Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmart4life

Pictures\Caldor.jpg

MikeRa

Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 28, 2011, 10:30:35 PM

The only stores in the Philadelphia area that used the front awing design with the sloped section over the doorway wasn't Caldor, but Lit Brothers in Plymouth Meeting, PA and Voorhees, NJ.  I wionder if both Caldor and City Stores (owners of Lit Brothers) used the same building designers.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Caldor1999

caldor in yonkers NY

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Lastdaysofrain

Those photos are great!

TRJ_22487

Baltimore, Maryland - Severna Park Mall - Transformation of Woolco to Caldor in early 1983/School shopping September 1983

Here is the entrance facing out showing more of the mall in Baltimore, Maryland - Severna Park Mall - June 1983

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severna_Park_Mall
Severna Park Mall opened as a small, local mall in 1975; originally, its anchor stores included Grant City and Giant Foods.[citation needed] The Grant City store was short-lived, with Woolco taking its place after one year; after Woolco's closure in 1982, this space was occupied by Caldor.[citation needed]

However, as with most smaller regional malls, Severna Park started to decline. Caldor closed in September 1989 after failing to reach a lease agreement with the mall's management, re-opened in October 1991, but closed for good when the entire chain liquidated in 1999. After being mainly an empty mall in the 1990s, Severna Park was largely demolished; only the former Caldor building remained, with Kohl's moving into this building shortly afterward. The rest of the mall was replaced with a strip mall known as Severna Park Marketplace, which featured a new Giant supermarket, as well as several big box tenants

Caldor1999

were did u find these photos??
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

TRJ_22487

November 18th, 1993 Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Grand Opening. Former Jefferson Ward vacant eight years.

Caldor1999

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on May 10, 2012, 09:50:28 PM
November 18th, 1993 Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Grand Opening. Former Jefferson Ward vacant eight years.

were did you find these ????
Caldor Forever!

TRJ_22487

They are eBay finds and the watermarks are of the newspapers that first published them
Here is the same location as the above post before remodel of Almart/Jefferson Ward
According to this article, it was to become a Bradlees in 1985, but the company decided against it as they favored one floor operations.
It sat vacant until 1993 when Caldor took it over.

Caldor1999

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on May 28, 2012, 09:29:33 AM
They are eBay finds and the watermarks are of the newspapers that first published them
Here is the same location as the above post before remodel of Almart/Jefferson Ward
According to this article, it was to become a Bradlees in 1985, but the company decided against it as they favored one floor operations.
It sat vacant until 1993 when Caldor took it over.

ohh cause for years i have been trying to find any image of the bedford hills/mount kisco caldor was wondering if i could find it on there
Caldor Forever!

TRJ_22487

Hopefully as time goes on more and more newspapers will digitize their database for an online audience as these newspapers have. I remember the Keene Sentinel in my hometown taking pictures of stores like Rich's and Bradlees and have always badly wanted to re-see those photographs

Kmart4life

Is it true what I read on Wikipedia about Caldor? Saying that in November 1998 11 million filers went out that accidently featured two boys grinning and playing Scrabble with the word RAPE spelled in the center of the board? My reason for asking is because sometimes the information on that site is wrong.

TRJ_22487

Quote from: Kmart4life on July 01, 2012, 01:03:49 PM
Is it true what I read on Wikipedia about Caldor? Saying that in November 1998 11 million filers went out tha accidently featured two boys grinning and playing Scrabble with the wor RAPE spelled in the center of the board? My reason for asking is because sometimes the infornation on that site is wrong.

That is 100% true. I literally just saw the flyer up for auction on eBay last week, I saw it with my own eyes, possibly even the seller is the one who updated the wikipedia entry. But yes, in late 1998 there was a rather infamous Caldor toys flyer that featured the word RAPE shown on the Scrabble board with two young boys playing and smiling.

Edit: Here is the CNN article from 1998. It was a well known incident.
http://money.cnn.com/1998/11/05/bizbuzz/caldor/

Here is more info on the flyer
http://ebay.co.ua/catalog/show/120867957795/

Kmart4life

Wow that was a fatel error, it would be cool to go back in time and see all the great stores that have fallen to the wayside. Long live defunct retail.

Lastdaysofrain

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on July 01, 2012, 01:17:05 PM
Quote from: Kmart4life on July 01, 2012, 01:03:49 PM
Is it true what I read on Wikipedia about Caldor? Saying that in November 1998 11 million filers went out tha accidently featured two boys grinning and playing Scrabble with the wor RAPE spelled in the center of the board? My reason for asking is because sometimes the infornation on that site is wrong.

That is 100% true. I literally just saw the flyer up for auction on eBay last week, I saw it with my own eyes, possibly even the seller is the one who updated the wikipedia entry. But yes, in late 1998 there was a rather infamous Caldor toys flyer that featured the word RAPE shown on the Scrabble board with two young boys playing and smiling.

Edit: Here is the CNN article from 1998. It was a well known incident.
http://money.cnn.com/1998/11/05/bizbuzz/caldor/

Here is more info on the flyer
http://ebay.co.ua/catalog/show/120867957795/

I also have a copy of that flyer, so I can confirm it.

TRJ_22487

More Baltimore area Caldors

1983 Timonium Mall. This location was Stewart's Dept Store previously, and was Caldor until 1999.

As a massive Beatles fan, I immediately recognized what issue of People Magazine was on the shelves

1987 Reisterstown, Maryland Caldor is first to shut down. Caldor returned to this mall in 1993 with an updated store to replace a closed Ames.

ynkeesfn82

Amy Grey the 10AM-3PM DJ on Radio 104.1 WMRQ in Glastonbury, Connecticut worked at the Caldor on Route 6 in Bristol, Connecticut.

jerseygearhead

Quote from: Caldor1999 on March 08, 2010, 04:10:18 PM
heres the caldor in woodbrige NJ when it was open it has since been turned into a shoprite

taken from stridride

I was making a post on the Supermarket section about Shoprite and couldn't figure out what it was originally. I was thinking Service Merchandise but that was in a plaza further down Route 1...Of course it had to be a Caldor!

coolbabes

I painted this loosely based on the above photo:

Caldor1999

Caldor Woodbury, NJ Inside i believe this one has since been torn down recently or it could be standing this picture was taken in 2007
Caldor Forever!

buzz86us

The Caldor stores I remember are now Pricerite (schenectady plaza) and Best Buy/Glow Mini Golf (2 story caldor in Crossgates Mall),

Caldor1999

Caldor CD mix personally i dont remember any of these  :P
Caldor Forever!

TRU7536

Quote from: Caldor1999 on February 18, 2013, 10:34:09 AM
Caldor Woodbury, NJ Inside i believe this one has since been torn down recently or it could be standing this picture was taken in 2007

I been inside the Newington CT Caldor when I use to work for Toys R Us. We had their keyes and we had some storage in there. Wasn't in good shape at all either!

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 07, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

I been inside the Newington CT Caldor when I use to work for Toys R Us. We had their keyes and we had some storage in there. Wasn't in good shape at all either!

Did Stew Leonard's tore down Caldor's when they built their store??  It was supposed to be the prototype of the new Caldor.

Caldor1999

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 08, 2013, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on April 07, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

Did Stew Leonard's tore down Caldor's when they built their store??  It was supposed to be the prototype of the new Caldor.

that caldor opened in 1994 and had that look that most newer caldors had and the building was gutted and knocked down i was lucky enough to get some photos of it before all that work was done on it
Caldor Forever!

Kmart4life

Watching an All About dvd with my son earlier and it had an all about garbage and recycle, it showed a classic Caldor trailer on the video inside a metal recycling yard. Thought it was cool! Here is the picture.

Caldor1999

Woonsocket, Rhode Island Nov 1980
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 08, 2013, 12:40:10 AM

Oh, you mean Autumnfest parade line up rest room central? :) :)  One benefit to having the rest rooms in the lobby area.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on May 08, 2013, 08:21:59 PM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 08, 2013, 12:40:10 AM
Oh, you mean Autumnfest parade line up rest room central? :) :)  One benefit to having the rest rooms in the lobby area.

The Caldor in Bristol, CT had their restrooms in the lobby. When KMART gutted the building after Caldor closed they put the restrooms in the middle of the far right wall. When Price Chopper gutted the building they moved them again and now they're in the food court at the left side of the store. If Price Chopper had left the restrooms where KMART put them they would be in the middle of the Diary Department.

Caldor1999

Unknown Caldor Location
Caldor Forever!