Providence Place Mall

Started by dayville81, January 15, 2006, 11:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayville81

This mall located in downtown Providence opened in 1999 with shopping, entertainment and dining. The mall is anchored by Filene's and Nordstrom. JC Penney will soon be opening up in the former Lord and Taylor store. The food court has Ben & Jerry's, Johny Rocket's, Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits, and others. Above the food court on the left side is a 16 screen theatre and an IMAX theatre. On the right side is a Dave & Buster's with a formal dining room, a game room with a variety of different arcade games with pool tables, and three different types of bars. Restaurants in the mall include Cheesecake Factory, Joe's American Bar & Grill, Fire & Ice, Napa Valley Grill, Smoky Bones BBQ, and UNO Chicago Grill.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
This mall located in downtown Providence opened in 1999 with shopping, entertainment and dining. The mall is anchored by Filene's and Nordstrom. JC Penney will soon be opening up in the former Lord and Taylor store. The food court has Ben & Jerry's, Johny Rocket's, Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits, and others. Above the food court on the left side is a 16 screen theatre and an IMAX theatre. On the right side is a Dave & Buster's with a formal dining room, a game room with a variety of different arcade games with pool tables, and three different types of bars. Restaurants in the mall include Cheesecake Factory, Joe's American Bar & Grill, Fire & Ice, Napa Valley Grill, Smoky Bones BBQ, and UNO Chicago Grill.

I loved this mall despite how upscale it was. the 200,000 square foot filene's opened october 1999. the 197,000 square foot nordstrom opened. The mall opened august 20, 1999. The 126,000 squre foot lord and taylor opened spring 1999. the mall is 1.3 million square feet. old navy, borders books, smokey bones BBQ, pizeria uno, fire and ice and cheesecake factory are on the streetside of the mall. it is 5 levels. Bed bath and beyond is on one level of the mall. the mall was about 15 years in the making and broke ground march 1997.

I loved this mall. the mall is very upscale. it had no FYE or suncoast, but it has a big newbury comics. the disney store closed 3 yeras ago. it was hard getting to the mall and you have to pay to park. Jc penny opens the spring. Lord and taylor closed june 2005.  THE MALL HAS FVLOOR CARPETING. THIS MALL WAS INTERSTING!! the mall had Kb toys, hallmark store, CVS, spencer gifts. THE FILEen's will become macy's.

here is an indoor picture of the mall
from www.dkolb.org/.../index/ mallsand/chocolat.html

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

I loved this mall despite how upscale it was. the 200,000 square foot filene's opened october 1999. the 197,000 square foot nordstrom opened. The mall opened august 20, 1999. The 126,000 squre foot lord and taylor opened spring 1999. the mall is 1.3 million square feet. old navy, borders books, smokey bones BBQ, pizeria uno, fire and ice and cheesecake factory are on the streetside of the mall. it is 5 levels. Bed bath and beyond is on one level of the mall. the mall was about 15 years in the making and broke ground march 1997.

I loved this mall. the mall is very upscale. it had no FYE or suncoast, but it has a big newbury comics. the disney store closed 3 yeras ago. it was hard getting to the mall and you have to pay to park. Jc penny opens the spring. Lord and taylor closed june 2005.  THE MALL HAS FVLOOR CARPETING. THIS MALL WAS INTERSTING!!

here is an indoor picture of the mall
from www.dkolb.org/.../index/ mallsand/chocolat.html

this mall is in downtown providence too and is against the highway.

from http://www.providenceri.com/richardbenjamin/rb_3.html

dayville81

It is weird how there is no elevator that goes between all five floors. One set of elevators go from parking garage to the lower level of the mall. Another set of elevators down a side hallway goes between lower level and upper level and middle of the mall has an elevator going from there to the third "Entertainment" Level. Dave and Buster's is a fun place and has good food. Cheesecake Factory has good food as well and the best cheesecake ever.

d_fife

a kid jumped off a escalator here recently and got killed.

I visited this mall 6 months ago. everyone i know from southeastern mass has been to this mall. I wonder why JC Penny is coming to this mall when JC penny is not as upscale as the mall and they have one in warwick.

dayville81

There was a riot at the mall when the theatre showed Get Rich or Die Tryin'. 150 people were involved, police called in, sections of the mall sectioned off. Fight happened around 9:20, mall closes at 9:30 except for Filene's which stays open til 10 and Dave and Busters stays open til 1 or 2. They closed the theatre for the rest of the night even though the fight happened in the food court below.

dayville81

The introduction of JC Penney into the Providence Place Mall is part of their effort to target higher-class people just like how they went into the Brass Mills Center Mall which at one time was targeted toward high-class people despite it being a few blocks from a bad neighborhood. The mall has since changed its image to reflect that of most malls targeting middle-income people. Whether JC Penney at Providence will have more expensive clothes or different kinds than other stores remains to be seen yet.

Crawford

I don't particular care for this mall, between the unpleasant gangs and having to pay for parking, I can get the same stores in Emerald Mall or along Route 1 headed that way. There was a lot of controversy over this mall opening, whether it would really revitalize downtown Providence. I suppose it has to a point, but hardly a month goes by without something bad happening here. Just a trivia note, the mall is built on a former rail yard and also part of the URI campus dorms. The church across the street was damaged by the vibrations caused by the pounding of the foundation stones.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

dayville81

They can really sock it to you with parking fees if you are there more than 3 hours. There is no validated parking like they had before. I think they should lower the rates.

Caldor1999

macys will be there this year too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

The introduction of JC Penney into the Providence Place Mall is part of their effort to target higher-class people just like how they went into the Brass Mills Center Mall which at one time was targeted toward high-class people despite it being a few blocks from a bad neighborhood. The mall has since changed its image to reflect that of most malls targeting middle-income people. Whether JC Penney at Providence will have more expensive clothes or different kinds than other stores remains to be seen yet.

JC Penny isent really that High class compaired to Lord & Taylor Noredstrom Bloomingdales and Neman Marcus or even Macys or Filenes if there trying to make it up scale i would add onme of the stores i listed above but JC Penny is better then nothing they have improved
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

JC Penny isent really that High class compaired to Lord & Taylor Noredstrom Bloomingdales and Neman Marcus or even Macys or Filenes if there trying to make it up scale i would add onme of the stores i listed above but JC Penny is better then nothing they have improved

I wodner why this Lord and taylor closed when it fit this mall well and is a better match than JC Penny. I will nto be surprised if the JC penny closes 2 yeras later a nd becomes bloomingdale's or NEman Marcus.

in a 1997 article it said WArner Brothers store was one of the stores to be scheduled was warner brothers in this mall as the mall opened 2 yeras before the warner brothers chain closed.

C. Fontaine

I live up the street from this mall, there is always something going on.  From terrorism and bomb drills to riots and very frequent escalator jumpers.

But your not going to believe this.  An "artist" built an apartment in the mall parking garage, without anyone noticing for four years!  I might go look for this thing later today when I get out of work.

http://www.trummerkind.com/mall/Living_in_the_Mall.html

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I live up the street from this mall, there is always something going on.  From terrorism and bomb drills to riots and very frequent escalator jumpers.

But your not going to believe this.  An "artist" built an apartment in the mall parking garage, without anyone noticing for four years!  I might go look for this thing later today when I get out of work.

http://www.trummerkind.com/mall/Living_in_the_Mall.html

this is stupid you might agree: last years September I walked through the parking garage alone at night (Around close) to get to my car). its easy to forget where your car is here.

oh, about my college, OVER HALF OF MY COLLEGE HAS BEEN TO THIS MALl. I like this mall, but why did Smokey bones close?

the mall was in the making for 15 years before opening. and even a special exit is for this. I know this mall is part of the cause of hte WArwick mall and Rhode island mall and Swansea loosing their luster.

C. Fontaine

Actually, you know whats pretty neat about this mall.  It technically never closes.  The doors are always open, just the shops close.  This is because the movie theater and Dave and Busters are open till two and later.  You could go there at four in the morning and park in the garage, or just walk through the mall!  Their Smokey Bones closed a few months back.  No warning to even the employees.  Corporate called and told them to let everyone go, and by the end of the week everything was moved out of the space including the signage.  I guess it was part of a mass shuttering of many Smokey Bones locations throughout the country.

There are rumors of an Olive Garden (same company) moving in, or Uno's may buy the space and expand.

Brammy

Reviving this thread from 12 years ago.

JC Penney closed after a round of closings. It was either in 2014 or 2015. The building was torn down for another parking garage.

Nordstrom closed in 2018 and that space became a Boscov's in October 2019.

Carlo's Bakery (of Cake Boss Fame) opened in 2019.
The Real Brammy