Office Depot closing 400 Stores

Started by ynkeesfn82, May 06, 2014, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Office Depot will close 400 Stores by 2016. This is due to the recent marriage between Office Depot and Office Max.

http://www.courant.com/business/chi-office-depot-closing-400-stores-20140506,0,1602768.story

Stork of The Weak

It's unfortunate that a lot of the classic glass front Office Depot stores will probably be eliminated by this move (on top of the dozens that already have closed over time). Some also have been remodeled into a non-glass design even though Office Depot is usually not one to spend money on store appearances and updates. Also I know of one Office Depot that had the glass front but lost it not per se because Office Depot remodeled the front, but the whole shopping center (with ShopRite as main anchor) had a facade renovation.

TheFugitive

The location at Century Square in West Mifflin, PA is among those slated to close.
As I had mentioned on another thread, this development which was bustling in the
90's is now more than half empty.  Losing Office Depot may prove to be the death blow.

ynkeesfn82

I wonder if Office Max in The Brass Mill Commons in Waterbury, CT will close. If it does there won't be any office supply chain left in the city. There are lots of rumors that the Staples in the Walmart Plaza on Wolcott Street is closing. They close at 7PM which is really early.

Vacant space in a shopping plaza or shopping mall is like a virus. It starts with one and soon spreads throughout the complex.

Like Shoprite Plaza in Waterbury, CT. After years in decline the plaza came back to life around 2003. And up until the beginning of 2013 the plaza was 100% occupied. Then it stared. Casual Male Shutdown. Then this year American Steakhouse Closed. Then Petco just moved to the Brass Mill Commons. Now TJ MAXX is moving to The Brass Mill Commons on May 22nd.

Shoprite, Sleepy's, Royal Buffet, a free-standing Taco Bell, and in a separate building Game Stop sits next to the vacant Casual Male are all that are left. I think Game Stop will close. This is location is across Wolcott Street from another Game Stop. (That one in Walmart Plaza).