Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcnamara96

i was at the trift store and got a older stop and shop bag with light logo on it

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Stop & Shop on North Main Street in Southington has shut down the in-store Dunkin Donuts permanently. I don't shop there regularly, but I know it had to have closed fairly recently because my mom was at the store before Christmas and it was still open. The store is now offering fresh hot coffee free of chage for it's customers until 4PM.

I just went to the Newington S&S and the same thing. Dunkin Donuts just disappeared. In it's place is a display of chips.

BTW, the Newington store has become sort of run-down. The floors (even though it's winter) are extremely filthy going beyond cleaning. They are just plain old worn. With the volume of business this store does, I think it's time for another update, especially since DD is gone. They should move the bakery to the produce/deli area and move Natural Foods to the other end of the store where the Bakery is. Same concept like the Berlin and Bristol stores. For a store that was so well mantained in it's past years, it has changed and not for the better.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by DerangedHermit
QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I just went to the Newington S&S and the same thing. Dunkin Donuts just disappeared. In it's place is a display of chips.

This is what they did with the closed Starbucks in the Holbrook, NY store, and the closed pharmacy in the Sayville store.

QuoteBTW, the Newington store has become sort of run-down. The floors (even though it's winter) are extremely filthy going beyond cleaning. They are just plain old worn. With the volume of business this store does, I think it's time for another update, especially since DD is gone. They should move the bakery to the produce/deli area and move Natural Foods to the other end of the store where the Bakery is. Same concept like the Berlin and Bristol stores. For a store that was so well mantained in it's past years, it has changed and not for the better.

What kind of remodel job did it have? Is it the 2003-ish to 2008 job they did? (attached picture from earlier posts at bottom) I have a feeling they're holding off most of those stores for last, while they remodel older stores first.

The Newington store was last remodeled in early 2005. The floral department looks like the photo you posted. However, the age of this store, combined with it's high volume of traffic and business, I figure it would be in the running for some "cleaning up" As I said earlier, this store has gotten dirty and unkept. They at least need a new floor. I never understood why they never located the bakery where all of the other fresh departments were. Now with DD gone, that whole area is awkward looking.

On another note, the Wethersfield CT store on the Berlin Turnpike, on the Hartford line is even older looking. They might still have the produce cases from the 90s.

You are absolutely right. They will eventually get to these area stores, but I can't imagine that a store that does so well slipped like this. Same with Wethersfield. It's not like they are located in isolated areas.  

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Super Stop & Shop; Torrington, CT. 3-9-07.

Road pylon. This plaza's kind of isolated and the facade is bizarre and features an off-mall grounds JCPenney anchor (one of the few if only in CT).

you can see alot of label scars i see Hit or Miss!

gu4ever

A classic Stop & Shop sign awaiting replacement on the Revere, MA store.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

On route 1 in Saugus, MA sits a newly remodeled Stop & Shop store.

gu4ever

The Stop & Shop in Saugus, MA. It's renovations have made it very purple now..........

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The Stop & Shop in Saugus, MA. It's renovations have made it very purple now..........

That's what Newington CT's store looks like. It has the "low prices, great food" slogan as well. The New Britain store does not have the slogan, but has the new logo.

Whoser

Waterford CT's Stop & Shop Signage has changed, but nothing of the Facade was remodeled. I was hoping it'd be changed to look like the Groton or East Lyme store.

gu4ever

A classic Stop&Shop sign in woburn, MA waits for it's new replacement sign.

gu4ever

The former Stop&Shop supermarket in Danvers, MA.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The former Stop&Shop supermarket in Danvers, MA.

Wow. Did it look like that as an S&S?

Marc82

That was the look they were giving Stop & Shop's built in the early part of last Decade. The one on Farmington Ave in Bristol built in 2004 looks like that.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
That was the look they were giving Stop & Shop's built in the early part of last Decade. The one on Farmington Ave in Bristol built in 2004 looks like that.

When and why did it close?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

When and why did it close?

According to a thread titled "Short-Lived/Abandoned Grocery Stores" The Danvers Stop & Shop pictured above opened in 05 and closed in 08. No reason is given. But I think 08 was the same year they built a couple stores in Vermont or New Hampshire but never opened them and sold them instead.

Bdubs

Wethersfield, CT is slated for remodel in May, finally.  That must be one of the few stores left in CT that hasn't been remodeled since the early to mid 90's.  From what the store tells me, the store has been constantly put on the backburner due to financial reasons.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all the DD's are gone out of the S&S's at this point.  Their contracts expired, and were never renewed.  They were going to be replaced with Starbucks, and in some cases, stores which were remodeled or built in the past couple years may have Starbucks, but that company has scaled back as well, and is no longer going forward with placing these in the stores at the moment.

farmingtonvalleymall

Old logo still on the Simsbury, CT store

AmesNewington

I just visited the Newington, CT S&S on Fenn Road and they have replaced Dunkin' Donuts with a self-serve coffee machine on one side and on the other they have created a small "room" with pre-packaged bakery items (Hostess, Drakes, Little Debbie, etc. items).

Caldor1999

heres a stop & shop that never opened in lakegrove ny

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Caldor1999 on March 08, 2010, 04:29:21 PM

Why not these are from the 90s judgeing its sitride nice design is it still vacant

Caldor1999

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on March 08, 2010, 04:30:39 PM

Why not these are from the 90s judgeing its sitride nice design is it still vacant

idk most of the pics from that sight were taken between 1996-2003
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

jmcnamara96

Quote from: DerangedHermit on March 09, 2010, 04:39:11 PM

This can't be Lake Grove. The one that did exist in Lake Grove looked nothing like this, and there are no lots nearby that resemble that. The nearest one that does look like that is open (South Setauket). Where did you get that pic from?

He said Siteride

nims57

Apparently they are now closing their Starbucks too: http://www.patriotledger.com/business/x1080448841/Stop-Shop-and-sister-chain-closing-43-in-store-Starbucks-kiosks

Acme has been closing their Starbucks too. Lots of them have been replaced with Seattle's Best Coffee (which Borders Books has too).

TRJ22487

There was a Stop & Shop in Keene, NH that closed in the early 90's and was demolished. It was pretty far away from the rest of the shopping district in Keene, all the way down West Street, then past Keene High School. I believe it existed for around 20 years, but like I said demolished in the early 90's, a picture probably will never surface.
Have there been many closed S&S stores?
Also it struck me that every supermarket in Keene, NH closed in the early 90's to become something else
Stop & Shop
Edward's Supermarket closed to become Toy Works/CVS in the early 90's
IGA closed to become Shaws in the early 90's
Sun Foods closed to become Hannaford in 1995/1996

Marc82

I don't know why, but I always seem to find myself at Stop & Shop even tho there price's aren't always the best. I usually go to the one on Pine Street in the Forestville section of Bristol. It's easier to get to than the one on Farmington Ave (US Route 6). Less traffic. US Route 6 is often a parking lot.  It's about a 12 min drive from where I live to the one in Forestville. Probably the same amount of time to drive to the one on Wolcott Street in Waterbury.

AmesNewington

I have been to the "new" Stop and Shop in Newington, CT in the former Shaw's. I call this store "Stop and Shaw's". The store really has not changed much at all. The store got a new paint job, signage, and registers. Almost everything is in the same locations as they were in Shaw's. The floors are all the same. All of the departments are in their respective spots. At times, you have to think about what store you are shopping. I think it's because S&S wanted to get this location open quickly and want to see how well the store does before doing any further changes.

They also STILL don't have a salad bar in the store. I have no idea why. Basically, this is like a continuation of Shaw's with Stop and Shop items. It's not bad though for a quick transition store. The bulk of the Stop and Shop staff are former Shaw's employees, with a few extra employees mixed in throughout each department. It's nice to have a part of Shaw's stick around.

PICTURES TO COME.

standa

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
I have been to the "new" Stop and Shop in Newington, CT in the former Shaw's. I call this store "Stop and Shaw's". The store really has not changed much at all. The store got a new paint job, signage, and registers. Almost everything is in the same locations as they were in Shaw's. The floors are all the same. All of the departments are in their respective spots. At times, you have to think about what store you are shopping. I think it's because S&S wanted to get this location open quickly and want to see how well the store does before doing any further changes.

They also STILL don't have a salad bar in the store. I have no idea why. Basically, this is like a continuation of Shaw's with Stop and Shop items. It's not bad though for a quick transition store. The bulk of the Stop and Shop staff are former Shaw's employees, with a few extra employees mixed in throughout each department. It's nice to have a part of Shaw's stick around.

PICTURES TO COME.

Are the aisles still short?

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on April 17, 2010, 09:00:28 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on April 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM

PICTURES TO COME.

Are the aisles still short?

YES they are.

AmesNewington

"New" converted Stop and Shop #2613 in Newington, CT (both day and night).

jmcnamara96

They should at least cover that small window with grey vinyal siding like the other