Ground Round name.

Ground Round'S website no longer exists.

There could be only 3 locations left in ND and Ohio.
Last post by BillyGr - April 03, 2024, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on April 03, 2024, 03:27:38 PMFound these baskets in the Amsterdam, NY store. Not sure where they came from, but they appeared fairly recently. A little bit on the plain side too.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Odd Lots was their original name back in the 1980's (they began around Columbus, OH) and they only used the name for a time and only in that area (since other Odd Lots chains existed elsewhere).

So likely a really old basket that somehow wandered from OH to NY State :)
Last post by Retail Regents - April 03, 2024, 03:27:38 PM
Found these baskets in the Amsterdam, NY store. Not sure where they came from, but they appeared fairly recently. A little bit on the plain side too.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Ames / Re: Ames Returning in 2023?
Last post by Retail Regents - April 03, 2024, 03:18:24 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on April 03, 2024, 12:07:48 PMThe Ames Stores website is back up and is claiming that they are planning to open 35 stores with SEVEN distribution centers.   That's ludicrous.  No way you would need that many for a 35-store chain and you'd go broke operating them all.

My guess is that this is a grad student project about disinformation or misinformation and how it can effectively be spread.

As long as there are gullible people reporting on it and talking about it, the longer I see this psyop continuing.
Last post by TheFugitive - April 03, 2024, 12:07:48 PM
The Ames Stores website is back up and is claiming that they are planning to open 35 stores with SEVEN distribution centers.   That's ludicrous.  No way you would need that many for a 35-store chain and you'd go broke operating them all.

My guess is that this is a grad student project about disinformation or misinformation and how it can effectively be spread.
Last post by Retail Regents - April 03, 2024, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: TheFugitive on April 03, 2024, 11:05:56 AMI've had no fewer than TEN acquaintances in the past week tell me "Did you hear that Ames is coming back and opening 35 stores?"

If I'm right and this is all some mass psychology experiment by some grad students it's been a wildly successful one.

I would not be surprised if Grand Union's actual revival played a role in this psychological experiment. They must have known about it, and decided it would be grand to fool those who knew about the Grand Union revival into believing Ames would also be revived.
Last post by TheFugitive - April 03, 2024, 11:05:56 AM
I've had no fewer than TEN acquaintances in the past week tell me "Did you hear that Ames is coming back and opening 35 stores?"

If I'm right and this is all some mass psychology experiment by some grad students it's been a wildly successful one.
And the trespassing continues even as they are tearing it down.

https://www.wtae.com/article/century-iii-mall-demolition-trespassers/60349428

Old news regarding the liquidation of the Seneca Falls store, but all of their stores are supposed to close by mid-2024 (this year).

https://www.fltimes.com/business/real-deals-seneca-falls-is-closing-its-doors/article_afe5211c-b39e-11ed-90de-7f930b36dbba.html