Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

There's also this.  How could a closed store join a celebration?  (Read fine print below address of Main St. store)

nysw3636

The NEW Stop & Shop in Hyde Park, NY is scheduled to have their grand opening November 9th....

standa

Here is a photo of the just opened Stop & shop in Wayland, MA (from Businesswire).  It is ironic that just a couple of years after remodeling most of its stores to look a certain way (purple and yellow signs) they changed again.  This look may never make it in most of their current stores, because for the next remodel 7 - 10 years from now, something else will probably come along.

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on November 16, 2012, 08:20:10 AM
Here is a photo of the just opened Stop & shop in Wayland, MA (from Businesswire).  It is ironic that just a couple of years after remodeling most of its stores to look a certain way (purple and yellow signs) they changed again.  This look may never make it in most of their current stores, because for the next remodel 7 - 10 years from now, something else will probably come along.

Their "super" stores are coming up to the point where they're going to get remodeled, and this is more fitting than the purple and yellow decor for those stores.

retailisking

JoshAustin610

It looks like they're now using the exact same sign package as Giant-PA; that Patch article is also the same as the press releases Giant sends out when a new store opens (they're basically form letters where they just change the names and dates).

Whoser

Anybody recall two Stop & Shop's in Groton CT, open at the same time?

Joeg

I think they both opened in 1962.

Bdubs

Quote from: Whoser on December 06, 2012, 08:08:07 PM
Anybody recall two Stop & Shop's in Groton that were open at the same time?
And they were only down the road from each other.  One was a traditional store, and the other one (which is still open) is a super stop & shop.   The little one has been demolished and is now a Big Y.

Whoser

I knew I remembered there being two stores. Are there any pictures of the former S&S location (Where Big Y) is now?

CTAmeshopper

Our Stop & Shop near High St. is fully remodeled, I heard rumors that they're doing to demolish the former Taco Bell that has been there since the early 1990s. What they're supposed to replace it with is a Stop & Shop Gas Station. Unfortunately it looks like they're waiting for a new tenant to take the space. I guess the gas station is on hold. 

This annoys me!

Joeg

I stand corrected, the first Stop and Shop opened in April 1959 in New London, CT and the second one opened in Groton CT, sometime in 1962.

retailisking

Stop & Shop will now have two supermarkets in the city where the chain was founded in 1914
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/02/johnnies-in-teele-sq-to-be-stop-shop.html

ynkeesfn82

After moving merchandise around last summer, the 9 year old Stop & Shop on Farmington Avenue in Bristol, CT is getting an interior facelift. New floors, new wall boards, and other stuff.

AmesNewington

When will Fenn Road Newington be next? It's getting dumpy.

ynkeesfn82

Don't know, but they're also painting the walls inside the Farmington Avenue Bristol store new colors, installing new fixtures, and in places putting faux bricks on the walls.

Bdubs

My how time flies. I coordinated the closing of that old Bristol store when they opened up the new one.  Always loved closing stores, it was tough work, but was a fun experience. 

ynkeesfn82

Continuing with the updates on the Farmington Avenue store in Bristol - they moved the Floral Dept from right near the entrance closest to the Dorothy Road right by the entrance closest to Dress Barn. When you go in that entrance in the lobby is the bottle room, then the shopping carts. In the store Dunkin Donuts is on the right and the new Floral Dept is on the left. They have plastic sheeting covering the area where the Floral Dept used to be. Also it looks like they're moving the bread aisle to the last aisle (#26 I think) which used to be the Natural Food Aisle. The bread aisle used to in the center of the store with the Frozen Food. Before they redid the Pine Street Bristol (Forestville) store and in the old Farmington Avenue Stop & Shop (now TJ Maxx/Savers) the Bread was in the last aisle.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on January 27, 2013, 10:29:54 AM
I believe this is a scare tactic put into place by the company, trying to make the unions think "they aren't messing around."  This happens all the time when a contract negotiation comes up.  I worked for Stop & Shop for 10 years and I can remember one time the union cut it so close to the contract deadline that the UFCW had brought in all these big wigs to go in all the stores and hype up all the union employees to rile them up guaranteeing they weren't going to back down and settle for less.  Some people even made signs for the picket lines and had them in their cars.  Just a pissing match between corporation and union.

Unfortunately, I believe the union is also a reason why Stop & Shop's prices are so high.

New contract approved.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/national/article_fe3778e6-8a4c-11e2-a982-001a4bcf887a.html

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on March 03, 2013, 02:10:33 PM
Continuing with the updates on the Farmington Avenue store in Bristol - they moved the Floral Dept from right near the entrance closest to the Dorothy Road right by the entrance closest to Dress Barn. When you go in that entrance in the lobby is the bottle room, then the shopping carts. In the store Dunkin Donuts is on the right and the new Floral Dept is on the left. They have plastic sheeting covering the area where the Floral Dept used to be. Also it looks like they're moving the bread aisle to the last aisle (#26 I think) which used to be the Natural Food Aisle. The bread aisle used to in the center of the store with the Frozen Food. Before they redid the Pine Street Bristol (Forestville) store and in the old Farmington Avenue Stop & Shop (now TJ Maxx/Savers) the Bread was in the last aisle.

Where was the Farmington Avenue store... was that the one in Unionville??

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 22, 2013, 10:57:46 AM
Quote from: Marc B on March 03, 2013, 02:10:33 PM

Where was the Farmington Avenue store... was that the one in Unionville??

The Farmington Ave S&S was at the opposite end of the strip mall its currently in. TJ Maxx and Savers occupies the former S&S. S&S is in the space of the former Bradlees.

ynkeesfn82

Work continues in The Bristol Stop & Shop on Farmington Avenue. They have new Aisle signs and a new bottle redemption room. The new bottle redemption room is opposite from the old one. They knocked down a wall to make it. Don't know what they're planning on doing with the old bottle redemption room. They still haven't done anything with the old Floral Department. It's still surrounded by a plastic tarp.

ynkeesfn82

More than a month since my last post and they're still not done with the work at the Farmington Avenue Stop & Shop in Bristol. The area where the floral department used to be is a seasonal merchandise area now. It looks like they might be putting in a Food Court. There's a new partially enclosed area on the left hand side when you come in the Dress Barn entrance and there's tables and chairs in there. Whatever it is, it's not finished.

ynkeesfn82

Looks like they're almost finished with the remodel of the Bristol Stop & Shop. It looks nice. And they put in a cafe area with free wifi.

Bdubs

If you ever went to the Wethersfield Stop & Shop pre-remodel a couple years ago, youd think the company forgot about this store. Their facade was so old, the video rental slot was still on the front of the building WITH the sign still above it!

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on June 06, 2013, 08:56:22 PM
If you ever went to the Wethersfield Stop & Shop pre-remodel a couple years ago, youd think the company forgot about this store. Their facade was so old, the video rental slot was still on the front of the building WITH the sign still above it!

Growing up in that area, I still remember when it was the old Stop and Shop and Bradlees before they torn it down to build what it is now. I think when they opened, it was the first with that design around the area.

MikeRa

Quote from: standa on November 16, 2012, 08:20:10 AM
GIANT (PA) is now using the same decor packaging that Stop & Shop is using:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

That's some of what they did to the Bristol, Connecticut Stop & Shop on Route 6.