Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
I have been to the "new" Stop and Shop in Newington, CT in the former Shaw's. I call this store "Stop and Shaw's". The store really has not changed much at all. The store got a new paint job, signage, and registers. Almost everything is in the same locations as they were in Shaw's. The floors are all the same. All of the departments are in their respective spots. At times, you have to think about what store you are shopping. I think it's because S&S wanted to get this location open quickly and want to see how well the store does before doing any further changes.

They also STILL don't have a salad bar in the store. I have no idea why. Basically, this is like a continuation of Shaw's with Stop and Shop items. It's not bad though for a quick transition store. The bulk of the Stop and Shop staff are former Shaw's employees, with a few extra employees mixed in throughout each department. It's nice to have a part of Shaw's stick around.

PICTURES TO COME.

I think over time they will rebuild how they want it to look and yes it looks justjust like shaws. My mother told me that the Stop and Shop in Wethersfield (up the street) doesnt have the new signs yet. I havent seen this store this packed in a while, alot of employees and alot of customers. While S&S does have higher prices, i think many dont care for that. One hing i did notice is they have music over the loud speakers and other things (which shaws didnt have).

standa

I went to the Hamden, CT Stop & Shop (southern part of town).  I noticed that its remodel featured yellow/ beige walls instead of white as other new look stores I saw.  Also, some cash registers were removed in the front, leaving an open space with patio furniture near the entrance.  Do you know other Stop & Shops remodeled in this way?

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 18, 2010, 11:49:06 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on April 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
I have been to the "new" Stop and Shop in Newington, CT in the former Shaw's. I call this store "Stop and Shaw's". The store really has not changed much at all. The store got a new paint job, signage, and registers. Almost everything is in the same locations as they were in Shaw's. The floors are all the same. All of the departments are in their respective spots. At times, you have to think about what store you are shopping. I think it's because S&S wanted to get this location open quickly and want to see how well the store does before doing any further changes.

They also STILL don't have a salad bar in the store. I have no idea why. Basically, this is like a continuation of Shaw's with Stop and Shop items. It's not bad though for a quick transition store. The bulk of the Stop and Shop staff are former Shaw's employees, with a few extra employees mixed in throughout each department. It's nice to have a part of Shaw's stick around.

PICTURES TO COME.

I think over time they will rebuild how they want it to look and yes it looks justjust like shaws. My mother told me that the Stop and Shop in Wethersfield (up the street) doesnt have the new signs yet. I havent seen this store this packed in a while, alot of employees and alot of customers. While S&S does have higher prices, i think many dont care for that. One hing i did notice is they have music over the loud speakers and other things (which shaws didnt have).

TRU, the Wethersfield S&S will indeed be getting a remodel this year, so I suppose they are waiting to change the sign until then.

TRU7536

Quote from: standa on April 18, 2010, 09:23:50 PM
I went to the Hamden, CT Stop & Shop (southern part of town).  I noticed that its remodel featured yellow/ beige walls instead of white as other new look stores I saw.  Also, some cash registers were removed in the front, leaving an open space with patio furniture near the entrance.  Do you know other Stop & Shops remodeled in this way?

The Newington Store which just opened has those same colors.

Bdubs

It appears Wethersfield Stop & Shop is finally getting their much needed remodel.  Within the next couple of weeks, they are going to begin the process.

Rocky Hill Stop & Shop just changed over to their new signs only a couple weeks ago.  This for some reason was one of the stores converted fairly late compared to the surrounding stores.  Wethersfield being the exception of course.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on May 03, 2010, 10:21:21 PM
It appears Wethersfield Stop & Shop is finally getting their much needed remodel.  Within the next couple of weeks, they are going to begin the process.

They began redoing the Pine Street Store in Bristol (Forestville) a few weeks ago. They started moving stuff around and now they're doing "major" stuff.

ynkeesfn82

I wish they would hurry up and finish this. I can't find anything anymore.  >:(

ynkeesfn82

The Forestville Store is about 98% done. Just need to do some minor cosmetic stuff.

ynkeesfn82

The town of Southington has approved Stop & Shop's $550,000 plans for interior remodel for their North Main Street store. I was wondering if they were gonna remodel this store as it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 years older than the Forestville store that they just finished remodeling.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc82 on December 31, 2009, 08:37:20 PM
Anyway the store in rural Granby, CT still sports the old logo as of 12/24/09.

Granby, CT and Agawam, Mass still have the old signs/logos on their buildings as of 7/18/10. Nohing has changed in the 7 months since my last report in December 09. Went by both stores on the way to my Uncle Al's wake yesterday. (With his passing I guess I won't be going up that way any more). Of note the Agawam store has a Citizen's Bank in it.

CTAmeshopper

Here in Torrington the High Street Stop & Shop is renovated inside and out new signs outside and in. Also, they recently finished the new East Main Street Stop & Shop it's located in the back of Mascarello's near Applebee's.

BTW the original location of the Stop&Shop was where Staples is now, after they left for the current location which I'm guessing is 1991 PriceBuster Foods snatched it up in 1993, and after PriceBuster moved to their East Main Street location now where Big Lots is. Then that spot was taken by Staples.

ynkeesfn82

For the past week they've been doing work at the former Stop & Shop on Farmington Ave in Bristol, CT. 6 years ago they built a new store at the other end of the plaza leaving a vacant spot which first became Job Lot in November 2005 and eventually became a relocated TJ MAXX in 2008 and vacant space. There have been rumors Savers is coming to town. Perhaps this is where it's going to be?

AmesNewington

There's speculation among the locals in Newington, CT that the Shaw's-turned-Stop and Shop off the Turnpike is only temperary until Elmwood/W. Hartford opens in the coming months. Word is the Kitts Lane S&S in Newington will close and employees/operations will be moved to Newington Rd/Route 173 in the new Elmwood plaza. Would this be a logical scenerio???

ynkeesfn82

It's an interesting idea to say the least. I'm not sure what I think except that anything is possible.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 02, 2010, 08:23:50 AM
There's speculation among the locals in Newington, CT that the Shaw's-turned-Stop and Shop off the Turnpike is only temperary until Elmwood/W. Hartford opens in the coming months. Word is the Kitts Lane S&S in Newington will close and employees/operations will be moved to Newington Rd/Route 173 in the new Elmwood plaza. Would this be a logical scenerio???

That would be just a waste of time and money by Stop and Shop.

TRU7536

I dont think they will close the Newington/Turnpike store. Just went today and they are preparing to open Peoples bank. I dont think Peoples would have wasted the time or money to have close a few months down the road.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on October 29, 2010, 07:01:55 PM

I dont think they will close the Newington/Turnpike store. Just went today and they are preparing to open Peoples bank. I dont think Peoples would have wasted the time or money to have close a few months down the road.

I think if anything, this was the answer I was looking for. I found out a week ago.

Caldor1999

heres the old stop & shop in manchester ct when it was still open in 1988 i did alot of digging to find this

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

inside view of the store

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: Caldor1999 on November 18, 2010, 06:06:17 AM
heres the old stop & shop in manchester ct when it was still open in 1988 i did alot of digging to find this

Wow that brings back memories of when Torrington Stop & Shop just opened up I guess around 1990, that's EXACTLY what it looked like!

jmcnamara96

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on November 20, 2010, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on November 18, 2010, 06:06:17 AM

Wow that brings back memories of when Torrington Stop & Shop just opened up I guess around 1990, that's EXACTLY what it looked like!

makes you wish they didnt paint them

retailisking

We all know that Stop & Shop flopped in Maine, and folded in Vermont before they opened in Rutland, but what about New Hampshire?  From most informal reports Stop & Shop isn't doing much business there, and from what I can tell there's no sign of them expanding in the Granite State.  They closed the former A&P in Peterborough a couple of years ago, and it's hard to imagine S&S holding market share with Market Basket's impending assault on Manchester, the one market in NH where Stop & Shop has a substantial presence.  In the 90s Stop & Shop exited New Hampshire after they bought Purity.  With A&P now up for grabs in markets where Ahold has a much stronger presence, are we about to see history repeat itself in NH?  I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out to Delhaize (Hannaford) sooner rather than later.

standa

standa

Part of the Waterbury Shaw's is scheduled to become Sav-A-Lot.

retailisking

Quote from: standa on January 14, 2011, 10:28:08 PM
Stop & Shop may open in former New Haven, CT Shaw's.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2011/01/14/news/new_haven/doc4d30b398094c3393302314.txt

I've been following the Whalley Avenue Shaw's situation since SVU announced they were getting out.  Looks like a high-risk situation for S&S to me; I wonder why they would want to get involved.  And people wonder why we have food deserts...

standa

There has been some mystery with New Haven supermarkets in the past few years.  For example C-Town which has currently two stores in the Fair Haven  and Hill neighborhoods opened a store a few years ago on Dixwell Av. , near the Shaw's.  This was a location which went through many short lived supermarkets through the decades and periods of vacancy.  The C-Town lasted only one or two years, I believe.  Shortly before Shaw's announced its closing, it was discussed that Sav-A-Lot wished to open in a former Rite Aid or Staples a little south of Shaw's.  Residents were confused why Supervalu wanted stores so close to each other.  I believe that the project was not approved.  While this was happening, New Haven told everyone that a supermarket was expected to open on the first floor of the new downtown building at 360 State St., never mentioning the name.  Whole Foods and Trader Joe were approached but not interested.

After Shaw's announced the closing of the New Haven store, it appeared that no one wanted to buy it, and the 360 State store was still a mystery.  Not long after that, a food coop was announced for 360 State Street (it will open this summer), and I read that Shoprite was the mystery chain supposed to open there, but it backed out after Shaw's closed.  I don't understand why.  It only would have made sense if they opened a store in the Shaw's of New Haven space.   However they expressed no interest, when asked by a journalist, and opened a store instead the former Hamden Shaw's.

My guess is that the New Haven store was expensive security wise and they wanted to encourage New Haveners to shop at their Hamden store instead.  This store is actually much busier than the Shaw's there previously, although the nearby Stop & Shop is also still busy.

Stop & Shop appears to be a chain more willing to take risks than Shoprite.  I know that an inner city store in Providence was open for only a short time (I think still empty), as was a Shaw's there (now a large upscale, Pricerite).
They may feel that if Shoprite of Hamden attracts people from New Haven, a Stop & Shop very close to them would encourage them to be Stop & Shop customers. 

Hamden has two Stop & Shops and New Haven, with twice the population, only one.  Therefore there would be customers for sure.

retailisking

I'm surprised that PriceRite didn't jump at this vacancy, as it seems to appeal to a budget-oriented, inner-city clientele, but then I read the various stories about the city chasing Save-A-Lot away (which came two months before the Shaw's closing announcement) and the various comments about what people should be eating, where their food should come from, etc. and I figured that PriceRite was wise to pass on this 'opportunity.'  Well, I guess we should admire Ahold for its bravery if nothing else...