Papa Gino's

Started by C. Fontaine, April 08, 2005, 10:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

"Pizza at it's best"

Also my current job, going on three years asst. manager, I just had to post this restaurant.  Papa Ginos operates over two hundred restaraunts in the northeast.  This summer however, they are beginning to franchise, instead of corporately owning every location, and are expected to stretch deep into middle America and as far south as Florida.  I used to love their pizza back in the day, but since I've worked there, and as any of you who have worked in food before, everything there begins to taste the same after being around it all day.  So I've pretty much lost a taste for their food, but I do eat at our sister company D'angelo's all the time.

Zayre88

It's been awhile since i went to Papa Gino's.  I do remember one of my last visit at a restaurant in Albany NY.  

We had a long day on the road and we finally had pizza at Papa Gino's late in the evening.  It was good and i especially remember those black plastic forks !! :roll:

C. Fontaine

Yep!  We still use those today!  A hint to anyone going to Papa Ginos, we keep the sturdy black utensils behind the counter...  all you will find in the condiment area is cheap white bendable silverware...  Hehehe...

By the way, here's the new big and cheesy promotion!

BillyGr

Here's a Papa Ginos in Pittsfield, MA.  It's in the building that has the abandoned Bradlees - as a matter of fact it is the only thing left in the building (had the Bradlees and 3 or 4 small shops at one time).  There are a bank and a 99 (former Red Lobster/Chinese buffet) in separate outbuildings, but all in all the place is quite desserted looking.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Here's a Papa Ginos in Pittsfield, MA.  It's in the building that has the abandoned Bradlees - as a matter of fact it is the only thing left in the building (had the Bradlees and 3 or 4 small shops at one time).  There are a bank and a 99 (former Red Lobster/Chinese buffet) in separate outbuildings, but all in all the place is quite desserted looking.

This reminds me of the Lakes Region Plaza in Gilford NH.  Papa Gino's and the Cinema are the two remaining stores in the building.  Kmart, a supermarket, Osco Drug and 3 or 4 small stores closed leaving the plaza empty.  

The old plaza was demolished to make way for a future Hannaford.  The project would include Papa Gino's because they still have a lease at their location!

http://www.geocities.com/zayre88/plaza-lakes.html

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

Wow, I would really not want to buy food from a building  in that poor of condition.

Crawford

Delicious Neapolitan style thin crust pizza. I think this was founded in Boston. Stores have closed and opened off and on through the years. Seem to be pretty successful but not exactly blockbuster. Usually found in malls and shopping plazas, the free standing restaurants seem to have come about in the 80's.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

this d'angelo's is in north windham maine and was arby's.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
It's been awhile since i went to Papa Gino's.  I do remember one of my last visit at a restaurant in Albany NY.  

We had a long day on the road and we finally had pizza at Papa Gino's late in the evening.  It was good and i especially remember those black plastic forks !! :roll:

And that restaurant (the one on Wolf Road across from Colonie Center) has been gone for quite a while, also.

But  --- they are coming back - there is a plan for a location at the corner of Wolf & Albany Shaker Roads (opposite end of Wolf from Colonie Center - a long closed service station) - it had been announced a while back as a Papa Gino's / D'Angelo's combination, but just today there was an announcement that it will instead be Papa Gino's and a Quiznos (no idea why, since neither PG or D'A have locations in NY at this time).

UPDATE - The why is that the Times Union made an error - it is still going to be Papa Gino's and D'Angelo's

d_fife

papa gino's pulled otu of vermont: they had ones in university mall in burlington and bennington: closed in Keene, claremont and lebanon nh to become Boston market 10 years ago, but closed, claremont never became Boston market. They closed in south portland in the mall plaza, and only lasted a brief time in bangor on bangor mall blvd and union st; ellsworth and brunswick.

this is the one in methuen on merrimack plaza.

from http://www.senateconstruction.com/projects/merrimack.shtml

d_fife

BillyGr

The location in North Adams - in a plaza in front of the (former) Kmart.  This store faces the parking area with the back towards a street - not sure if they have entrances from both (some of the stores in the plaza did (do)).

d_fife

here is the former papa gino's in bangor maine near the bangor mall and it lasted like 3 years maybe.

d_fife

here is the former bangor one that was on airport plaza

Marc82

Papa Ginos used to be in both Bristol and Southington. Both became Bruegerr's Bagels. Both closed after only a couple years. The Bristol one is now Aspen Dental. The Southington one is now Randy's Wooster Street Pizza. The nearest Papa Ginos to where I live is the new one they built in the "new" Super Stop & Shop Palza in New Britain.

D'Angelo's in Southington just re-opened a month ago after being closed for renovations for a month. Gone is the old green sign, replaced with a red sign. I haven't been to D'Angelos in years.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Papa Ginos used to be in both Bristol and Southington. Both became Bruegerr's Bagels. Both closed after only a couple years. The Bristol one is now Aspen Dental. The Southington one is now Randy's Wooster Street Pizza. The nearest Papa Ginos to where I live is the new one they built in the "new" Super Stop & Shop Palza in New Britain.

D'Angelo's in Southington just re-opened a month ago after being closed for renovations for a month. Gone is the old green sign, replaced with a red sign. I haven't been to D'Angelos in years.

There's a very old Papa Ginos located right across Bradley Airport. I used to go to the Southington one a lot as a kid. The Wooster St. Pizza there now does it justice though. Because I was on Queen St. a few days ago, I noticed they revamped D'Angelos giving the store a refined, bistro look. It abandons their 1970s facade on locations in Plainville and the very retro Bristol/Rt.6 one.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Randy's Wooster Street Pizza Route 10 in Southington formerly Papa Gino's. (Later Brugger's Bagels)

d_fife

here is the closed papa gino's in new britian (or new britain) Ct store closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the closed papa gino's in new britian (or new britain) Ct store closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

notice on the papa gino's in new britain store.

Marc82

What does the note say? This location closed?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
What does the note say? This location closed?

yes and the one in vernon is still open,  but that is 20 miles away. when did it close? I did not like new britian that much. But what is with papa gino's loosing CT stores

here is the one in vernon CT in the price chopper plaza

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

danglo in west hartford ct near shaw's.

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

danglo in laconia nh in the old arby's and this is danglo's new logo and stuff.

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

now in old one in bangor me in airport plaza.