* White crown molding over entrance.
* Bright interior.
* Modern.
* Upscale.

What I don't like about the new Toys "R" Us:
* 1/2 taken up by Babies "R" Us.
* Not as colorful as previous designs.

CTAmeshopper

Does anybody have updated pictures of Woburn,Ma store, I wonder what it looks like now. I wish they kept Geoffrey part of the signage, but I guess it wasn't to be.

d_fife

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on August 05, 2010, 06:24:24 PM
Does anybody have updated pictures of Woburn,Ma store, I wonder what it looks like now. I wish they kept Geoffrey part of the signage, but I guess it wasn't to be.

I cant even bear to see the picture.

meganium

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on August 05, 2010, 06:24:24 PM
If someone, somewhere sees a renovation, maybe asking to take that signage home is worth. These signages will be trashed after renovation anyway. :'(

Poor. Woburn´s tradition is completely dead.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

It may not be easy letting go of the past, but let's face it, Toys "R" Us is starting a new chapter of its "childhood." They're no longer the the toy store we grew up with. They are comprised of a few different stores now, including the newly-acquired FAO Schwarz, their Babies "R" Us stores, and their Kids "R" Us stores, which are still co-branded with some larger Toys "R" Us locations (the free-standing KRUs are defunct).

It's best if we get some of these stores immortalized in photograph before their extreme "childhood" makeover begins.

CTAmeshopper

Good advice, no truer words could had been said.

Get pictures while you still can.

ynkeesfn82

And yet another TOYS R US EXPRESS is opening in Connecticut. This time in Southington in Queen Plaza in-between Payless Shoes and Fashion Bug.

Bassbomb91

Does anyone have pictures of the Toys R Us on Cottman and Casor in philadelphia when it still had it's rainbow striped look and the interior before it was converted from Pantry Pride format?

EddieJ1984

I have seen at least 2 toys r us express locations.
Roosevelt Mall - Its either in the same spot kb toys was or very near it. (Interesting since the Toys R Us at Castor and Cottman is near it)
Shopping Center at Welsh and Roosevel Boulavard near 99 restaurant.

Also I second if anyone has pics of the Toys R Us at cottman and castor before they painted it mostly white (the big sign was black back then)

Bassbomb91

Here's a pic of the Toys R Us at Franklin Mills in Philadelphia

It is combined with a Babies R Us. It is a typical 90's TRU store and one of their smaller stores in Philadelphia. There are four Toy's R Us in Philadelphia
1. Aramingo and Ontario in Port Richmond (currently being converted to TRU/BRU combo)
2. 3rd street in south Philly (Was concept 2000 until it was in a fire, now it's a "Time for Childhood"         format as the Caldor Rainbow blog calls it.)

3. Castor and Cottman in Oxford circle (90's variant formally a Food Fair then Pantry Pride)
4. Franklin Mills in Northeast Philly(90's variant)

I am not sure if the Franklin Mills TRU was built in the 90's, but I can never remember it having the rainbow striped castle look.

I will be heading to Castor and Cottman tommorow to get pictures of that TRU.

Bassbomb91

Here is the TRU at Castor and Cottman. The entrance area is very odd. You must walk through the exterior doors and to your left you could walk right into the store if there weren't a bunch of shopping carts and other things blocking your path. Instead you must head about 15 feet right and enter another seeminigly pointless auto door to get into the store proper.

Inside the store

Notice that the Toys R Us still has it's drop ceiling and the "different ceiling height for different sections super market style" from when it was Food Fair/Pantry Pride.

Customer Pickup

This next picture is of the old entrance area:

This has been driving me nuts. In this picture, the large shuttered door you see to the right was once one entrance to the Lit's/Clover/J.C. Penney that was located next to the TRU. I can remember that the former Pantry Pride and the TRU with its rainbow stripes had the doors around here I believe on the back wall. I don't know if I'm dreaming.  If anyone has any pictures of that please post.

TRJ22487

Quote from: Bassbomb91 on August 18, 2010, 12:25:55 AM
Here's a pic of the Toys R Us at Franklin Mills in Philadelphia

I was in Nashua, NH a few weeks ago and noticed that store now has this same look except the Nashua store now has no rainbow pattern at all on the outside. I was upset to see it changed, now both of my childhood Toys R Us' have lost their true look.

MikeRa

Quote from: Bassbomb91 on August 18, 2010, 09:13:33 PM
Here is the TRU at Castor and Cottman. The entrance area is very odd. You must walk through the exterior doors and to your left you could walk right into the store if there weren't a bunch of shopping carts and other things blocking your path. Instead you must head about 15 feet right and enter another seeminigly pointless auto door to get into the store proper.

Inside the store

Notice that the Toys R Us still has it's drop ceiling and the "different ceiling height for different sections super market style" from when it was Food Fair/Pantry Pride.

Customer Pickup

This has been driving me nuts. In this picture, the large shuttered door you see to the right was once one entrance to the Lit's/Clover/J.C. Penney that was located next to the TRU. I can remember that the former Pantry Pride and the TRU with its rainbow stripes had the doors around here I believe on the back wall. I don't know if I'm dreaming.  If anyone has any pictures of that please post.
When this Toys R Us first opened, it used the two org. entrances that Food Fair/Pantry Pride used, this one, and one that was on Cottman Avenue that has since been bricked up, just like over at the abandoned Lit Brothers building that had it's org. outside windows bricked up by Clover
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Bassbomb91

Quote from: MikeRa on September 02, 2010, 05:26:25 AM
Quote from: Bassbomb91 on August 18, 2010, 09:13:33 PM

Inside the store

Customer Pickup

When this Toys R Us first opened, it used the two org. entrances that Food Fair/Pantry Pride used, this one, and one that was on Cottman Avenue that has since been bricked up, just like over at the abandoned Lit Brothers building that had it's org. outside windows bricked up by Clover

Yes. I believe it also made use of the "glass tunnel" thing that Food Fair/Pantry Pride used on the cottman side. I also believe the Cottman doors were placed in such a way that if you entered them and continued to walk on a straight line, you would exit through the other doors in the back under the awning area next to the one Clover entrance (this is backed up because the door scar is visible on google maps) However it also looks like there was another set of doors or something located more toward the food fair tower on the cottman side of the store if you look on flickr, Otherstreams photo shows the scar.

d_fife

toys r us in waterford http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=JxJHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jfgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4129,5122247&dq=toys+r+us+45000-square&hl=en

and when did it get remodeled too? why did they have to remodel many? and I guess in 1999 and 2000, there were more old School Toys r us'

ok, why did Toys R us enter the Denver and Salt Lake City markets in 1990 and not in the 1980s?? they missed out on the naglsota look area and many toy lines. if they had entered Denver and Salt Lake city in like 1989 and or 1988, would there have been any old school ones left there do you think? why did they close many of the ones that opened in 1992, 1993 or 1994?

d_fife

Quote from: d_fife on November 15, 2010, 05:00:42 PM
toys r us in waterford http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=JxJHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jfgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4129,5122247&dq=toys+r+us+45000-square&hl=en

and when did it get remodeled too? why did they have to remodel many? and I guess in 1999 and 2000, there were more old School Toys r us'

ok, why did Toys R us enter the Denver and Salt Lake City markets in 1990 and not in the 1980s?? they missed out on the naglsota look area and many toy lines. if they had entered Denver and Salt Lake city in like 1989 and or 1988, would there have been any old school ones left there do you think? why did they close many of the ones that opened in 1992, 1993 or 1994?

toys r us in Roanoke now http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/268706 look hard

and Woburn now: http://www.powersandco.com/properties/Woburn_HornPond.pdf and http://nerej.com/43458

LOOOK

d_fife

Quote from: d_fife on November 29, 2010, 03:32:55 AM

toys r us in Roanoke now http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/268706 look hard

and Woburn now: http://www.powersandco.com/properties/Woburn_HornPond.pdf and http://nerej.com/43458

LOOOK

HELLO, did anyone notice the pics fo the Toys R us in Roanoke and Woburn's new look. now no original Toys r us in Massachusetts or Virginia!
they need to leave the remaining old School Toys r us' alone!

Check out this youtube video of the GRAND OPENING of a Toys "R" Us store in Liverpool, NSW, Australia, on Wonder World, March 9, 1994:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKWKSD35-MA

Bdubs

I believe that TRU in Waterford got a remodel around 99 or 00.  Before that, it was the "old school" brown facade with colorful logo.  In the rear of the building, the customer pickup sign is still the old brown and orange color from the 80's. 
For a long time in the early to mid 90's, right down the road was a Babys R Us in its own building.  Currently a Petco there now.
They moved it into TRU for a while, then moved it into yet another newer shopping center down the road near Dick's Sporting Goods.  And then, it inevitably moved back in TRU where it presently is.

Toys "R" Us is currently selling retro Toys "R" Us shopping bags.

d_fife

StoreLiker2006

Could anyone on this board please help me on this?

I would like to know the store #s for the three original TRU locations in Oregon that opened in Clackamas, Jantzen Beach and Tigard, all of which opened sometime in the spring or summer of 1980. All three builds have since changed on the outside.

Attached is a photograph of the Jantzen Beach TRU situated at 1800 Jantzen Beach Ctr. Dr. in Portland, OR. Note there are no longer any visible traces of its 1980 beginnings.

The Tigard location situated at 10065 SW Cascade Ave., across OR-217 from Washington Square mall, appears not to have been remodeled outside since circa 2000.

~Ben

d_fife

I wish they looked lik the old look

Quote from: StoreLiker2006 on July 14, 2011, 07:29:24 PM

I would like to know the store #s for the three original TRU locations in Oregon that opened in Clackamas, Jantzen Beach and Tigard, all of which opened sometime in the spring or summer of 1980. All three builds have since changed on the outside.

Attached is a photograph of the Jantzen Beach TRU situated at 1800 Jantzen Beach Ctr. Dr. in Portland, OR. Note there are no longer any visible traces of its 1980 beginnings.

The Tigard location situated at 10065 SW Cascade Ave., across OR-217 from Washington Square mall, appears not to have been remodeled outside since circa 2000.

~Ben

StoreLiker2006

Quote from: d_fife on December 09, 2011, 04:02:23 AM

I wish they looked lik the old look

Quote from: StoreLiker2006 on July 14, 2011, 07:29:24 PM

~Ben
Okay, the store #s are:
Jantzen Beach: 8004
Clackamas: 8005
Tigard: 8006

~Ben

d_fife

read this http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/search.htm  says the Toys r us in Cedar RApids and WAco texas will be convered to side by side BAbies r us toys r us, MEANING THEY WILL LOSE THE OLD SCHOOL LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: d_fife on December 23, 2011, 08:57:04 PM
read this http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/search.htm  says the Toys r us in Cedar RApids and WAco texas will be convered to side by side BAbies r us toys r us, MEANING THEY WILL LOSE THE OLD SCHOOL LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like anyone else here cares...

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 30, 2011, 12:05:31 PM

Mays Landing, New Jersey

Cool store they kept the rainbow planks.

However it's just a matter of time when the new sign, beige paint, and utter blandness befalls this unique store.