Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

HoJofan206

Does anyone know when the Times Square location is to be shut down?  :(

HoJofan206

Does anyone know if FIA even excists anymore? :huh:

HoJofan206

Cendant has ruined the HoJo hotel reputation.

amesman

To answer your questions Hojofan, Times Square is closing by the end of June, and FAI ceased to exist when Springfield, Vt closed on May 15th. And, about Cendant, I agree, they have ruined the hotels, by squaring off the gate lodges, and scrapping everything of originality out of the motor lodges. However, I have found out some good news. It's possible, that a Cendant franchisee, will build a new hotel in Cooperstown, New York, and will include a possible Howard Johnson themed ice cream parlor.

HoJofan206

IT would be great IF they would somehow bring the Howard Johnson's name back from "the dead".  With the current nostalgia kick now would be a great time to bring an old reliable name back. Lets home the Ice Cream Shoppe happens in NY.

HoJofan206

Does anyone know if/how many of the Howard Johnson Ice Cream flavors are still being produced?  If so, where can they be purchased?

amesman

Well, the only Howard Johnson's that serves authentic ice cream that I'm aware of, is the Lake George restaurant. I was there Saturday 6/25 and I had Peppermint Stick and Strawberry. Waterbury, Connecticut may serve authentic ice cream as well. I'm not sure. Currently, there are about 9 original flavors being served at Lake George, and it continues to get less as they run out. Last I heard, trhe Ice Cream Club in Florida was making the ice cream. Now with FAI gone, that may be done with. I do not know. And, if there is ice cream being sold at supermarkets, it may only be supermarkets in Florida, and possibly, but doubtfully, in Georgia.

HoJofan206

My favorite HoJo building design was that of the 1950's and early 1960's.  The ones knows as the "Nims" design after the architect, Rufus Nims.  What was your favorite. :huh:

HoJofan206

My LEAST favorite HoJo design was the last one used corporately in the late 1970's and possibly early 1980's called the Mansard design.  It was very boring and didnt seem very inviting to customers.

amesman

I liked Phase 2 and Phase 3, as I call them.(out of four phases: Phase 1: Colonial. Phase 2: Nims. Phase 3: Concept 65(pictured above with the "T" shape and A Frame style). Phase 4: Mansard).

amesman

Here's a link to the Mystic, Conencticut motor lodge/restaurant. http://www.orangeroof.org/Connecticut/Mystic/mystic1.html

amesman

That Howard Johnson's in The Blues Brothers was at one of the service area "Oasis" buildings on the Illinois Tollway(I-294). All of the old buildings were demolished in 2003 for the new construction of new oasis buildings.

amesman

Also, the only originality at the Waterbury restaurant is the orange roof, beacon cupola(used in the 70's to replace the older weathervane cupola), and dairy counter with the 1950's mirror backdrop(the last one in use). Everything else has been remodeled to give it a diner effect.

HoJofan206

I think (and I could very much so be wrong here) but wasnt the "Concept 65" version of a HoJo's restaurant ONLY used in a few locations.  The only one I know specifically was down in  Texas.  Look at the Texas sites on autoage.org to see what I am talking about.  Most of the T-style restaurants were quite small, but I did like the ones that had the style of Nigara Falls NY and a few other cities.

HoJofan206

Does anyone know of the last year that Howard Johnson's opened new restaurants before being sold in 1980.

HoJofan206

How about some pictures of the Simple Simon and the Pie Man.  Anyone have any of those to post?

HoJofan206

I bet most of the younger guys in here have never even been to a Howard Johnson's to eat.  So sad that an entire generation will never know what it was really like.

amesman

Well, I'm 16, and I've been to Springfield Vermont, Lake George New York, Lake Placid New York, and Times Square.

Also, to answer your first question about Concept 65, it was used in two different designs(the one in the picture above(Plattsburgh, New York). Other locations with this design were in Glens Falls New York, Niagara Falls New York, Nashau New Hampshire, and others. Later versions of this design had a squattier version of the T Shape roofed.

Also, HJ restaurants were last built in 1979.

HoJofan206

Hey, thanks for the informative info Amesman!

amesman

no problem. Any other questions you have, feel free to ask..hehe

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Well, I'm 16, and I've been to Springfield Vermont, Lake George New York, Lake Placid New York, and Times Square.

Also, to answer your first question about Concept 65, it was used in two different designs(the one in the picture above(Plattsburgh, New York). Other locations with this design were in Glens Falls New York, Niagara Falls New York, Nashau New Hampshire, and others. Later versions of this design had a squattier version of the T Shape roofed.

Also, HJ restaurants were last built in 1979.

i just went to the Aubry park location it still has the look but i doubt it still has the orangle food
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

the top was fenced off but u could get too it from the inside
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

the sign looks so beeten up:(
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a better picture
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hear i am with the Ho Jo sign LOL:D
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Cool picture, the same pic is on the orangeroof website at http://orangeroof.org/NewJersey/Restaurants/AsburyPark/asbury10.html

Note the same red Buick parked in the same spot!  And the abandoned building wich has less walls ...

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Cool picture, the same pic is on the orangeroof website at http://orangeroof.org/NewJersey/Restaurants/AsburyPark/asbury10.html

Note the same red Buick parked in the same spot!  And the abandoned building wich has less walls ...

OMG your right about the red Buick parked in the same spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

hjers the picture compire to my picture
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and look at this picture it the same red car lol maby someone who works there owns this car
Caldor Forever!

LazarusFan

Bad news, the Times Square Location is expected to close on July 8th.