Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I can't wait to see what they will do to the Fenn Road S&S in Newington this summer. It still has the 2005 design.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 12, 2013, 05:20:44 AM
I can't wait to see what they will do to the Fenn Road S&S in Newington this summer. It still has the 2005 design.

They finally redesigning the Newington one? Haven't been in that store in years!

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on June 12, 2013, 06:41:11 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on June 12, 2013, 05:20:44 AM

They finally redesigning the Newington one? Haven't been in that store in years!

Someone who works there told me they are remodeling the store this summer.

RoleModel

They're remodeling my store on LI, adding a pick-up service where the floral department and greenhouse used to be.

standa

http://www.ack.net/StopShopgrandopening062913.htm

Is this the smallest Stop & Shop, at 12,000 sq. ft.

paul3124

Nantucket Harbor Stop & Shop isn't the chain's smallest store.  That honor goes to the Vineyard Haven Stop & Shop which at 9,300 sq.ft. is the smallest.

BillyGr

And S&S already has the only other supermarket on Nantucket Island.

This downtown store was an A&P before they pulled out of MA, which is when Grand Union took it over.

Seems kind of odd that they would even be allowed to take it over (you'd think the govt rules would want a second operator to prevent a monopoly)?

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on July 05, 2013, 05:23:14 PM
And S&S already has the only other supermarket on Nantucket Island.

This downtown store was an A&P before they pulled out of MA, which is when Grand Union took it over.

Seems kind of odd that they would even be allowed to take it over (you'd think the govt rules would want a second operator to prevent a monopoly)?

That begs the question as to whether any other supermarket operator was interested in operating on the island.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bdubs on June 06, 2013, 08:56:22 PM
If you ever went to the Wethersfield Stop & Shop pre-remodel a couple years ago, youd think the company forgot about this store. Their facade was so old, the video rental slot was still on the front of the building WITH the sign still above it!

Is that the Jordan Lane Shopping Center location? What is in the old Bladlee's/ Railroad Stores location?

ynkeesfn82

I stopped at the one in New Britain yesterday they had a couple signs that said "Pardon our Appearance While We Remodel."

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 09, 2013, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: Bdubs on June 06, 2013, 08:56:22 PM
If you ever went to the Wethersfield Stop & Shop pre-remodel a couple years ago, youd think the company forgot about this store. Their facade was so old, the video rental slot was still on the front of the building WITH the sign still above it!

Is that the Jordan Lane Shopping Center location? What is in the old Bladlee's/ Railroad Stores location?

The old plaza had a railroad store? i remember a bradlees and stop and shop only.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 10, 2013, 02:26:50 PM
I stopped at the one in New Britain yesterday they had a couple signs that said "Pardon our Appearance While We Remodel."

I hope Newington Fenn Road follows soon. I'm thinking the former Newington Shaw's S&S will be gone within the next year if Best Market is a big hit.

RoleModel

The remodel in my LI store is not complete yet, they still haven't put a large portion of the decor up, and they're in the process of adding a fourth row of freezers and massively rearranging the aisles.

Quote from: AmesNewington on July 10, 2013, 07:19:43 PM
Quote from: Marc B on July 10, 2013, 02:26:50 PM

I hope Newington Fenn Road follows soon. I'm thinking the former Newington Shaw's S&S will be gone within the next year if Best Market is a big hit.

Best Market is good, but they do not have the muscle to beat Stop & Shop. You can't quite accomplish a full shopping trip there, it's like IGA or another similar small grocery store.

retailisking

This announcement comes a week after Shaw's decided to close six underperforming stores in the Granite State. I never knew why S&S bothered continuing to build after Exeter flopped as badly as it did. Hannaford is a likely candidate to take over Exeter, as their nearest stores are in Hampton and Portsmouth. Then again, Market Basket has been trying to build a larger store in Stratham...should be interesting!
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/stop-shop-pull-out-new-hampshire
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130806/NEWS02/130809527
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130806-NEWS-130809835
http://milford-nh.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/nh-shoppers-are-going-to-miss-stop--shop
http://www.wmur.com/news/money/stop-shop-closing-its-nh-stores/-/9857662/21350640/-/g3eo2/-/index.html

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on August 06, 2013, 04:47:12 PM
Mom had time to kill in-between 2 doctor's appointments in New Britain, CT this afternoon so we stopped at the New Britain Stop & Shop to pick up a few things. - Yikes! Even though it was recently updated the store is still a pit. They should've bought the empty Shaw's down the street.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130806-NEWS-130809835

WHY IS STOP AND SHOP CLOSING All in NH?? First shaws now this?

paul3124

Stop and Shop was on the TV news today.  The report said all 6 of the stores in NH would close at 9 pm today instead of next month.  Stop and Shop never really caught on in NH.  Even with Shaw's in decline, their business never picked up, it all went to Hannaford and market Basket, the latter having opened 4 new locations in NH and replaced at least 3 older stores with new stores.  MB also has plans underway in Plymouth and Conway..  The S+S stores are all new construction, so someone will likely buy the leases and bring employees back to work.

paul3124

Sorry, Market Basket opened 5 new locations in NH, Bedford, Hooksett, Manchester, Epping (right near wal-mart supercenter), and Swanzey

Joeg

I think Wal Mart may pick up some locations and maybe turn them into Neighborhood Markets??

d_fife

Quote from: paul3124 on August 16, 2013, 09:46:50 PM
Stop and Shop was on the TV news today.  The report said all 6 of the stores in NH would close at 9 pm today instead of next month.  Stop and Shop never really caught on in NH.  Even with Shaw's in decline, their business never picked up, it all went to Hannaford and market Basket, the latter having opened 4 new locations in NH and replaced at least 3 older stores with new stores.  MB also has plans underway in Plymouth and Conway..  The S+S stores are all new construction, so someone will likely buy the leases and bring employees back to work.

I went to the stop and shop sales in Bedford and both in MAnchester on Fri and ALMOST NOTHING was left. what went wrong with STop and Shop in northern NEw england. remember what happened in Vermont. What will replace those Stop and Shops?

yah they want to put a Market Basket in my town, Plymouth near the new relocated Mcdonalds and 2 miles from my house. What will happen in Conway as Shaws and Hannaford are already there. I bet MArket BAsket will relocate into the Kmart in Portsmouth.

retailisking

Quote from: d_fife on August 18, 2013, 12:55:29 AM
I went to the stop and shop sales in Bedford and both in MAnchester on Fri and ALMOST NOTHING was left. what went wrong with STop and Shop in northern NEw england. remember what happened in Vermont. What will replace those Stop and Shops?

yah they want to put a Market Basket in my town, Plymouth near the new relocated Mcdonalds and 2 miles from my house. What will happen in Conway as Shaws and Hannaford are already there. I bet MArket BAsket will relocate into the Kmart in Portsmouth.

Stop & Shop are union, so they couldn't compete with Hannaford or Market Basket (or even Shaw's, whose NH stores are non-union) on price. Boar's Head aside, they also couldn't establish an upscale niche to compensate for their higher cost structure. Stop & Shop has been in and out of NH multiple times throughout its history; Ahold apparently thought it would be different this time, but no. One very astute comment I've come across, which is really common sense but bears repeating, is that expansions like Stop & Shop's into New Hampshire were borne of optimistic projections of growth that never quite materialized due in part to the recession. The economic downturn seems to have caused a fundamental shift in shopping behavior that hasn't altered during four years of recovery (such as it is.) That realization has prompted Stop & Shop and Shaw's to pull out of overly competitive situations where they don't see any hope of a turnaround.

Hannaford has stated that they have no interest in any of the closing Shaw's or Stop & Shop stores in New Hampshire; I have my doubts. I can't believe they wouldn't want to enter the Milford or Exeter markets, for example. Hannaford is funny, though; they seem to have no interest in competing with Shaw's in the North Country, but I think they would thrive there. Maybe they're just waiting out Shaw's, but with only Walmart and a smattering of independents there isn't much competition for food dollars.

Is there enough business to support three major supermarkets in Conway? Shaw's would seem to be the odd supermarket out in that situation. Biddeford suddenly seems kind of vulnerable too.

I can't see why Market Basket wouldn't want the larger Kmart space in Portsmouth. The question becomes, what will fill the Market Basket space if they move?

RoleModel

Is this why Stop & Shop tends to look better in the NY area - because almost everyone else is union as well (except the usual suspects)? I don't think the union infrastructure is entirely the cause of Stop & Shop failing in NH - surely the economy of scale Ahold has as compared to Market Basket would let them compete if Ahold wanted to? Or is Ahold too complacent, caught between its investors and a hard place?

Joeg

Probably a little bit of both.

ynkeesfn82

Stop & Shop at 1245 Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut is closing on  October 10th. The one at 2335 Dixwell Avenue will remain open.

http://www.wtnh.com/news/new-haven-cty/stop-shop-closing-hamden-store

Joeg

Not surprised there... I think you will see more Stop and Shops in CT and Mass closing.

retailisking

I wouldn't read too much into this closure. Probably the smaller store at Putnam Place with its downscale tenant mix wasn't doing enough volume to justify keeping both of them open and they figure most folks will migrate to the larger S&S at the swankier Marketplace at Hamden just up the road. I don't think S&S is in any danger of massive closures in their core markets.

Joeg

You never know... I think you will see more closings, especially in CT.

retailisking

I'm the farthest thing from a S&S fanboy as you can imagine, but I suspect there are quite a few underperforming supermarkets in CT under various banners. How many Price Choppers have little or no business, for example? Big Y?

Ames Newington

Stop and Shop grew too much. The main problem is that they have a tendency of opening second locations in the same town, some for different reasons. I know Bristol must have been on their own terms, and Waterbury too, because they wanted to cover all points of the two cities. However, I can't really see their reasoning of having the second Newington store. This was one of the locations they bought from Shaw's. Nevertheless, there are too many locations in the same area, and Newington is a smaller town. If they wanted to keep another supermarket from opening there, they should have kept it empty or allowed a different type of retailer to move in. I go to this S&S often, but it is never busy. During the week, they only have 2 regular checkouts and the 4 self checkouts open. The store is huge, so I'm not sure how they are able to maintain so much merchandise when the store must not do much business. I like to go there, because I don't like Price Chopper much, but once Best Market opens, the Kitts Lane S&S will be in trouble. PC will do fine, but I believe there is no longer a need for two S&S stores in Newington. We also have the Wethersfield, Berlin and Elmwood stores close by.

Waldbaum's/Foodmart had multiple locations in the same town many years ago, and look what has happened to Foodmart, down to nothing. These days, S&S is too expensive, and with competitors coming in like ShopRite and hopefully more Best Markets in the coming years to CT, S&S will need to slow down opening new stores and focus on what they have. Other grocers strategically map out where they will open. S&S just wants a store in every town.